šŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

Before everyone thinks that the FH3 is unbeatable or something. I will mention that the Intime Sora 2 is still my favourite iem for Linkin Park :joy:

I own them both. I did a write up on the forum between the FH3, H40 and Starfield for another user. What would you like to know specifically? Iā€™d be happy to let you know my opinions.

I havenā€™t done critical listening between the FH3 vs the H40 yet, back to back like I just did with the FH7 but plan to soon since there appears to be a lot of interest.

Sorry I just read your write up. If the tuning of the H40 and the FH3 are similar I guess that as I own the H40 itā€™s not worth to me to get the FH3. I just listed 4 Iems to sell and I will keep only the H40 and the Tri i3. Thanks!!

How would you say these compare to the Mangirds?

If the H40 fits you well, you have no inner ear issues and you enjoy the relaxed detail of the H40, you should be happy. Although, if you want an IEM with a better fit (much smaller), no inner ear suction issues, much cleaner presentation, better instrument separation, faster/tighter bass, and better detail, the FH3 is IEM for you. They do have generally similar FR, but the FH3 has smoother yet still detailed treble. The H40 treble is a tad more abrasive.

Iā€™d be happy to write down my observations after doing some critical listening back and forth against a wide variety of music as I did with the FH7 vs FH3 last night.

2 Likes

I did a write up a while ago about the differences between the H40 and the Mangird. Iā€™ll go back and try to find it and post an edit here if youā€™d like to read it.

EDIT: https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/isn-audio-h40-3ba-1-dynamic-driver-hybrid/14627/14?u=papaemeritus

I really enjoyed both the Mangird and the H40 and did not find them all that similar in FR and technicalities as some do. I think itā€™s more about their shells looking similar being black. Although, the release of the FH3 has thrown a wrench into the equation. The FH3 renders the H40 obsolete in my opinion. Just look at these FR graphsā€¦

fh3

They are quite similar especially when it comes to the sub bass, bass and mids.The issue is that the FH3 is simply better than the H40 in just about every regard unless youā€™re after something more relaxed, with less detail and a stage and image seperation that is less refined than the FH3.

The Mangird on the other hand has a sub bass emphasis and a more linear response for the mids.

tea

This allows more space for the mids and treble than the H40 & FH3. This in turn allows the mids and treble to come through clearer while still attaining the sub bass rumble. This set is great for being able to hear sub bass clearly with no low end bloat. I generally want to hear music with the lows and lower mids boosted for enjoyment, the Mangird is a nice alternative. It has helped me appreciate the upper frequencies in a mix I normally donā€™t care about. The Mangird is very detailed yet does not have treble that is overly harsh or sibilant. The treble and upper mids stand out more in the mix than the FH3 which is a nice alternative I appreciate as a listener.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the detail, so you are treating the FH3 as a companion set to the Mangird i gotcha, i didnā€™t think it would un seat it so to speak for you, but definitely a great bargain for the price. Iā€™m going to order one to see how it compares to my legacy 3ā€™s, and in the future the Mangirdā€™s, need a good sub bass focused set, thanks again

1 Like

No, the FH3 dethrones the Mangird hands down. The Mangird is great in its own right though. My main issue with the Mangird is the fit and inner ear suction. I have to re-seat it in my ear constantly. Really annoying. For my tastes though, the FH3 is the clear choice between the two. If I had to choose one, FH3 > Mangird all day, every day.

Itā€™s hard for me to judge because from my experiences with my Legacy 3, mine is a dark sounding set with little treble extension. Others have said the treble is fantastic on their sets. There have been many conversations about the varying FR on the Legacy 3. If your set is anything like mine, the FH3 is going to be a massive upgrade. My L3 is dull, lacking detail and treble and especially treble extension. This coming from a guy who doesnā€™t like much treble. lol

2 Likes

ā€œFor my tastes though, the FH3 is the clear choice between the two. If I had to choose one, FH3 > Mangird all day, every day.ā€

Even if we exclude the fit and inner ear suction? Damn lol.

whoa whoa whoa what? ok this is exactly what i needed to hear lol, now for sureā€¦i havenā€™t had alot of time with the 3ā€™s, my first ā€œfunā€ iem so Iā€™m still getting used to that signature, its easier for me to compare and contrast with another, but now im def getting the FH3ā€™s, saves me from wasting time lolā€¦and yes i dont like too much treble either ( i listen loud)

The FH3 is definitely a very damn good set. Much cheaper than the Tea and the H40 too.

1 Like

https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/428895.html

Silver/titanium > Black

2 Likes

Yep. the FR on the H40 and FH3 is just more enjoyable. The Mangird is different from the H40 & FH3. Probably like the LZA6 / FH3 is for you. They are both good for different reasons/different tastes. I just happen to have a clear preference when it comes to the FH3.

2 Likes

Nice info, worth waiting then imo.

With the L3 I find the treble is very tip dependant, with foam being the worst offenders. However with the right silicone tips itā€™s great.

1 Like

yeah, I would have preferred the silver version over black. (isnt ā€œtitaniumā€ just grey?) :joy:

Should be like mate silver grey if itā€™s authentic (looking at my titanium watch :slight_smile: )

I would not say the FH3 is a dark IEM. Rikudou, correct me if you disagree since we both have a difference in how we hear treble but I find the FH3 not to be lacking in treble. Itā€™s just smooth and never sibilant. (so far anyway)

I was also wrong about the FH3 sound stage and imaging. I thought the FH7 was clearly better upon first hearing the FH3 and trying to remember how the FH7 sounded. After comparing them back to back, the FH3 is just as good in this regard to the FH7. It is different though. Itā€™s difficult to explain sound stage and imaging.

There was a song last night I was listening to where there was a lot of lower end frequency stuff happening in the background while this stereo event over on the left was portrayed as if it were completely separated from everything in the back. It almost felt like I could reach out and grab it with my hand it was so clear and perfectly defined away from everything else. The FH3 did this better than the FH7 because the low end was so much less on the FH7 that it didnā€™t sound nearly as impressive to have that kind of separation. Does that make any sense? Sorry if Iā€™m rambling. lol

1 Like

YES!!! I was wishing that they would do something special with the finishes. Time to collect them all!

Thank you so much for posting this!!! Awesome.

1 Like

I am fine with most of the treble. Its just that the upper treble 10k+ isnt that much and it makes me want more air from them. This isnt a big problem, but that is the biggest factor as to why this isnt an TOTL iem (The detail, soundstage and instrument separation would need to be one or 2 levels higher too).

My nitpick comes from the fact that the LZ A6 and the Moondrop Blessing 2 (at technicalities not air) is better than the FH3 at those factors.

EDIT: If the FH3 was better at the technicalities just 1 or 2 levels + better treble extension/air. Then I would have created an S+ rank for it lol.

1 Like

At the cost of bass which is a deal breaker for me.

The Mangird has as much treble as I would ever want. No more please! The FH3 is better and somehow sounds smoother and more detailed. :crazy_face: