First setup advice: headphones, DAC & AMP

I’m upgrading from a Razer headset, specifically the USB based Kraken 7.1 V2. As for earbuds, I’m still running Pixel Buds which are beginning to fall apart. I ought to look for some mobile stuff at some point, though the mostly wireless convenience is something that I do really like.

That reminds me, if you are using windows, make sure to disable windows sound enhancemnts like a software 7.1 or something like that. Usually those features degrade sound quality, and sometimes they are enabled by default depending on the system if its a prebuilt or laptop, or if software enables it like some headset software. Just something to check if something sounds off.

1 Like

Also personally, I don’t think there are any convenient high quality true wireless earbuds that hit my quality standards yet, but its bound to happen soon. There are some wireless headsets that are decently good though. Although if you have an apple phone the ux and feel/convince of the airpods are pretty crazy. Just super simple and work. Wish there could be an experience like that with other products

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t recall having any enhancements made to windows outside of Synapse 2, which I eventually uninstalled, and as far as I can tell, Synapse 3 doesn’t have support for my specific model of headphones. Then again, I do remember tinkering with the EQ settings on Synapse 2, but I’m not entirely sure if those settings lingered, I might have to reinstall Synapse 2 just to make sure.

I’ve been planning to swap my mobile stuff over to Apple (laptop, phone, etc), which is why I inquired about the macOS compatibility. Chances are I’m gonna be shelling out for some AirPods just for the wireless convenience, since I feel mobility is more of a concern to me outside, rather than the best sound quality.

The nice thing about mac is that I think the topping doesn’t require any drivers for mac machines, so that’s a bonus

1 Like

Sounds good to me. It took watching a Zeos vod for me to figure out my audio setup left alot to be desired, and it took a couple of reviews for me to start figuring out what to look for.

Well that’s a great way to start, but make sure to trust your own ears as well. If you don’t like something, don’t keep it because other people say its good. Just make sure you are happy with your setup

1 Like

In that case I think I’ll like the sound from the HE4XX, if the sound demo was able to give me a good enough of a snapshot for its overall signature, even if it was playing on my Krakens.

Well, sound demos really aren’t the most reliable way to hear a headphone… But it might be the only way to hear them so good enough

2 Likes

Right, it’s the closest thing I got to actually listening to them so I’ll take what I can get.

1 Like

I disagree. The Atom uses plastic, sure, but the build quality is still really good.

1 Like

I understand many people love it. I just found it so flimsy and the plastic gave in certain spots and just had such a cheap feel so I sold mine. When I would press on the top, it just had so much give almost like it would have easily come apart. Maybe that was just the one I got a hold of.

Well another thing to consider, is how much does build quality on an amp really matter? As it’s probably going to be sitting on a desk and not really messed around with besides the volume. I thought it was more then fine, but if you care a ton about build, it is something to consider. I think the liquid spark is better regarding the build

2 Likes

Plenty of products are made of plastic and yet remain fantastic products. By all means, I’m sure I’ll be meddling over which amp I want between the Spark and the Atom until I finally have the chance to purchase one or the other.

1 Like

Y’know, I get that given all the stuff I plan to get, it’s gonna take awhile before I grab all this stuff, but I’ve been rather back and forth with what I want for a headphone. I’ve been looking at both the HE4XX, and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, and judging from sound demos they both sound great to me. Again, I get that sound demos are really just a snapshot, but outside of sound quality, it’s getting difficult for me to figure out what I really want between the two feature-wise.

If you order the dt770 from Amazon you can try them at home and return them if you don’t like them :+1:

2 Likes

You could get the he400i from Amazon if you didn’t want to mess with massdrop (400i is pretty much identical in sound with different headband)

Then you could try both the 770 and 400i/4xx

2 Likes

I mean you can always buy both just get one now and the other later when you have the cash just get the on you think is essential for now. What I did when I was first starting out really getting into this hobby upgrading from my k240

1 Like

Definitely true, Amazon has great return policies. But that does cost more money at once, so it might not be viable

1 Like

Y’know, I recently stumbled upon the Audio check website. While I have yet to get any of the new equipment, I did try my hand at the blind test between 16-bit and 8-bit audio tracks. Quite honestly, I couldn’t hear the difference with my Krakens. I take it that’s more of my own equipment holding back my own hearing, or would that actually be me?