🔷 Fostex TR-X00 Ebony

Nice, looks like the AHG have much more ear space from the pictures, does it need an extra attenuation ring or it is one of the modes that have it from factory?

I believe it already comes with one

These pads do NOT have a built-in attenuation ring and you will need to make or buy some. Personally I don’t like these as .much as something like a real ZMF Ori pad (which these are based on). These aren’t necessarily bad, but they had some weirdness in the bass that the real ZMF pads don’t. But these are about half the price.

These DO have built-in attenuation rings and overall sound much more like stock, but are only a bit more comfortable imo. They are a great choice for sound and are very affordable but you might still have some comfort issues. I would try these first and go from there if you still feel you need to.

My top recommendation would be the ZMF Ori cowhide pads. They change the sound from stock but are in no way worse and are super comfortable imo.

1 Like

I knew I would see you here haha. I was thinking of the second one, I thought it felt a bit more like pleather than sheepskin for some reason lol

1 Like

Thanks for the info, i am focusing on comfort and bass response which is the reason why i got the Fostex, i do have a Focal Clear for a more detailed sound but i miss a more punchier bass.

If the ZMFs are more comfortable and the bass is as good as stock then they sound like a good option!

As long as you use attenuation rings with them, the ZMF Ori cowhide pads are great. The biggest change in the sound compared to stock is a slight reduction of mid-bass warmth, but that is for the pleather/lambskin versions.

I can’t give a direct comparison to stock pads since I’ve Lawton modded my X00s, but the Ori cowhide are warmer than the pleather and lambskin so I doubt it will be a real issue, especially since the bass and sub-bass are just as good as stock, if not better.

1 Like

Used the dekoni rings. Worked well imo.

Just finished my first mod for the Ebony, no more crappy stock cable for me!

4 Likes

Funny, i was cursing these stock pads like “who in the world is able to wear these?!”, then i figured out that the pads rotate freely in the cups, and mine arrived in a weird angle and i had to squeeze my ears inside the pads for them to fit.

After rotating the pads this thing is actually comfortable! The bad news is i already ordered third party pads and attenuation rings, lol

Guess i will be able to compare with different pads now, but the comfort is pretty ok with the pads in the right position…

2 Likes