šŸ”· Drop THX Panda

If it doesnā€™t work, just search for: ā€œNo Sanctuary Hereā€ - Chris Jones

2 Likes

So the Panda was supposed to have an accompanying EQ app which would allow a profile to be saved to the headphones themselves. Was there an update to this I missed somewhere?

(from June last year) https://drop.com/buy/drop-wireless-headphones/talk/2653223

1 Like

lol, no you havent. No info on it in a while

1 Like

Resolve didnā€™t like them at all

1 Like

I decided to pull out my Audeze Mobius again to compare side by side, based upon the above review, and I while the Mobius isnā€™t as bad as I remember them being, Iā€™ll still stick with the Panda for music.

Comparatively speaking, in no particular order:

• Panda is much more comfortable on the head
  • The controls on the Mobius are just shit. The control nipple on the Panda is infinitely more usable. With the Mobius, I have to control track forward and back using my phone, because the push down and scroll to jump tracks absolutely does NOT work at all.
  • Thereā€™s more bass ā€œslamā€ on the Mobius; the bass on the Panda is very subdued in comparison. My hope is that the EQ in the forthcoming Panda app will help fix this.
  • There is more texture to the sound in the Mobius than the Panda. I initially doubted the above reviewer on that, but listening side by side heā€™s not wrong.
  • The ultra-wide soundstage in 7.1 mode on the Mobius compared to the very narrow soundstage on the Panda does allow things to open up a bitā€¦ give instruments and vocals room to breathe.
  • Conversely, at times some of the frequencies and tones sound distorted on the Mobius. The sound isnā€™t as ā€œcleanā€ as on the Panda.
  • Donā€™t get me started on the noise floor on the Mobius. Blarf!
  • I get far more Bluetooth connection hiccups with the Mobius than with the Panda.

Itā€™s a mixed bag. There are some things I like about the Mobius, but from a quality of life perspective, itā€™s hot garbage compared to the Panda. I find myself being annoyed by the Mobius more often than not.

5 Likes

I was really worried to see such negative review of the Panda, and I think other negative reviews exist too. DMS even gives them very poor rating for tuning and comfort in his list, although rates the detail retrieval on the same level of HD 560s, which I like. Iā€™m concerned about the negative reviews. Resolve called them ā€œlifelessā€ dammit! :smiley:

Does the Panda have batch differences (improvements, tweaks, etc.) between the Indiegogo sets and the ones Drop is selling now? There is someone selling a 3-day used pair in my area he got from Indiegogo. Thought I could save a bit and not wait forever for shipping from Drop.

Trust your ears

3 Likes

Hereā€™s my advice on looking for a review, find reviewers that has the same or similar taste in sound signature and listen to similar music genre to you. Usually that reviewer will be the one that will tell whether you will like the gear or not.

3 Likes

Also an EQ app is coming. But not a normal app. Itā€™s DSP correction, and will be saved in the headphones.

Soā€¦ if you find em lifeless you pretty much can ā€œfixā€ em with that. Well done DSP is the holy grail for some people.

1 Like

I have the pair from Indiegogo and never heard of batch difference. I believe that even the first one they sent out are the same as now. If they are not they never specified it to my knowledge.

2 Likes

I thought one of the Pandas selling points was that it didnā€™t use DSP, it was a good ā€˜naturalā€™ headphone.

I wonder if they will start to add more features to it in the long term? I donā€™t think it has microphones on both cups so ANC would not be great.

Wellā€¦

Selling point #1, thereā€™s no DSP, stock. Because theyā€™re made to sound great, naturally, out of the box, likeā€¦ well, conventional headphones.

Selling point #2, it means BT or wired sounds the same (well ā€“ same sound, not same sound quality obviously). As far as I know only AKG K361/K371-BT does that too.

Selling point #3, all ears are different, so if you like the technicalities but would like maybe a bit more bass, or less treble, etc., you can fix it via EQ. But not the normal, crappy, device-specific, program-specific EQ. Nope. DSP correction, inside the headphones, to make em sound perfect to your ears, everywhere (wait, would it work even when wired, then? Probably notā€¦)

This sounded like an ad. Oh well. You asked about selling points. :grin: I donā€™t even have these (yet?), but yeah, as you can see, Iā€™m curious, lol.

2 Likes

I legitimately notice only now that your profile pic is a girl listening to music and not, in fact, ALFā€¦

Iā€™ve been seeing ALF posting stuff here for a hot minute now. To be fair, he has the ears for itā€¦

3 Likes

I always find myself that the volume is always either too loud or too quiet. Am I the only to find that the volume control is too coarse?

1 Like

Yeah I agree with this. One flick up and itā€™s a little too loud, one flick down and itā€™s a little quiet. The goldilocks zone is always elusive it feels. I was thinking maybe volume adjustments on the phone would help but I never grab the phone when it happens and I just deal with one or the other. I wish the volume increments would be less of a big jump as they currently are or could be controlled somehow through an app where you can set it and forget it.

1 Like

Given that thereā€™s an app coming, hopefully there are level/volume adjustments in it in addition to the parametric EQ.

Are infoā€²s regarding that app been release lately? I donā€²t remember seeing something since a while, or should I say since the beginning of the campaign.

Posted January 12:

ā€œHey Folks, full app update coming (press release with partner, final dates, etc) soon but here are some details: Weā€™re working with Sonarworks to expand the features of their Sound ID application with additional support for Panda. The key additional features for Panda include over the air firmware updates and a parametric EQ customization tool. The EQ, once loaded via the SoundID application, is managed by Pandaā€™s hardware so the EQ is source agnostic. Development is at a stage where we could release a version thatā€™s 90% working to 80% of Panda customers. This is behind our scheduled target of EOY 2020, but weā€™re focused on reaching 100% working for 100% of Panda customers before we roll it out. The roll out process will require one firmware update done via cable (windows and mac wizards, standard stuff) to get all Pandas up to the firmware with DSP cores enabled, and all future updates will be OTA via the SoundID application. Weā€™re close and anticipate release before end of the month, but weā€™re not going to release until itā€™s ready for everyone. Thanks for your patience and feel free to download the SoundID application while you wait for the Panda update.ā€œ

1 Like

I have this exact issue. I want like 1/2 way between where the amp is on and where it is off for my normal listening