Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

My thread now

1 Like

Hi, and welcome my New Nymzian Overlord!

As to where my definition of neutral is coming from: it’s the fact that while each set has a slightly different emphasis, there’s no part of the signature that truly dominates the rest of the frequency (this bearing itself out that graphically, neither the Etymotic/Olina SE/Fan 2 have any part of the frequency that you can hear running +/- 10.5dB from the flat part of the midrange.

The Fan is less emphasized in the upper-mids than Olina, which would probably graph difference between the highest and lowest point as closer to +/- 6-7dB instead of up closer to 10-11dB. In reality, the bump in mid-bass into the low-mids does add more body and brings instruments like the drums a bit more forward. Olina having more of a slope puts higher registered instruments more forward, hence why drums sound audibly more impactful and full on Fan 2, but you get more energy and bite in electric guitar on Olina SE.

But I wouldn’t call the mid-bass too emphasized, where the drums overwhelm the rest of a song. They don’t at all. The Olina is actually less neutral in that way; drums are tangibly more further back, than they are tangibly forward on the Fan 2. Plus neutral doesn’t mean there’s no emphasis. That would be flat IMO. I definitely like having a warm version and analytical version of neutral, to be able to enjoy things differently when I feel the urge to do so

That’s too much, didn’t read. I just came for the memes. Had to come to the post office to pick a sexy little thing :drooling_face:

There’s no rights and wrongs in audio, just preferences.

Im hungry.

Better?

2 Likes

Ahahhaha

What affordable sets would you like to review, master @GooberBM?

I wanna get my hands on Cadenza and Hexa. Kima is something I will EVENTUALLY want to see if it can break the curse of the Aria-style tuning, cause I can’t win with it at that price point. Besides my stated lust for Performer 5, Paul Wasabii speaking nicely of the BASN Bmaster 2 makes that one interesting but not anything I’m dying to try. Other than that I’m honestly not dying to try much of anything. Even though I liked the P1 Max, I don’t think I’m really a planar person, after trying it and Timeless A/B. Like I get why planar is something people like, but Dom described P1 Max as a planar that sounds more like a DD. So if I like the planar that doesn’t sound like a planar, it might mean planar’s not for me

Edit: @nymz I did not know about the SGOR Venus but that too, in the budget range

1 Like

Ok, good to know! :slight_smile:

I love how @GooberBM Is now the Budget overlord on this site - Give this man the respect he deserves! Meeting up with him and texting back and forth on a daily basis really proved to me his dedication to this hobby.

Goober, I commend you :handshake:

4 Likes

Thank you but…

Santa nymz will take care of him

1 Like

@Nymz may be the master troll of these parts but that doesn’t mean he’s not serious :wink: Exhibit A? daft punk custom set… I thought he was trolling, trust me on that :rofl:

See what I’m saying?

Nymz, what are you doing? Nymz. What are you doing?

I’m craving a good chicken curry man

LOL what the hell :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The man knows his food. That is unimpeachable! I’m not mad at that craving

My curry is nothing special. What’s even more sad is that my GF’s love hers recipe but I’m lukewarm about it.

Oh and some nan bread or whatever is called. Damn I’m hungry

2 Likes

Naan. It better be garlic naan though. That’s the good stuff. At least you have a girlfriend that knows her spices. I love mine, but she’s just a couple steps above “white people cooking their chicken without even salt and pepper” levels of spice aversion. I’ve dragged her kicking and screaming into civility.

Dating a girl who commits hate crimes against her food is not acceptable :heart:

2 Likes

Luckily my wife is a banger of a chef - She makes this butter chicken, with rice and some beans and I just melt every time.

I don’t mean to brag, but, I’m somewhat of a chef my self :sunglasses:

giphy

Goober, I’ll have to make you my Filet Mignon with roasted potatoes one day - I promise, it’s life changing.

4 Likes

If I can bring the (from scratch) buttermilk biscuits and mac and cheese, you have yourself a deal!

2 Likes