Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

wouldn’t say smokey but with a hint of peat…so no smokey veil just a peat kick in the bass lol.

3 Likes

You’re looking at a novice whiskey guy so even though I got a Smokey after taste with it, that’s probably like someone who isn’t an audiophile calling the Monarch’s boring … don’t listen to me! :joy:

I just searched up what peat is and what do ya know … that makes sense - you just taught me something, thank you :handshake:

3 Likes

KBear Storm or The First Ghost Pepper Hot Take of 2023

I’ve been warning you all that all this kumbaya stuff I’ve been popping off about was a ruse and that I was going to spit some fire that’s going to make you take a step back (and possibly ask if I’m okay or not). Well kids, it’s time to rip the band-aid off because Goober is coming for some necks with this one. Sit down, buckle up, and tighten your buttholes because Papa is about to rip you a new one. It’s you, me, and KBear Storm.

Songs to Listen to and Follow Along:

As usual, I’m going to write my thoughts in generalities, but I’ll give you a sample of songs that I listen to, that will relate to the concepts I write about. Feel free to ask for specifics, if you don’t keep up with my thought processes.

War - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble (For brass tonality, bass elements, layering and separation)

Holding On (Rome In Silver Remix) - Dabin (For female vocals, tonality, mid-bass response within mix From 1:12-1:36)

DISINTER MY HEART - TRAILS (For treble response and resolution, male vocals, midrange response)

When I Fall (Outta Love) - Kevin Olusola (For Imaging/detail retrieval :00-:07, tonality, timbre)

Fundamental Elements of Madness - Dax Johnson (For soundstage 1:10-1:26, piano tonality)

I Serve My Head Up On a Plate, It’s Only Comfort Calling Late; ‘Cause There’s Nothing Else to Do, Every Me and Every You

You all know I mess with KBear, as a company. I find value in them because they always seem to go for something different than the current trends. I like some of their stuff (Aurora - though it’s overpriced now, Rosefinch, Ormosia - I owe this one a review) and some of their stuff is kinda garbage (KS1, Robin, and Qinglong are various levels of not good enough to burn them with fire). I don’t blow smoke up their ass like they’re perfect, but I also give them the benefit of the doubt when they drop a new release. Thus, here we are with Storm. In the climate of 2023, even just the presentation of this IEM is treading mighty thin ice, in terms of being unacceptable. This shell is so ghetto: it looks like a gumball machine prize; in fact, if you know the show “Firefly” it looks like the goddamn ship Serenity.

And for fit purposes, it’s unnecessarily big. If the shell caused a fit problem because of its size, I’d cry because it’s a damn comedy of errors. This legitimately aggravates me because most people’s first impression of Storm is going to be “it looks like a joke so there’s no way that it can sound good. And that would be a damn shame. Let me explain why.

You Don’t Know How You’re Coming Across, Acting Like You’re on Some Kind of Toss; Walking Around Like You’re On Some Kind of Cross, And It’s a Shame On You the Irony’s Lost

Enter the Ikko OH10: This is a beloved set and it deserves its reputation. Funny thing about the OH10 is how people have described it as a “Bright V-Shape IEM”, nobody ever put two and two together for me, so I did it for myself. In my searching lately, I’ve been looking away from the trendy Harman and neutral-ish tunings for something outside of the current box. That search has led me to wanting to try out a more diffuse-field style tuning. One attempt at this was the KBear Qinglong which I went over, as a disappointment that had potential but missed the mark. Further attempts to find a diffuse-field tuning have come around but I haven’t pulled the trigger on them. Then @rattlingblanketwoman sent me his care package, and in it was the OH10. Finally having this fabled IEM in my possession made me go look up it’s graph, and would you fucking believe that the OH10 is a diffuse-field IEM. That’s not a question, because it’s a fact! OH10 is a warm/bright tuning, with a very engaging sub-bass. It’s closer to boomy than punchy, but the quantity is satisfactory; it has less emphasis in the mid-bass but plays into the midrange with a little thickness to it. It’s not muddy by any stretch but it is full. The gain into the upper-midrange is a little forward and can make the upper-mids sound a little sharp, almost out of control but holding it together. This has slightly above average technicalities, in terms of my benchmark song “If I Fall”, the detail of the wind is present in both ears, and there is a slight amount of swirl in the wind effect, but there is no panning from right to left present. The soundstage is solid, with passable width and a little bit of depth. A big side gripe I have with OH10 is the weight. I don’t whine about IEMs and if they sound good I get on with them in spite of some negative user experiences, but HOLY HELL these IEMs are heavy in the ear. I listened to them for an hour and my ears felt exhausted, not from the music but from the weight of the OH10. It’s almost too much, man. But overall, I really do enjoy the OH10 and I think it’s an IEM that’s very deserving of it’s place in the hobby.

Wait though, Goober…this is a review for the KBear and you promised us a Ghost Pepper Hot Take but you’re detailing the Ikko OH10. Why are you…oh. Oh, no?!?

