Ears potentially broken, need help

Anyway, forget the PC, that issue will be fixed.

After some more research, I’m considering either placing an order for an Argon Mk3, or a Monolith M1060C. Leaning more towards M1060C because the lead time on those Argons might kill me with anticipation. And yes, I am aware that the M1060C has a shit ass headband. If anyone has any better alternatives, please be my guest and share. I am looking for something within the same price range of the two aforementioned headphones.

They are quite as fuck you can get them in grey or black which is great. I also said be quite! Which make quite and nice looking stuff. But the PC stuff was mornelike a joke than anything

I swapped my m1060 headband with a hifiman strap, and it worked better, but the easier solution is a zmf pilot pad

Edit: also have you checked out the hifiman sundara?

@RiceGuru I originally was gonna go with a be quiet! case and AIO. Everywhere I looked, they could only ship from Germany which would’ve been at least a three month wait. Alternatively I got a Fractal Design case, AIO, and a whole set of be quiet! case fans.

@M0N Those Sundara’s sure do look pretty. Do you know how they compare to the m1060s?

I would say I prefer them to the m1060 (I have not heard the c) because they are more neutral and detailed, but not as wide as the m1060. The comfort is good and they are not very heavy, but the cups don’t swivel so that’s something to take note of. I could wear them for a while without any discomfort. Build quality issues aren’t that common with this model (comparing past hifiman), although I think both the 1060 and the sundara feel kinda cheap when it comes to the headband, as the cups are fairly nice on both. They are not super amp picky and can be powered off of most decent headphone amps. Cables aight. Can sound a bit unnatural but definitely a step above the m1060 (and most likely the c, except in bass, where there might just be physically more).

I actually prefer the HE560 v1 (wood veneer), as I think these have slightly more detail in the treble and more bass slam (are also more fun because they are slightly v shaped), but the sundara has a better mid-range. The 560s have a headband that’s prone to cracking and need a fair bit more power and are more picky when it comes to amps, but I think they also have a slightly more organic timbre.

Overall, I would say the sundara is an excellent value and technicality wise superior to the m1060. I’ve heard the c is slightly better then the original m1060, but I still would recommend the sundara over the m1060 for a main headphone.

nice! personally not the biggest fractal fan not the biggest fan of their design philosophy but should help with the noise.

What do you mean by that? One thing that kind of caught me off guard was the fact that they claim all of their products are “Designed and Engineered in Sweden”, but then all of their stuff says made in China. Makes me wish I had got that be quiet! case. Can’t go wrong with German engineering.

By the way, just placed an order for an M1060c. It was close between those and the Sundaras but at this moment it time, I’d prefer closed back over open, and I do like that I can mod the cups to be open if I’d ever want that in the future. The only thing that worries me is potential quality control issues, namely that headband.

I really haven’t had any quality issues with my 1060 headband, and TBH it wasn’t horribly uncomfortable, it just kinda gave me a hotspot after more than 2-3 hours. I don’t think you will have a build quality problem

Well that’s good to hear, and from what it sounds like, the headband is easy to replace. I did order these through Amazon so I do have a 30-day refund window. I’ll be sure to test these cans out more than I have the last few sets.

The M1060c’s have arrived. My immediate thoughts:

Not as good as the M50x’s
The headband truly sucks ass

Alright…I might believe you that your ears are broken :joy: BUT! Instead of trying to find something you like more, why not just enjoy M50x? Cheaper that way anyway.

Because I need a separate set of headphones anyway, I guess I could just get another set of M50x’s. By the way I just took the cups off of them and they sound a ton better.

1 Like

So you prefer wider sounding open back then?

Haven’t really used either configuration all that much yet. I’m maybe two hours into using them. Taking the cups off made the sound clearer and more spacious and unlike the X2’s, it didn’t sound like it was 50 yards away.

It would be nice to easily switch between open or closed without having to undo the screws every time. The M560’s had a magnet on the cup that allowed for that right? Curious if anyone has ever modded the 1060c’s with that capability.

That would be a neat mod. But since adding magnets close to the driver could potentially have a negative impact on sound, I don’t imagine anyone’s tried it.

I mean you don’t have to use magnets you could maybe use a pressure seal of some sort to do so or a screw mechanism

https://armattanproductions.com/pages/product_details/19493 Do a carbon grill mod for the M1060c, a pair is less than 30 bucks.

Yeah like a twist and lock mechanism might work, although you would have to design it in a way that would seal it a bit.