(update in progress) Falenkor's Competitive Headphone Write Up. Now with added Hardware explanations!

Anything used on an aircraft is aircraft grade, ever heared of aircraft grade carpet?

2 Likes

lmao yeah. It says aircraft grade alluminum alloy. Gives me a chuckle when I read that as one of their selling points sure makes it sound great though. If I could just purchase the omni point switches myself I wouldn’t even bother with their keyboard at all.

However, it does use aircraft grade Series 5000 aluminum which is some fairly strong stuff. Not sure how that would work out for silent keyboard strokes though lol

@Falenkor Thanks for the info!
Budget: $600 max I’d say.
I’m looking for a competitive headphone for Call of Duty so I can place footsteps better but it’d be awesome if it’s still fun to listen to music as well, I generally listen to techno, rap and r&b.

I don’t know what I do and don’t like about my current Senns because they’re first good set of cans I’ve owned. I do know I like open back more than closed and like good base and clear vocals but that doesn’t fit with catching footsteps to well.

I have a yeti nano for a desk mic so it doesn’t have to have a boom but I wouldn’t mind one since it would make business calls a bit better.

I like the look of the Beyer 1990 but they’re up there in price and I’ve heard their treble can melt the brain a bit. Have you tried them?
The Tygers are sold out on beyers site but I heard they’re great value.

So, I think any of the headphones here would work in that regard. Some more than others can be deemed fun and you could do just fine with the bass that is said to be more towards neutral. Fun Factor tends to involve bass that generally isn’t found in the more ideal sense.

I own them myself. I didn’t write all these headphones up and not try them for myself and quite a few are in my collection. DT 1990s are something else entirely incredible at competitive though just not the greatest if you cant handle brightness. I stand by my notes I wrote on them above. Fun alternative to the dt 1990 would be either the 177x GO or the T1.2 however t1 demands a good amp.

They are, you can read my thoughts on them as someone who owns a pair from my link in the honorable mentions section.

So fun but good for competitive… hmm, I wanna say the aeons then or maybe the T1 in that regard as I find them some of the better of the options. Both really demand an amp but they are rather superb for having bass yet being able to play competitively especially in the case of the aeons. Aeons have a bundle on them at around… $650 margin on dan clark audios page that gives you a schiit hel, modmic uni, and the aeon RT.

You can also do fine if you are okay with modifying the T50RP as it has an extremely changeable sound signature. The same can be sound about the SHP9500 though granted the new version is hinted to be releasing next month. Thieaudio Phantom is another moddable friendly headphone. If you are okay with investing in pads and other accessories these could provide a wide variety of sound.

Fideliox2 HR is the bassier brother of the shp9500 while the shp is neutral bass fidelios is raised and more muddy in sound while keeping a good neutral yet slightly bright signature. X2HR shares the detachable cable as well though granted changing the pads can be a bit of a pain in this ones case unlike the shp where you can buy an adapter ring and just throw the pads on.

In the case of audio technica youd probably be looking at something lke the M40x as it’s more of a V signature though demands a pad change. 2.5mm detachable cable allows for a mic or bluetooth. Not bad for a portable closed back honestly. Said to do best with a cowhide pad swap.

AKG probably more towards the k7xx in this case as its bassier than the k702 while putting the treble more towards neutral instead of bright and sharing all the build qualities sound staging etc from the other k7 series.

Focal are just that… Focal. Tending to be mid centric with present brightness yet more detailed and said to be a tad bit more well rounded in the brightness so not as fatiguing. The one with the most fun signature in my opinion was the Listen Pro which is a very large W signature. Recommended trying these headphones if you have an audio store. They are really quite nice.

Sennheisers: just in general sennheiser is known to be mid centric and very detailed with an overall neutral or rather balanced tonality. 500 series is the ones with the larger soundstage and 600 series has the linear soundstage. Since its cod you could do just fine with the 600 series as they also have the best sound quality in my opinion however you could pick up a 58x Jubilee and be just fine as its the middleground. Recommended looking into the differences in their signatures as that would require me to type out a very large page of information due to just how many headphones are in those series. 500 series has the 2.5mm detachable cable and 58x jubilee and higher into the 600 they switch to a duel sided cable that can be balanced for even better sound though you need a balanced port amp for that

1 Like

Thanks again for the in-depth explanation.
Since neither the pc37x nor the shp9500 are avaiable at an affordable price (starting at 200) in my country I probably will go for the mh751. Thanks again for the help!

Of course, Glad I could help. If you have any questions, maybe the mh751 just wasn’t good for you, or you just want to drop in let me know how its going with your choice please feel free to come back and chime in on your thoughts and what you feel could be improved or what you like. I would be glad to offer some recommendations or advice from my own experience if needed.

