šŸ”· Flux FA-12S

It it makes you feel any better, that is the reason the images I post are deliberatly set up on photo backdrops or my temporary work surface

3 Likes

I want a warm amp, but Iā€™m afraid the fa-10 would power the lcd-4 better. My friend said the fa-12 is the best ss amp heā€™s heard under 2k, I can see it measures better and is probably more refined too but I donā€™t care about balanced.

1 Like

They are both pretty similar in terms of sound signature according to people that have tried both. You can check out the forum thread about the Flux line on Head-Fi if you want some more info. More people have tried them over there and there is quite the lengthy thread on them already. They can compete with amps double their price so definitely worth checking out.

Any reason to get the rebel amp over the FA-12S? Seriously considering both right now, thinking about biting the bullet on the rebel.

2 Likes

FA12s arrived today. I probably shouldnā€™t speak too much about the sound quality, I havenā€™t tried too many amps before. Needless to say, itā€™s the best thing Iā€™ve ever heard. It effortlessly powers everything Iā€™ve tried with it, but I donā€™t have anything super amp dependent I think.

No real issues for me with the volume adjustments, Iā€™m not too picky with the levels though, I guess some people could potentially find some sharp volume increases, but Iā€™ve been pretty satisfied with everything on medium gain.

The front panel isnā€™t completely evenly flush to the black top cover on the left side. It doesnā€™t bug me. Thereā€™s no play either so I have no reason to believe it would come loose over time.

The clicking noise doesnā€™t bother me. I canā€™t really hear it when wearing open back headphones playing music at average listening volume. I think I only heard it when wearing on ear grados.

The one problem I had stemmed from my idiot brain wearing headphones while plugging in the remote control IR receiver 3.5mm plug. Donā€™t do that. The remote control for volume obviously is tied to the volume control system in some way, and the plugging/unplugging of it resulted in a very loud pop. Ouch.

So far, itā€™s been a very exciting amplifier. No regrets as of yet.

6 Likes

Hi. Think of purchasing this amp for dt 1990 pro? What is your opinion, guys? It will be better than Asgard 3 amplifier?:slight_smile: I know price difference is huge, but i just want to know, that im buying the right thing. Currently i have chord mojo and Asgard 3, Asgard degrades sound of mojo, but what about this amp?

Waiting for you advices:)

Just ordered flux fa-12s for Allo revolution to beyerdynamic dt 1990, to buy this two i had to sell mojo and asgard 3. I hope the sound of flux and allo, will be better than Asgard + mojo? Maybe somebody have an experience in comparisons of this units?

Good thing with Allo is that it can be tweaked to make it sound how you want it toā€¦brighter with less harmonics to make it more clinical/sterile, or warmer with more harmonics to make it more lush and euphonic. I havenā€™t heard one personally, but that flexibility seems like itā€™d help to make it a suitable pairing with a wider range of amps.

1 Like

Main worries is about how Allo revolution is comparable to mojo, better or worse as dac, how many percents. With linear power supply allo costs almost as mojo, but how does it sound in comparison to mojo. Didnā€™t find any information at all. So sad:(

@M0N could probably provide some insight on Mojo vs Revolution. If I were to guess, theyā€™d be on fairly even footing as far as overall DAC capabilities, just depending on what preferences you prioritize, Mojo being portable and Revolution being tweakable.

Im going to use both for desktop use only, and features not on the first place. First priority is the sound, how they compare by sound quality. Im interested because mojo is the best dac i ever heard. Revolution has already arrived, but custom power supply is not yet, maybe 7-10 days to wait for power supply, i canā€™t turn it on yet. Flux labs will be manufactured and delivered in 2-4 weeks:)))

But the main question: without form factor or features, sound quality is on par or mojo/allo is better?
@M0N i think you are tired answering my questions, but just interested in your opinion

Id say in terms of raw capability given you have the nicer psu for the allo, the allo is slightly above the mojo but itā€™s really not a major upgrade over the mojo and depending on the psu may still trade some blows, but you get a ton more flexibility over the mojo when it comes to the final sound. I think in a previous answer to one of your questions I said that you would really need to step up to the 700 range to get a substantial upgrade over the mojo, the allo is more a slight upgrade (given better psu) but more a side step than a substantial upgrade

1 Like

@M0N Actually i will be happy if allo will be not step down from mojo. If they are on the same level, thatā€™s very good news, thank you. I think flux lab amp in my setup will make good step up. From dac point im ok with mojo level, if they are on par, it is very good result for Allo in that case. Im just want not worse performance unit for desktop setup. Because mojo usability in desktop chain is not perfect.

So Iā€™ve been using a 789 for a while now because I mainly game and donā€™t want my amp fucking with my audio, but im looking for a fairly cheap class a for music and I keep seeing this pop up. Someone tell me what to do for strictly music amps. I have anandas, dan Clark open aeon 2s, dt990s balanced, t1.2, 560s, dt880 balanced, harmonicdyne zeus, and soon to get a pair of gl2000s. Is this thing worth it for balanced power as well as single ended, or is there a better option? Im ok with a slightly warm amp, but I will freak out if I lose quality. I love the transparency of the 789 but i want something that compliments music well. Im open to suggestions but really I donā€™t care to spend much more than $500ish. I guess $1k if something is amazing and mindblowingly endgame, but it better be fucking good. I love soundstage and im not willing to sacrifice noise floor over a 789. Halp.

Flux measured on audiosciencereview

Good result IMHO

2 Likes

Reading the thread some of the ā€œengineersā€ bring up some significant safety concerned related to safety grounding not being installed and other potential design short cuts.

Iā€™m not sure if this is their attempt to piss on something that measured better than they expected and outside of their targeted shill products. Itā€™s interesting to read none the less.

2 Likes

Have one of these in for the time being, honestly really nice for the price. It has a somewhat similar signature to the fa-10, and honestly pretty similar technicalities as well to the fa-10 for most headphones, really great overall. Itā€™s got that warmer smoother more relaxed and bodied signature the fa-10 had without going overboard, reasonable technicalities for the price point with a wider leaning stage with decent depth and placement, detail is appropriate for the money, itā€™s got good impact and slam without going overboard, timbre is pretty nice, really like itā€™s volume control for the money, drives most headphones fairly well. Honestly most of my thoughts on the fa-10 could apply to the fa-12s but with tamed impact and slam with some of the more power hungry cans, and a bit tighter sound overall. But itā€™s pretty compelling for what this goes for

4 Likes

Does anyone know if the fa12 balanced is worth the extra $250? That brings it reall close in price to a on sale Burson soloist 3x, especially with itā€™s expensive shipping.

1 Like

Received flux fa-12s today, first impression was - WOW, schiit asgard 3? not even close, resolution is stunning, i think it just do things right. Iā€™m opening allo revolution dac again, waiting for m400 to arrive in 1-2 days. I think i will share my impressions of the fa-12s and m400 dac. I did not like volume knob, but remote control makes things very good, and they changed remote to a good one, not like in zeos reviewā€¦

6 Likes

I really enjoy my FA-12 balanced. Is it worth an extra $250? I donā€™t know, I havenā€™t heard the SE version.