Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

Who-what-now?

Probably this:

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

This is a visual representation for why I’m not on the Khan hype train, as is. Set is really good but that’s way leaner of a signature than I like.

I think Khan is a good execution of a sound signature I don’t care for, at the end of the day. If you don’t like lean mid-bass, there are options

5 Likes

Day Two Impressions of QKZ x HBB Khan & KBear Storm

• On advise of my general counsel, I tried Khan off of 4.4mm balanced and on single-ended and the 10Ω impedance is real. These make way more sense now.
    • Lesson learned: Khan is for 3.5mm listening. Thanks @domq422

• Storm is a different tuning and that’s going to scare a lot of people off, but I’m liking it. These make me more curious about sets like the NF Audio RA10/NA3 and QOA Gimlet.

Two different ways to skin a cat, but they work in their own ways

3 Likes

Thanks to Breakfast Club, I am SO OVERWHELMED I don’t even know where to start.

The IEMS: Modded BL-03, Penon Serial, MEAOS Eagle, OH10, OG Penon Fan, HifiBoy OS V3

The Buds: Rikubuds Grand Archer and TGXear MOTHER FUCKING SERRATUS!

I’m dead, y’all. I’m dead.

Thanks @rattlingblanketwoman. You’re a Certified G and a Bonafide Stud!

12 Likes

More presents? Damn! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m feeling hella blessed. And to show my gratitude I’m going to have to issue a Reader’s Advisory Notice:

Strap up your big boy pants, because I have done about an hour of listening and I can tell you the next week or two are going to be filled with some Spicy Hot Takes

You’ve Been Warned!

6 Likes

I don’t want to rush you at all, but you should know I’m super excited to hear your impressions!

3 Likes

Curious, what was modded on the Blon03?

Original filter removed, tuning foam inserted, plain grille put back on. Also about 1-2mm of silicone eartip stem at base of each nozzle so that any actual eartips that are put on extend further out and don’t sink too far back.

1 Like

First Impression of TGXear Serratus (as by my girlfriend)

• Song 1 - Holding On - Dabin (from my test list) smiles
  • Song 2 - Fundamental Elements of Madness moans and sighs softly

Yeah, I think even the non-audiophile hobby freaks can love this.

Let’s see when I get my turn…if she gives them up

10 Likes

My GF’s First Impression of Serratus vs. Grand Archer 1 and Grand Rider 1

Turns into a First Impression of Serratus vs. Grand Rider 1

Grand Rider

• Super clear vocals
  • Easy to pick out instruments/details
  • Was amazed by swirl of wind in “When I Fall (Outta Love) - Kevin Olusola”

Serratus

• This is a different beast. It’s better.
  • One note: found vocals a little shaper/forward on Grand Rider
  • Everything else: Serratus, please and thank you
7 Likes

200 usd lol. :see_no_evil::cookie:

3 Likes

I played her the Fundamental Elements song on Grand Archer and she went “hmm” and listened critically cause I was gonna ask what did she think. She tried Grand Rider and was still listening critically. When she put in Serratus she moaned a “mmmmm” and then smiled.

(after I stopped the clip)
Me: What did you think?
Her: (waffling for words) well I don’t know how to explain it
Me: (nonplussed look on my face) I played the song and you moaned
Her: Yeah, it took me places

Yeah, that covers it

3 Likes

Are you two just playing music in bed? :stuck_out_tongue::joy::joy:
I’m glad she’s such a fan of the Serratus! They are very good

1 Like

If only…

Thanks for the suggestion though :rofl: :joy: :smirk:

1 Like

Now now those are TOTL earbuds - don’t get too tangled up whilst listening to music :smile:

2 Likes

Ranked as food: Queen Clam

2 Likes

MY First Impressions of TGXears Serratus (as if you all even care now. A girl shows up and y’all lose all your shit…losers)

• Ummm, yeah. Pretty much what she said above

• These definitely do not lack for bass, like buds can. They don’t have a dominant sub-bass, but there’s PLENTY of mid-bass to keep me happy

• Everything that precedes the reputation of these is valid. The imaging and detail retrieval in Serratus is stupid good. The swirl of wind in “When I Fall” was everything the GF described. Plenty of IEMs can do right ear and left ear wind as a blob, some IEMs and buds can pan the wind from right to left as it should, but very few can make the panning have depth and verticality. Serratus is on the list that can
    • Serratus (and the many sets I’ve gotten to listen to the last few weeks) is giving me the confidence to feel like I’ve heard enough of a range of sets to finally declare 5/5 grades for some sets in some categories. I think I’ve finally heard enough from across the board of entry-level all the way to TOTL enough that I have a frame of reference to declare something “the best I’ve heard” or “as good as I think it gets”. As such, it’s going to be time to reassess grades, and it might be time to hand out S-tier grades

• Spoiler Alert: I’m handing out S-tier grades now…

7 Likes