Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

I won’t speak for more than my opinion, but for me? Yes, EA500 at $65 breaks the market.

I personally think both JD7 and EA500 do laps around all of the hyped up $20-50 budget sets, but at $80-90, they were priced where I could listen to arguments for the budget sets. I don’t think there’s a good argument for a budget set over EA500 at that price. I’d press someone to wait and save up if $20-30 is what you can stretch today.

EA500 also kills price-to-performance going up the price ladder which is simply cause of both filter options being usable. If one sucked, I’d be way less effusive, but it’s flexible, versatile, has great build quality so far in my experience.

Like I said: no-brainer at the price

3 Likes

What Goober said is gospel!
100% No brainer. FU Auto Correct :grin:

2 Likes

Exactly! I fucking hate Brians!

3 Likes

What if your name is Brian?

Queen Brian May GIF - Queen Brian May Stare - Discover ...

4 Likes

Then your a legend!

2 Likes

Fun fact: He was (is?) on the board of the school I went to when I was 11-15 years old, at least once while I was there he visited and I saw him walking about. Some of the boys I knew were lucky enough timing wise to jam with him.

5 Likes

Akros is on the loose with EA500

4 Likes

My good deed of the day has been done.

5 Likes

I have new goals for the year…when I get a good sale

3 Likes

I appreciate the high omnivorous degree. You can keep driving your headphones no matter what you’ve got left in the fridge to feed them.

Even for an approximate graph, this is a lot of early gain, no?

6 Likes

Might be, but I wanna try not-safe tunings, because it might be special. Plus it has a 4.4mm modular plug. That would be cool to try on the EN1000

1 Like

One of the few things I know cause issues for my ears is a peak around 2KHz. That’s one of my “don’t mess with it” sections of the FR (gives consonant sibilance). Another that is bearable for me but an anti-preference is a 5k peak for what it does to vocal timbre.

I didn’t bother to count vertical lines in the scale to work out roughly where the highest peak in the new Simgot lies though.

2 Likes

You can get an idea of Simgot’s house sound with the black filter in EA500. If that’s too energetic for you, then you’d wanna stay away from most of their lineup and just stick with the smoother red filter.

It’s a good canary in your coal mine

2 Likes

It all depends on the real scale: if the lines mark the 5dB steps as we are used to, the set could be used as a torture device I guess. If the lines represent 1dB increments, it would make a very tame signature. Since the graph seems to be here to show how little the plug-system changes the sound , I suppose the latter is more probable (but way less fun for a the future reading of Goober’s feedback).

2 Likes

I think their scale must be very off because.

4 Likes

Still very curious about how the bass will sound in an iem thats using the bass radiator. in hps, they tighten the bass from my experience and should be the same theoretically in speakers.

7 Likes

Don’t expect feedback any time soon. That is a “future curiosity” buy. But it has me very curious

1 Like

I already said it’s on my “gonna try” list. Stop trying to flirt with me :kissing_smiling_eyes::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

theoretically, using a passive bass radiator in iems seems to be pretty damn ideal. Since the cons with using that instead of bass reflex (speakers) is that they dont extend as low, BUT with iems, you dont really struggle with sub extension so that con shouldnt be doing much here.

As for pros, they tighten the bass, makes it faster and gives it a lot of texture. even my frankeinstein DIY hp with that driver does that (and the 1More H1707 has a ton of bass texture).

Ops, sorry. :rofl:

3 Likes