Entry level recommendations or advice

@WaveTheory awesome! I’ve been wanting to make the VBSS subs from avsforum.

@BluJay614 if you are somewhat handy, these could be a very good price to performance option.

Hmmm… Its an extra $30 for the 55 inch from Best Buy for that TV, and that sub is one that I have eyeballed.
How about this:

Speakers: Jamo 5.0 $200 (linked at beginning)
Receiver: torn between the Yamaha you mentioned, and the renewed Denon I linked earlier (lower cost vs future expantion)
Subwoofer: Same BIC, but $217 on Amazon
TV: TCL 55S425 - Currently $300 from Best Buy
Disc Player: Probably the same Blueray player you listed
TV cabinet/media center: Insignia NS-HWD1848 (plenty of storage, and I could see the virtical space being used for an HTPC) $165 at Best Buy
Speaker Stands: Pearlsmith for the rear ($38 on Amazon) and the Rockville stands Z uses ($75 on Amazon)

I say…still have your stimulus money? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Blew it, sadly. My folks found out I got mine and decided I was their piggy bank since I am stuck staying at their place. Hell, with my step-dad, if it is in his house, it is his property.

That sucks. But, head high. If it’s a true goal you can assemble a good HT in time. I’ve never had a particularly good salary, but over time put together a really enjoyable mid-level HT. Deal hunt. Go piece by piece. Realize that unless you’re ready to spend $$$ every year the tech will leave you behind and that’s OK. It’ll happen. My current system tops out at 1080p and 7.1 Dolby HD and DTS-HD MA. It’s not current tech. But it still looks great and sounds deliciously immersive. The whole family loves to watch movies in the basement now.

1 Like

Oh, sadly I am all too aware. I can say that I am considering just making my own speaker cables.
Monoprice Banana Plugs - 5 pack for ~$7

I did the banana plug thing too. TBH, on the whole it wasn’t worth it, IMO. I appreciate them on the rare times I need to unplug a speaker wire. But unlike headphones, at least for me, I’m not constantly switching out speakers. Unless I become a reviewer someday and am plugging in new speakers every week, using the bare wire connection works just fine.

Jamo Concert 5.1 Bundle

https://www.adorama.com/ja1066712k1.html?sdtid=14051837&emailprice=t&sterm=3WvTRaRD6xyOU020TWXZ0S3wUkiwgLzZTUK9UU0&utm_source=rflaid62905

Is that honestly a better way to go for the money? For an apartment?

Sure. Buy it, Sell the Sub on Craigslist . When you move to house , buy a Good Sub.

the $199 S803 HCS 5.0 set would be Fine - many on r/budgetaudiophile run that set - some upgraded the center to S83, some are Happy with S81 center that comes with it.

I think I would go with the S803 5.0 set up with a better sub. Kinda like the look of them better anyways.

I make it a point not to get on reddit if at all possible, or I am looking for something incredibly specific.
As for the S83 vs S81 centers… I have no idea as to how different they actually are, or how buying a slightly different center is going to make that big of a difference.

Tiny bit more fuller sound. Bit more volume and feel on mid-range and bass.
On modern level’s and just dialog. Probably not that different.
With action movies might get better idea with the difference. Specially if going without a sub first.

1 Like

Good to know… Too bad the white is fucking $20 less then the black

I’d rather spend the $150 extra on a sub, the difference between them is going to be minimal once you have a sub and.

@Freyr I am already planning on buying a sub.