Excellent IEM desktop amp/amp+DAC? (<$1000)

Congrats on finding a good synergy at a cheaper price. So are you keeping the RU6?

1 Like

Cool :+1: but to be fair most of the amps you list there were never really designed to predominately be an IEM source…if you want a totally black background then DAP’s are the way to go…saying that my iFi iDSD Micro is pretty silent on eco mode even without iEMatch enabled with OG Andros :flushed:

1 Like

Right, but I want desktop! Where battery degradation isn’t a thing to worry about, by keeping it plugged in all the time. Mojo 2 FINALLY has the 24/7 powered bypass option, but I already tried it. More of the 24/7 bypass options would be nice to see, if any DAPs can even do that currently? Also, transferring songs onto the damn thing, and dealing with some mini OS, just to listen to it sucks monkey knuts. I think Hugo 2 also has the 24/7 bypass, but no balanced. I suppose a music server thingy would be a solution, too, like that Bluesound Node. I really need to try that…

1 Like

Absolutely!!! :slight_smile: Will probably keep EF400+MLP for further headphone & speaker use/testing, and also to demo the headphones at my local hifi shop with, since the MLP is quite strong(~400mW @ 200 ohms SE!). My speakers sound really nice & super clear with EF400. I probably have no use now for: El DAC II+, A90D, Border Patrol DAC, Sanskrit, PreBox S2. The EF400 and MLP still need to burn-in another 80+ hours, so we’ll see if I can tell a difference then.

not sure about daps but some portable dac/amps have battery bypass FIIO BTR7/Xduoo XD05

1 Like

I’m only aware of 2 products that bypass the battery when external power is connected. The xDuoo XD-05 BAL (Portable DAC) & Fiio M17 (DAP). I think the Fiio Q7 (Transportable DAC) is also capable of this but I’m not sure. The above products unfortunately do not sound as natural as EF400, RU6 or Gryphon.

I tested my EF400 with some IEMs (IE 600, XENNS UP, Chu) and did not notice any noise on my unit using 4.4 Out, the above IEMs aren’t very sensitive so may be that’s why. The volume range is very limited though, I get better range when using Topping NX7 as an Amp to the EF400.

Which IEM where you using at the time of testing?

1 Like

Ah, interesting… I wonder if you simply have a clean USB signal into the EF400, compared to mine, straight from the PC? Actually, let me try using my Android phone as the source, and also try disconnecting all source input, and see if there is still noise…

With EF400 entirely disconnected, the same level of noise remains(I hear it begin at 12 o’clock with low gain, 3.5mm jack). I have been doing all testing lately with AFUL Performer5, and a little Hook-X HBB.

Let’s try my best power cable now, in a different power strip… Same results.

Good to know! :slight_smile: I think Hugo 2 will have something to say about that…!

1 Like

True I guess and I suppose a bypass will extend the battery life but ultimately they will fail. My iBasso has a switchable monitoring option to help the longevity of the battery by only allowing it only charge to 80% while plugged in how effect this is another matter lol but mine stays plugged in a lot of the time.

Hugo 2 won’t give you a black background when using sensitive IEM’s though :pensive:

1 Like

Well. Wow. :frowning: I suppose it is like 35 years old, by now, in audiophile years.

I had a discussion with @M0N about the Hugo2 (it’s on here somewhere) a couple of years ago iirc about me wanting to get a Hugo2 as my main IEM source, he said it’ll be fine but don’t expect zero background noise especially with sensitive sets like Andro…I bailed and said I’m happy to wait for Hugo3, his reply…don’t hold your breath or something along those lines lol…That’s why I ended up going down the DAP route, yeah I know they don’t last forever especially if you stream like me and yes I only use it on the barge or at a desk but the small footprint, mostly battery powered (v good on a barge) just made sense in my use case scenario but I can quite understand your view point :+1:

PS…with your penchant for R2R best you don’t try L&P’s P6Pro :wink::wink::smile:

1 Like

Even up to the latest generation of Chord devices, the background is “dirty”!

Sensitive in-ears, like some Campfire Audio models, always have a slight noise in the background when no music is being played.

Nevertheless, these earphones sound outstanding in combination with both the Hugo2 and the Mojo2 and trigger a certain addiction factor.

Models such as the Questyle M15, the Cajin RU6, or the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt are pitch black and dead quiet and have an extremely natural and clean sound.

But somehow that certain something is missing sometimes. (To me at least)

Products from ifi Audio are similarly “dirty”, but their fun factor with one or the other in-ear is undoubtedly given.

A fascinating sound experience, at least for me, is always caused by the tubes “dwarfs” from xDuoo paired with in-ears.

The special Planar models will knock your socks off with this combo.

4 Likes

Please Hugo3 no dirt :pray::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I totally agree but what Xduoo amp is that? looks like an MT-604 with extra tube spaces :face_with_monocle:

Edit…ok is that the 602 next to it? :man_facepalming:

:smile: :+1:

1 Like

not enough amps need more lmao

1 Like

Hmmm, I thought so too, so I quickly went shopping again. :grin:

Desk:

Listening corner:

Bedroom:

Mobile:

Variety of sounds or madness?

I don’t know it :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

No Mojo 1…? :frowning:

now that’s more like it! I have or have had about half of those myself :joy:

Among the portable products you have, I’ve tried/owned almost all but the EarStudio and whatever DAPs are on there.

I’m curious to know what your top 2 picks are?

1 Like