Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

This one really is a lottery though…with their QC.

Really? I haven’t heard many bad QC reports regarding the 500 tho.

oh boi…

FYI; the whole E series is infamously known as having absolute shit QC.

1 Like

Wrong company bro it’s Simgot EA500, but ya Final Audio I’d avoid lol

7 Likes

Lmao that is horrible QC, but like jay was saying, I meant the Simgot

6 Likes

my bad. Saw E and 500, so Final Audio ptsd came up in my mind. :rofl:

10 Likes

It’s okay. We shouldn’t have put you through that trauma again :hugs:

I was right.

@GooberBM

This type of planar can be found in the Tin P1 and the P1+. Along with the Toneking P10. All 3 are over 100 usd. So pretty nice to see them being used in a much cheaper iem now.

7 Likes

That is a cool find. The stupid name and design copying aside, if these are tuned well, they could be a really nice IEM under $100.

2 Likes

Now we wait, and we see.

Hopefully this isn’t a New Coke situation, New Rosefinch…

4 Likes

My Impressions of Tangzu Wu Zetian (Purple OG)

So I’ve been way behind on actually reporting thoughts on IEMs/Buds because I’ve been getting reacquainted with my headphones lately (missed you Poseidons😘) but today I’m spending time with the OG Empress and seeing if I’ll come around on planar.

So my favorite planar has been the Panda, and of the v-shaped planars I’ve heard, I do think Timeless is tops. So really it’s a matter of “does the Wu push either of those sets for me?”

If I’m being frank:

PROS

• It’s the smoothest of the planars I’ve heard (putting aside Panda’s mid-centric tuning). There is no sibilance or harshness for me.
  • Planar technicalities are fully on display as usual. The imaging, separation, and layering are fantastic, and things so very clean with elements standing out as they should in a mix.
  • These feel ideal as a “long-listening, just having the music going whilst you do other things” set.

CONS

• I find the bass lacking. It’s sub-bass focused, and is fine for that, but the bass lacks impact. This is “I like the bass out of the way of my mids” pillowy, for my taste.
  • These aren’t overly analytical at all but they could use more musicality. I feel like this set is aiming to make recordings sound good (which it does), but I don’t feel much toe-tappiness.

Overall, they’re fine. They do not suck. If Dom wanted them, I wouldn’t fight him for them. Meh :expressionless:

9 Likes

That’s interesting, I find the heyday edition slam harder than Timeless (from memory :thinking:). Tbf I eq them, but I eq’d Timeless too. They’re also bit more power hungry than the 7hz. Have you heard the heydays?

@GooberBM …well that was not the Penon email I expected!

2 Likes

I have not heard the Heydays, but I think I’ll be getting them loaned to me so I will be able to do an OG/Heyday A/B down the line

1 Like

Hidizs keeps back tracking on the MS5 listings for $440 saying it may not be final price.

I hope they do come in at a competitive price as the MS5 itself looks like a banger! The MS5 is sporting some nice hardware so fingers crossed maybe toes too.

Anyone get notified for review sample?

And removed again LOL.

Welcome SpaceCloud, my old friend

This is when a cable single-handedly gets an IEM back in the rotation

3 Likes

Okay, so boys I did a thing. I couldn’t help myself and I just wanted to see what would happen. This is NOT an endorsement in any way. I DO NOT encourage the insanity I’m about to describe.

Listener discretion is highly advised

So I put a set of low-density filters into the nozzle of my spare pair of Rosefinch and then played some Armin Van Buuren. My findings are as follows:

• You can volume scale until you die from bass now. It’s terrifying!
  • I felt reminded of @Lcg842’s brother’s wedding we went to: The music pounded, I couldn’t tell you a single lyric of a single song that night if you tested me, it was energizing and had you wanting to dance more…until you finally got overwhelmed by the amount of pulsating bass and loudness and you had to get onto the balcony to breathe and not get pounded.
  • Then after a short break, you jumped back in for more.

As a music listening experience, I’d say very easily this is not about accurate reproduction. It is about being viscerally engulfed by the music. I’m gonna keep this in the back pocket, just for those moments I need to feel like I might die listening to some EDM/trance.

But this is not an EDC type of mod. Unless you’re one of the brave and the bold

4 Likes

if you want giga bass, put some “sony import foams” in them.

:joy:

well, tbh, that crazy bass increase is due to the CRA nozzle being quite a bit smaller than the foam, so the foam gets compressed. Otherwise.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not trying to die for this brother!

I was doing that listening while out running errands. Now that I’m home, I’m trying air filters to bring that bass back in line, but seeing what it can do with the better volume scaling

Well, if you are interested in messing around, I did recently find some new filters out on taobao and asked a store on ali to carry it. (dunno how good they are yet.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005331410286.html

1 Like