Focal Elegia or Hifiman Ananda?

Again the edition xs stomps the Ananda and is cheaper. The Ananda is not all that great, it’s just detailed.

1 Like

Yeah, it seems Ananda is the better headphone, but Elegia is more what I’m looking for. I’ll definitely pick up Ananda or Edition XS as my next “Wow” headphone (or for mixing!). Happy Friday

And yeah, it’s kinda crazy that even a £15 cable from Amazon beats Hifiman and Focal’s stock cables…

1 Like

Maybe try to audition a FostexTH600/610 if you like the DT1990’s sound sig. E-MU Teak is a unicorn, impossible to audition. There’s also the new and old Denon lines (7200,7000,5000) but depending on where you live they might be too pricey. I got the 5k for 200 and at that price it’s pretty darn good. They don’t sound exactly like a 1990 but they sound more fun and that’s what you’re going after.

I also suffer from tinnitus (and hyperacusis… An audiophile’s worst nightmare). For me, I’ve found headphones with less slam/impact are the most fatiguing.

Headphones like this are the M40x, HD 599, and (less so) the DT 1990’s. They all sound so flat and lacking punch. Even though the 599’s are quite soft and easy-going, they hurt my ears!

Then my WH-1000XM3’s are much less fatiguing for me. They punch really hard, despite being ‘slow’ in dynamics. I’m not sure why it’s less fatiguing, but I’ve heard others say the same.

So for now I’ve gone with Elegia, I’ll update when I get them! Hopefully I’ll find the Anandas (or other planars) for cheap in the future too.

Hmm all the more reason to avoid closed backs. Open backs are the way for me now - I’m converting/have converted all my fav cans to open - took the covers off the M1060Cs too - matter of fact, they really open up after taking the wooden lids/cups off, the sound improves a lot - less in your ears more natural and airy. Same thing I did with my BD Custom Pro Studios (cut modded the rears), and the EMU Teaks (took off cups and printed open cups to put on)…

Anyhow - hope it works out for you.

1 Like