(update in progress) Falenkor's Competitive Headphone Write Up. Now with added Hardware explanations!

Thanks again for the in-depth explanation.
Since neither the pc37x nor the shp9500 are avaiable at an affordable price (starting at 200) in my country I probably will go for the mh751. Thanks again for the help!

Of course, Glad I could help. If you have any questions, maybe the mh751 just wasn’t good for you, or you just want to drop in let me know how its going with your choice please feel free to come back and chime in on your thoughts and what you feel could be improved or what you like. I would be glad to offer some recommendations or advice from my own experience if needed.

I will add for others who want to ask me anything. If you feel the need to ask for further advice or something. Feel free to message me personally here, drop a message here, or create a thread. If I can help I will gladly chime in

1 Like

Received a bit of feedback. May convert this over to a .doc at some point if I ever get time to go more indepth with more recommendations including more all rounder headphones as well as a better explaination into amp/dacs and I don’t feel I explained things such as focals or anandas enough. I feel the write up is nice but after having it pointed out I do see some potential flaws that I could sit and remedy. I wrote this up in a bit of a rush as it’s a hell of a lot to type up. So, I may at some point go and attempt to fix it up. Not sure yet. Just don’t treat this as a gospel or ABSOLUTE GUIDE or anything. Anything in audio should always be taken as subjective opinion.

If you feel you can offer insight to improvements or potential additions please reach out and let me know. I will be happy to consider alterations or additions.

1 Like

For each paragraph that talks about one specific topic or product, put a headline above it.

# Headline

creates this:

Headline

Not able to do this right this second but thats a good idea. Isn’t there a way to make that section a drop down menu as well? may make it easier to look through that way.

like this?

If you click the gear while writing, you get the “hide details”-option

Could also do it manually by writing

[details="description goes here"]
Content of the drop down
[/details]

Shameless plug of my Formating advice thread

Yeah, like that. Alright whenever I get back I will go ahead and do some tweaks.

1 Like

I have a question about swapping pads, specifically on the Beyerdynamic DT 880. Most aftermarket pads I’ve found (e.g. Dekoni Elite) have a back membrane/covering. On the 880s (and similar models I’m sure), Beyerdynamic includes a pad that’s held in the ear cup. When switching pads, would you remove the Beyerdynamic pad, cut out the new pad’s membrane, or just double up?

I just leave it and double up. Doesn’t sound to bad to my hearing. Granted that the lesser dt series is pretty picky on which pads will destroy the sound and which don’t. I haven’t had any issues really with my elite velours. In most cases from my experience the extra membrane will dial in the treble a bit more which can be useful for a beyerdynamic headphone. You could, of course, remove the beyer pad or cut them out if you feel it’s causing some issues.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my stock DT 880 pads ripped a bit when I was re-installing them, so now it’s a question of buying new stock Beyer pads, or going with something like the Dekoni Elite velour (where I’m leaning).

Both are nice to have, especially if you plan to upgrade to like a 1990 later when it comes to the dekonis. In the case of the dekonis they are thicker and more firm unlike the very soft and breathable dt pads. I haven’t personally tested the elite velours on the 880 but I would think it should respond just fine. Had a couple people tell me that velours work well, suede is good as it balances out the sound more, and sheepskin apparently reigns back the treble but increases bass. So it’s apparently relatively flexible in its sound. Just picky

1 Like

Dekoni Elite velours are at least really comfortable… to my head at least. I use them with the DT1990s, where, in sound terms. they’re “in between” the two sets of pads that come with the headphones. I still use a passive filter from DIY-audioheaven to tame the treble peak though. I got nothin’ on the DT880s except… yeah they’re comfortable!

Have said this about these pads on several occasions in this write up as well Good pads.

I suppose its an option to enjoy the headphone more if you are more sensitive to it.

