šŸ”· EarMen Donald DAC

Making their products, yes, but pricing them properly not so much lol

1 Like

Oops. I stopped joking and read the page, yeah, I thought it was just an amp.

I believe theyā€™re all about funny jokes with their names, though. Their next dongle dack is even called Sparrow. Like, just plug your headphone Jack into the Sparrow :thinking:

Edit: Lol, yes I wrote donald dack. No Iā€™m not correcting it, sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

The sparrow is their competition to the dragonfly red lol, actually pretty good. Also you would think they would try to not make themselves sound like chifi being a us company (I think)

You mean a US company like Schiit audio :laughing:

pretty cool, always nice to have more options in the budget range for dacs. Also MQA on a $99 dac is probably a big deal for some people

@Monā€¦ This Donald dac from Earman looks interestingā€¦ Is it in your opinion superior to or equal to the multibit dac card in the Asgard 3ā€¦ I like the simplicity of the earman and am curious.

well, being he compared it to the E30, itā€™s not got anything on the MB in the Asgard 3.

Different type of sound, the multibit card is better at recreation of space, timbre, and also prevention of harshness, that being said though itā€™s not the most detailed for the price and off memory the Donald might be slightly more detailed, but I would stick with the mb card unless you want a cleaner sound

I was not considering it for replacement as I am really enjoying the sound from the A3ā€¦I was just curious as to how it soundedā€¦ Thank youā€¦

should i get the ENOG2 PRO or this sound quality wise and features

So I think it depends, if you really wanted something balanced for a balanced amp, or if you wanted to use optical, I would go with the enog 2 pro. But if you wanted something with usb, didnā€™t need balanced, and wanted mqa this is a solid choice imo. What amp would you be pairing it with?

the atom cause it was a good budget amp and I canā€™t confide in schiits shit

1 Like

Gotcha. In that case, I would say go for the donald dac if you wanted something neutral and clean, or if you wanted a bit more fun (w shape) with more features like a remote or dac filters, the topping e30 imo

1 Like

Damn youā€¦ Between that comment and my 2 year old nephew, I keep seeing this thread pop up and singing that in my headā€¦

3 Likes

Let me make it worse. Discovered from the ā€œlisten to tonightā€ thread in April.

2 Likes

is the topping e30 worth it when the sk10 exist or is it bad

So they are most likely comparable but I havenā€™t tried the sk10 yet so I canā€™t really say, I will say that generally I feel topping does a bit better job in implementation than smsl but idk, I would personally trust topping more than smsl for dacs but again I canā€™t really say

1 Like

have you seen this? Asr reviewed it well

Iā€™ve seen it, if you check the topping e30 thread there is mention of it as well. Generally all these budget dacs sound more similar than not, so I wouldnā€™t be too concerned. Itā€™s probably similar but again I havenā€™t heard it so I canā€™t say for sure

Kind of a bummer EarMan doesnā€™t have a higher tier dac to purchase. I really like the donaldā€™s neutral nature and how it just does itā€™s job really well for a very affordable price. Makes me want to try something with a similar sound signature but better technicalities.