I will add for others who want to ask me anything. If you feel the need to ask for further advice or something. Feel free to message me personally here, drop a message here, or create a thread. If I can help I will gladly chime in

1 Like

Received a bit of feedback. May convert this over to a .doc at some point if I ever get time to go more indepth with more recommendations including more all rounder headphones as well as a better explaination into amp/dacs and I don’t feel I explained things such as focals or anandas enough. I feel the write up is nice but after having it pointed out I do see some potential flaws that I could sit and remedy. I wrote this up in a bit of a rush as it’s a hell of a lot to type up. So, I may at some point go and attempt to fix it up. Not sure yet. Just don’t treat this as a gospel or ABSOLUTE GUIDE or anything. Anything in audio should always be taken as subjective opinion.

If you feel you can offer insight to improvements or potential additions please reach out and let me know. I will be happy to consider alterations or additions.

1 Like

For each paragraph that talks about one specific topic or product, put a headline above it.

# Headline

creates this:

Headline

Not able to do this right this second but thats a good idea. Isn’t there a way to make that section a drop down menu as well? may make it easier to look through that way.

like this?

If you click the gear while writing, you get the “hide details”-option

Could also do it manually by writing

[details="description goes here"]
Content of the drop down
[/details]

Shameless plug of my Formating advice thread

Yeah, like that. Alright whenever I get back I will go ahead and do some tweaks.

1 Like

I have a question about swapping pads, specifically on the Beyerdynamic DT 880. Most aftermarket pads I’ve found (e.g. Dekoni Elite) have a back membrane/covering. On the 880s (and similar models I’m sure), Beyerdynamic includes a pad that’s held in the ear cup. When switching pads, would you remove the Beyerdynamic pad, cut out the new pad’s membrane, or just double up?

I just leave it and double up. Doesn’t sound to bad to my hearing. Granted that the lesser dt series is pretty picky on which pads will destroy the sound and which don’t. I haven’t had any issues really with my elite velours. In most cases from my experience the extra membrane will dial in the treble a bit more which can be useful for a beyerdynamic headphone. You could, of course, remove the beyer pad or cut them out if you feel it’s causing some issues.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my stock DT 880 pads ripped a bit when I was re-installing them, so now it’s a question of buying new stock Beyer pads, or going with something like the Dekoni Elite velour (where I’m leaning).

Both are nice to have, especially if you plan to upgrade to like a 1990 later when it comes to the dekonis. In the case of the dekonis they are thicker and more firm unlike the very soft and breathable dt pads. I haven’t personally tested the elite velours on the 880 but I would think it should respond just fine. Had a couple people tell me that velours work well, suede is good as it balances out the sound more, and sheepskin apparently reigns back the treble but increases bass. So it’s apparently relatively flexible in its sound. Just picky

1 Like

Dekoni Elite velours are at least really comfortable… to my head at least. I use them with the DT1990s, where, in sound terms. they’re “in between” the two sets of pads that come with the headphones. I still use a passive filter from DIY-audioheaven to tame the treble peak though. I got nothin’ on the DT880s except… yeah they’re comfortable!

Have said this about these pads on several occasions in this write up as well Good pads.

I suppose its an option to enjoy the headphone more if you are more sensitive to it.

1 Like

Or EQ. I listen to enough hard media (“physical product”?) and also sadly too often in an apple environment… (you can’t make me say ecosystem! I refuse to say… d’ohh) for APOS EQ… .

Of course if you’re not bothered by the peak, then the whole problem goes away and you’re left with some killer headphones! just making the point that pads alone might not be enough of an adjustment for lots of people.

I mean, yeah you can also do that as well. Many ways to tame it down to be more comfortable which is nice. Though, I am someone personally who is a little biased towards the brighter spectrum of headphones and can sit with the T90 without issues as well as the DT 990 so I don’t really have any issues with it… However, I will definitely call sibilance out if I hear it. In the 1990s case while it’s definitely bright it mainly just depended on the recording itself I found that may lead to some sibilance, or rather just much sharper sounds from the treble. I do think that the filter cable can really help someone become much more comfortable with the dt 1990s in that regard without destroying the sound it’s also generally cheaper than buying new pads.

I still have a very wide variety of sounds I really appreciate though granted, due to my inexperience, my explainations of a more thorough variety and terminologies are fairly lacking. Personally though I think if you like the 1990 but don’t like how aggressive it is to just go grab the T1 instead. It’s so much more relaxing of a headphone.

1 Like

I would love to try the T1s. I do love the “aggressive” sound of the 1990s in general though. Just can use some help with the specific peakiness. I haven’t tried a lot of the Beyerdynamics, like you have. Just a couple. (DT177x being the other)