Friends amp was stolen, they don't know what it was and I can't figure it out

A friend of mine had a yard sale home theater set up with some powered monitors and had the amp stolen and they are now looking to get it up and running again.

I never saw the amp so I have no idea what it was, just that the TV plugged in to it via RCA

The part I can’t figure out is that the monitors were hooked up using these cables which were left behind- https://www.amazon.ca/Rockville-RTSBW10-Speaker-Cable-Copper/dp/B078NDDD9Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2HNQXUKTHUZXG&keywords=1%2F4+to+speaker+wire&qid=1581837443&sprefix=1%2F4+to+speak%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-3

Is it possible that these powered monitors were hooked up to an amp? wouldn’t that have exploded everything? Is there anything I can tell them to buy that will work with these cables?

They could be passive monitors and not actual powered… ?
But in the world audio. There are things that you can do, things that you can and should do.
Also things that you should not do but can do and things most surely what not to do and so on.

If they would be powered monitors and if there is will, to take the right? road or at least woddle that way. Maybe they could get a more proper amp with outputs for powered monitors.
Things would be more in the “right” side of good things.

But the checking the speaker (brand / model) might be best place to start.

Time to check the local craigslist/ebay/etc. listings.

They are Yamaha HS80m’s

So they COULD have been plugged in to a powered amp but shouldn’t be?

It seems like powered amps are way easier to find so should I point them in this direction and tell them to be careful with blasting the volume or something?

I would say yes, they could… since it’s analog signal and they should not.
They amp an amp the analog signal and that is not ok in world of audio or hifi.
Risk of breaking something or everything… should be present?
Mad science hour stuff anyways. How many vinyls can we stack up and still play and so on. lol

Makes sense. I have been looking around a little for them. would something like this Blu Dento work?

I just can’t figure out if the RCA is in or out and if the coax is in or out

Well… it was mentioned on the Amazon page. It’s a Bluetooth receiver.

Well shit, not sure how I missed that… Any suggestions for something with a second input on top of the Bluetooth?

1 Like

Same as in the earlier post.

It’s more in the hit or miss field with the all in china amps.

Thanks, I was poking around on my local FB market place and found this-

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-STR514/4156007

It has an aux out that in the manual is listed as being “for recording devices” which I assume means it is routing the same signal out. Do you think they could run those speakers off of that RCA out?

I think those output’s are only for recording use…? Manual kinda point’s in that.
It will technically “work” but the manual has this tiny note " The volume, tone (bass and treble), and balance settings have no effect on the recording signals."

So the speakers might play at full volume…?