šŸ”· Focal Radiance

Thank you for that.

I was thinking about a tube amp when I got the Radiance and was advised this very thing. I can attest to your statement as well about the power requirements. Even on my Jotunheim2 I found the balanced output to almost be too much power for the Radiance and I prefer to listen to it on the SE. Again, this is my taste, but I did like having more flexibility with volume play on SE vs balanced.

I have the LP on my wishlist and waiting for it to hit another great sale before I buy. Although, I chose that amp because I donā€™t want to just buy a tube for 1 HP and I have read the LP pairs nicely with many other HPā€™s.

I actually read through your thoroughly detailed review of the Mk2 on the equipment forums. Your description of taking the edge off and smoothening out the Elegia was a factor I found pleasant to hear. I already find the Radiance smooth and laid back, I figured a tube would increase those attributes even more. I have been eyeing the cayin for quite some time. Iā€™m not sure if the impedance of the Elegia is the same of the Radiance, but they are both relatively low z cans, plus I really thought the versatility of a multiple impedance output selection on the Mk2 to be very useful. But I will take your advise into account and probably look for a solid hybrid. I do intend to at some point in my headphone journey to own either a ZMF Auteur or their new replacement. As I hear those are wonderful on OTLs.

My Elegiaā€™s and Elexā€™s sound Wonderful on my Little Dot MK9.
And you can tube roll happily and hear the differences. I didnā€™t hear a lot of differenceā€™s on most tubes amps that I have owned and rolled.

Let us know what you land on. Amp and Sound makes brilliant sounding stuff if you have the budget for it.

1 Like

Sometimes it is so worth to take a journey into your headphone collection. I have been recently going back to my Zeus and TYGR 300 as I am working a write up for the Zeus. During my listening I decided to pop in my Radiance just to seeā€¦
Donā€™t get me wrong, those previous headphones sound great in their own right, but damn the Radiance is good. I am appreciating this HP all over again. Itā€™s crazy how our brains can burn in certain sigs on us and almost create a false impression. I was really wondering after reviewing my Noreā€™s if I truly enjoyed the Radiance.

Ha! Absolutely love the Radiance is my conclusion! If you own the Radiance do yourself a favor and throw on the song ā€œOn My Levelā€ by Wiz Khalifa. Nevermind the vulgar language but just listen to how it presentsā€¦wow.

2 Likes

Thanks @WaveTheory instead of buying a streamer or better cables for something I did this, and pretty sure it was due to your dangling of the carrot ā€¦again :laughing:

These are from the listing, It should be here next week.

3 Likes

So far I say theyā€™re a solid pickup. Good bass headphone :grin:

4 Likes

Congrats!

Wearing mine right nowā€¦even if they sounded bad, damn do they look nice right? Thankfully I also really enjoy the sound!

2 Likes

Youā€™re not innocent in this eitherā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

Excellent! I will be shocked if you donā€™t like it. Enjoy!

1 Like

Wanted to chime in here so we dont derail the Listening to Tonight thread.
The stellia to me is a little more metallic. The mids arent as good imo. They can come of a little grainy or rough. Maybe its the metallic timbre people speak of. They seem more closed-in compared to the radiance. Obviously less bass. The stellia may have more detail, but itā€™s not a ton and not a deal breaker to me. Iā€™ve A/Bā€™d and I feel comfortable keeping the radiance. Radiance has better timbre imo too. This is also one evening of listening :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Edit: And Radiance looks better, thatā€™s if youā€™re into that sort of thing :grin:

3 Likes

Absolutely agree about the looks.

Too bad Focal canā€™t get their cable game right though. I mean come on!

Itā€™s another one of those products however that I think pictures and videos donā€™t quite do it enough justice till you see them in person. Hell, I made the mistake of buying my cable color scheme before I got them, only to find it didnā€™t quite match.