Yes. Yes, I’m talking to you about the Ikko OH10, in detail, because when I listen to the KBear Storm, I am listening to an absolute equal to the OH10. The Storm is tuned 95% identical to the OH10 in that they are both full on bass-boosted diffuse-field tunings. Storm actually differs with a few alterations that I prefer; first Storm plays in a way that I perceive as a little more neutral than OH10. It doesn’t play as heavy in the sub-bass, with a little more emphasis in the mid-bass with punchier bass than the OH10. It also doesn’t sound as forward in the midrange, vocals and instruments are more balanced in the mix. They have an equal tonality and timbre in vocals and instruments. In the upper-midrange and treble, OH10 sounds brighter, particularly through the early treble around 5-6k. Storm has a cut there that takes some of the bite off at higher volumes, and while there are times I complain about cuts in this area, I like it very much here. Storm and OH10 have mostly equal treble from there on, with extension in the deep treble. What I’m saying here is that Storm is a more neutral-sounding IEM than OH10, though it’s still pointing towards warmth. Storm and OH10 share a pretty equal footing in terms of technicalities, but Storm’s other big advantage comes in the soundstage. While they’re rather equal in width, Storm has an incredibly deep soundstage. It’s the BEST soundstage I’ve heard in a budget IEM, and it’s a worthy challenger at any price. This is a GOOD soundstage, regardless of price. It’s fantastic.

What Does This All Mean?

It means I owe a debt to Breakfast Club. The fact that he loaned me the OH10 is the reason why this review exists. Without the reference point of the OH10, I never would’ve had the confidence to make this declarative of a statement. I’ve gone out on limbs before but I know one reason why that fell through the cracks is that I did not have a frame of reference that most of you reading this can understand. With KBear Storm, the game is different. I’ve listened to a lot more IEMs now. I have a grasp on what I like and what actually sounds good, and I feel humble enough to be able to separate the two, when necessary. And now I’ve heard sets that a lot of you have heard, so when I make the comparison, you can do more with that information. And to my ear, KBear has made an IEM, at $15-20, that competes favorably (and for me is better than) one of the Old Gods of the hobby. And I will stand alone on this hill if I have to, but for me, this is a large part of what my journey has been about. I’ve thought about the OH10 for over a year, it’s been a permanent fixture of my Amazon IEM wish list, and there’s been more than one time I’ve almost pulled the trigger on it. If I had bought it and then came across the KBear Storm, I would have been rather upset to find out that if I had just waited a little while I could have found an IEM that’s the OH10s equal, for 1/10th the price. This is why I hunt the budget sets. Especially in 2023, the market has moved where you can find quality, and it doesn’t have to be the sets that everyone else is hyping to the moon. This is better than Cadenza to me, because you can find 5 other IEMs that sound a little like Cadenza at the same price point. Can you find another OH10 at $20? And that’s going to be it for this review. Enjoy your days, and take care till next time!

Rank For Ikko OH10: B
Rank With Personal Bias: B
Ranks As a Food: Hot Chocolate

Rank For KBear Storm: B
Rank With Personal Bias: B+
Rank As a Food: Spiked Hot Chocolate

9 Likes

PS - I was out of photo attachments, but while you’re sharpening your pitchforks, take a look (with caveats for judging across squigs)

1 Like

You spice has been added good sir, I’m looking forward to actually seeing how this plays out tomorrow. I’m looking forward to A/B’ing the OH10 and the Storm side by side to see if what you’re saying holds merit, but honestly, I can’t see you standing on this hill without a considerable amount of time thinking about it.

Fantastic write up, once again :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Do some nozzle modding on the OH10 and its a beast.

1 Like

Can you do me a favor? Check OH10 stock and modded against his Rosefinch graph and post it please?

2 Likes

I’ve heard so much about OH10 that I now HAVE to buy myself a storm.

4 Likes

Thank you. You’re the best!

And yep, that tracks to my ear

5 Likes

You’re killing it with graphs backing up your expectations/what you’re hearing. Good ear!

6 Likes

Thank you. I can hear @domq422 from his job whispering

“Get the coupler, Brandon. You NEED the coupler…”

:roll_eyes: Shut it, Dom!

6 Likes

hums oddly generic theme song

Welcome to the magnificent Boston Central Library, site of today’s Goober/Eyebrow music listening session date.

I’m your announcer, Chip Hardwinkel

and thank you for tuning into the pre-game show. We’ve got a highly anticipated matchup and we are expecting fireworks in about 90 minutes!

Edit and note: I’m only here so early because it’s nearly impossible to stake out an empty table for use, and it’s better to not waste listening time just trying to find a place to set up

10 Likes

Yeeeeeah!

Crowd Cheering Crowd GIF - Crowd Cheering Crowd Hype ...

2 Likes

The only thing bittersweet about this is I have like 30 more minutes with Serratus before I have to give them up.

These are so so good

4 Likes

Currently En-route onboard the beautifully luxurious Boston MBTA blue line heading towards the city :sunglasses:

See you in a little bit, pimp. Thanks for warming up the Serratus :wink:

3 Likes

Ah, fond memories of the MBTA :slight_smile: used to live pretty close to one of the red line stops!

1 Like

Wanna drop like $5k on the table like a pair of pimps?

A good time was had. Details incoming…

6 Likes

You (the vortex) vs the guys she tells you not to worry about …. :joy::joy:

A good time indeed :handshake:

6 Likes

haha its shockingly small isn’t it?

2 Likes