1 Like

Or EQ. I listen to enough hard media (“physical product”?) and also sadly too often in an apple environment… (you can’t make me say ecosystem! I refuse to say… d’ohh) for APOS EQ… .

Of course if you’re not bothered by the peak, then the whole problem goes away and you’re left with some killer headphones! just making the point that pads alone might not be enough of an adjustment for lots of people.

I mean, yeah you can also do that as well. Many ways to tame it down to be more comfortable which is nice. Though, I am someone personally who is a little biased towards the brighter spectrum of headphones and can sit with the T90 without issues as well as the DT 990 so I don’t really have any issues with it… However, I will definitely call sibilance out if I hear it. In the 1990s case while it’s definitely bright it mainly just depended on the recording itself I found that may lead to some sibilance, or rather just much sharper sounds from the treble. I do think that the filter cable can really help someone become much more comfortable with the dt 1990s in that regard without destroying the sound it’s also generally cheaper than buying new pads.

I still have a very wide variety of sounds I really appreciate though granted, due to my inexperience, my explainations of a more thorough variety and terminologies are fairly lacking. Personally though I think if you like the 1990 but don’t like how aggressive it is to just go grab the T1 instead. It’s so much more relaxing of a headphone.

1 Like

I would love to try the T1s. I do love the “aggressive” sound of the 1990s in general though. Just can use some help with the specific peakiness. I haven’t tried a lot of the Beyerdynamics, like you have. Just a couple. (DT177x being the other)

Well, 1990s are just very aggressive extremely analytical. The T1 though… well… okay so pretty much take the balanced pads on the DT 1990 take that sound now bring up the mids much more into the mix. Widen the soundstage and angle the drivers. Relax the sound push it back a bit and Lose just a small amount of clarity to the sound. Roll off some of the bass extensions. add warmth to the vocals. Take that treble dip from the 1990s and get rid of it now smooth it out without such extreme peaks. Upper mids will be the roll off point going into the treble and may be seen as recessed going into the lower treble. Add detail across the board like the 1990 with the mids more in the mix but also take the treble’s sparkle and add more detail the sound. That would be the T1.

Then lastly, change the cable plug to be able to be balanced to a damn liquid platinum making it sound even more open and warm. It’s a very relaxing, fun, bright headphone with just an incredible sound if you can stand treble.

1 Like

So, I picked up a copy of the new cooler masters MH630 cause I wanted to plug to my amps. I have to say… my thoughts on it initially were pretty spot on. It’s definitely not bad though I contemplate whether to put it on this list… I think this would be a more all rounder it’s a hell of a lot bassier than the mh751 but I absolutely love those clothy pads it has on it very breathable for a closed back and very welcome. The equalizer software allows you to dial out the bass enough making it just fine in competitive but its innate tuning is very relaxed and fun. Not bad at all kudos cooler master another great headset. Mic quality is a little iffy though and build quality is a bit on the plasticy side I suppose this is fine for a gaming headset but as far as mic quality goes… I have heard better from my pc37x its a bit compressed but not bad.

Current next gaming headset audition is the brand new CREATIVE SXFI GAMER headset that boasts big claims on being the “best” in sound for fps gamers and what not… I have heard some reviews and so far I am impressed with the mic quality and the like… though I won’t know for a while if this truly can hold a candle in fps

Gamed few hours with these yesterday and… bullets never sounded so good.
I was distracted how nice the fly-by and ricochet bullets sounded…and then i died. Multiple times. :smiley:
Plus everything else also sounded very gooood. Sounstage was not the widest possible but still enough.
Might use these more often with games when mic is not needed than i ever thought.

The focals really are something special for sound. I have been meaning to grab the clears for a little while now after being able to audition them.

Elex is one of those that while, I want to audition, doesn’t seem to be any way to do so. Though I have tried the other focals of elear, elegia, clear, and listen pro. I think I have a sort of general idea of how the elex is however, I go by what others tell me on that one. It’s one of those headphones that I may or may not purchase in the near future though.