2 Likes

Yeah, cables are trash lol. Iā€™m gonna get a 3.5 cable for the mojo. Prob just go black braidedā€¦

I have an OIDIO cable that I got from a user hear who had it made for the Clear Pro - Iā€™m going to use it and if I like the Radiance - Iā€™ll look into getting something better - although OIDIO SPC are not bad cables for the price.

The one I have is Burgundy and Grey it wont match well but should not clash to badly either and its terminated in 4pin so thats a bonus for me.

1 Like

One thine is for sure, at the end of the day, they are beautiful headphones. I love just looking at mine from time to time. When the light hits that copper just right!

2 Likes

@WaveTheory Iā€™m curious as to your preference for the Radiance between SE or Balanced? Since youā€™ve experienced many more dac/amp sources and better understanding then I could hope for right now.

Iā€™m finding I enjoy the SE more so if for the simple fact on my Jot2 that I get more volume play from track to track. I do find balanced to seem (to my ears) a bit more clear or resolving but then also more aggressive depending on the track.

Hmmm. Headphones/speakers are neither inherently balanced or single ended. Those terms only apply to speakers/headphones based on how they were wired to connect to an amplifier. The Jot2 has 2 different sound signatures from balanced or SE by design. Thatā€™s what youā€™re hearing. There really are no inherent differences in balanced or SE sound. The difference is in how they handle noise. Sonic differences are just in how they are voiced. The Jot2 has a TON of power, especially from its balanced out. Thatā€™s why youā€™re not getting much play in the potentiometer. The balanced out is also more neutral and incisive, where the SE out is warmer and thicker. Since Radiance is already tuned warm and thick, youā€™re likely preferring the neutrality and incisiveness of the Jot2ā€™s balanced out, er, balancing out the Radianceā€™s sound. Back to your question, I also prefer pairing the Radiance with an amp that is more neutral and incisive because of its warm, thick tuning. It responds very well to my Chord Hugo 2 and Lake People G111. On my Violectric HPA-V281, a warm and thick amp, or Asgard 3, to which the Jot2 SE output is similarly tuned, Radiance can sound a bit TOO thick to the point of tubby.

That help?

4 Likes

Yes! Makes perfect sense when put that way as to how I am hearing it. Itā€™s a silly thing to feel odd listening at such a low volume and that honestly was probably my main annoyance. Keep it down and enjoy the sound.

Thank you for explaining.

1 Like

Still wayyyy to early (just shipped in today) to really comment with authority but, I am liking the Radiance working off the Spring3 KTE + Ferrum OOR/Hypsos. Iā€™ll get it over to the Yggdrasil and V550 sometime this weekend.

I miss my Jot 2 - Iā€™d like to get another I think to put with a Bifrost 2 I have just feedin a set of Edifiersā€¦ I bet that the Bf2/Jot2 combo is pretty slick with the Radiance from what Iā€™ve heard so far.

3 Likes

@ShaneD I wanted to move this here to keep it out if the buy/sell thread.

I donā€™t think itā€™s an all around downgrade. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The radiance is a little more fun (bass :grin::metal:). The Stellia has better technical capabilities (faster, more detail, sometimes more texture but not always better texture imo). The radiance to me can come of a little more natural. It has better timbre imo and the mids are more consistent to me. And I really like the vocals and guitars on the radiance. The Stellias mids can be off at times. Not always and not on every track/recording but there are times when a guitar, vocals, or another instrument seems off. And its just a little but it can bother me at times. So when comparing mids I feel the radiance is more consistent, not always better. Basically, when the Stellia is good, itā€™s really good, but I find myself skipping less tracks with the radiance. And this is all nitpicking. I like the Stellia and if not comparing to the radiance Iā€™d definitely keep it, but at double the price the Stellia isnā€™t that much better to me. But if someone wanted the Stellia or liked it more, Iā€™d completely understand. I can see both sides.
And if I want really accurate, or better detail, I have other headphones for that. I like having a fun closed back as a portable option and the radiance fits that nicely.

5 Likes