Finding the balance between helping your music sound better, and trying to not ruin it

That was really just a movie quote, but to more seriously answer…
Maybe, it depends on the person. Some may only consider audiophile music to be pristine recordings faithfully mastered on the best equipment. Others might include live concert recordings where the crowd and all the sounds from the event are there. Others it might be the indie bands first recording made on whatever cheap stuff they had and mixed on a 10 year old laptop.

For me… I don’t really care as long as I enjoy what I am listening to. I don’t mind if I can’t pickup every little detail as long as I am enjoying what I can hear. Also personally I am really sensitive to machinery and electrical noises so the HVAC would drive me nuts.

But what if the HVAC ground noise left in the studio mixed is what made you weep when hearing it on your new gear for the first time?

Kidding aside the ASR video messed me up about hires recordings which is silly because i dont have a system with the high of fidelity.

Everything, if your mind is open enough. Listen to enough experimental music and you’ll start hearing music everywhere lol

To be frank here, I don’t realy believe the “too far” thing. I listed to a [i]lot[i] of trash music. I’m talking recording quality so bad it makes harem anime feel like quality writting (90s pop/punk/ska all mastered in peak loudness war by independents who sometimes didn’t even properly ground their gear leading or even using fucking broken mics that audibly distort). My most resolving setup current is an LCD-R (more resolving than even diana v2 which was a clear step above hd800s/arya). That can doesnt make trahs music sound horrible. There is simply less to hear. The only music i have come across that I dont listen to anymore is stuff mastered for speakers in such a way that a cymbal bashes your brain in on one channel and not the other (and thats an issue even with TWS ear buds).

Imo, the place to stop is where you are happy. The only worry of ruining music imo is when you have a chain who’s sound you dont like

2 Likes

Like resolution, example music from the game of thrones by city of prague orchestra “light of the seven” think i hear movement and the room not mixed out of the track on a low budget hometheater system, pair of neumi center ch as a stereo pair and a cheap yamaha avr.

2 Likes