Good Amp pairing for Utopia and VC

In some ways yes, others no. The qutest will extract more detail and microdynamics, with a more precise stage, but the bf2 will have better impact, timbre, and stage width (but not as accurate placement as the qutest)

If you can get a qutest pretty cheap, then I’d go for that

1 Like

Hey @M0N I just realized that I forgot getting back to you… Considering the time you spent getting back to me, I think you deserve to be informed of my final choices :wink:

First, I finally sold my VC and bought a pair of Auteur. I find the Auteur more in-line with my preferences (less colored tuning, with a tighter/cleaner and a sweet and organic timbre) The VC sound a bit “too much of a good thing” to my ears with its elevated bass, saturated mids and overly wet and rolled-off treble. The VC’s presentation is more 3D and technicalities are more impressive than the Auteur though, but all in all, I ended up preferring the Auteur as a more laidback alternative to complement my Utopia.

As for my new Solid State DAC/Amp combo, I finally jumped on a great deal for a Questyle CMA Twelve (with the vertical stand, it fits pretty well on my limited desktop space). Wow, I’m really impressed by this DAC/Amp combo! With the Auteur, it’s an awesome pairing to my ears. Clean, controlled, spacious, airy, great punch, organic mids, with great finesse, especially in the treble… And it got balanced XLR and 4.4 mm outputs. It delivers quite a lot of music, especially for the price I got it. It doesn’t have exactly the same visceral impact and the sweetness of my Woo WA8, but it’s not very far (to my surprise)… Quite impressive for a Solid State IMHO.

Even with the Utopia, I find it very impressive. It sounds way better the other Solid State Amps that I’ve tried before. It doesn’t have the annoying dryness and digital glare that the merciless Utopia is able to show… It rather highlight some of the Utopia’s strengths (transparency, finesse, nuances…) in a organic and natural approach.

Well, for the first time in years I might think I will be okay for some time with my actual setup :wink:

3 Likes

That’s always a great feeling…sonic contentment and music are a match made in heaven :+1:

1 Like

:+1: nice nice

Oh that’s a nice pairing, also pairs well with the utopia too, good synergy

Would agree

That’s the best feeling lol, glad you are enjoying everything

1 Like

Hello M0N,

I just bought a Denafrips Ares ii to test it and see if all the praise about R2R DACs worth it or not (and it sounds pretty good :smiley:). Especially paired with my Woo WA8, major improvement there! It really shows how the WA8’s integrated ESS9018 DAC is outdated… My Utopia are sounding more immersive and spacious than ever from this combo!

From one of your previous comments, you mentioned that the MICROZOTL MZ2 could be an interesting upgrade for my WA8… Can you elaborate a bit more about how will be that upgrade (in terms of resolution, soundstage, or any other aspects…). Could it be a good synergy with the Ares ii? It seems to be an interesting Amp…

Don’t hesitate by the way if you have more suggestions to pair with the Ares ii and the Utopia (under 2K$ if possible). I’m looking for a organic but detailed sound to complement my Questyle CMA Twelve (which I still enjoy a lot by the way). Pretty accurate and transparent DAC, great resolution, separation and imaging, with nice Class A amplification too. It makes both my Utopia and Auteur shine.

Also, is the MICROZOTL MZ2 is good with Hifiman planars? I owned a pair of Arya (v1) several months ago and I think I’m missing that kind of holographic experience, so going with an Amp that could handle planars well could be even more interesting. I’m looking for the new Edition XS, or maybe a used pair of HEK v2 / HEX v2. From memory, I was enjoying the Arya more with the iFi iDSD Pro (in pure SS mode) than the WA8 at that time, so I don’t know…

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

:+1: sweet, the wa8 has a real nice amp but the dac could be better, giving it a nicer digital source will benefit for sure

So it would offer overall more clarity (neutral forward signature with a slight midrange focus), better imaging and placement accuracy in stage (although slightly smaller stage, but the depth makes up for that), more overall dynamic performance, moreso in macro than micro but still upgrade in both compared to the wa8, timbre might be equal, better speed and separation, somewhat similar texture, somewhat similar grip and control. I think it has decent synergy with the ares ii but I personally think that colors the amp a bit too much for my preferences, but still enjoyable.

I do think the mz2 + LPS is an upgrade, but it is a change of signature, it is not as relaxed and forgiving as the wa8

I still think this, personally I’d just wait with the wa8 and then consider moving up to a mz3, eddie current studio b, or modwright tryst, I think that would give more benefit that moving to a mz2 now. It’s going to be a very apparent and more substantial upgrade for a utopia, and I think it’s worth saving for. Later on you can upgrade your dac to that level as well (for the mz3 it pairs very very well with a lampizator amber 3, sw1x dac ii, sonnet morpheus, aqua la voce s3, also great pairings for the 2 other amps as well)

I don’t really think so, it somewhat lacks the grip and control needed for the higher power demand planars. Personally I’d avoid if you wanted to mainly pair with an arya. I did find the mz2/3 to work well with planar like the audeze lcd 24 and final d8000 pro which are more efficient, but not some of the larger hifiman imo

The eddie current and modwright did work well with the hifiman planars though imo. But if your main focus is the larger hifiman you might be served better with other amps

Would totally see that, the wa8 would somewhat be running out of steam as well

Edit: I should stress that for the mz2 to be potentially worthwhile, make sure you get the power supply upgrade, it is pretty worthwhile (if you can’t or don’t want to save up for a mz3)

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all of those detailed answers, I really appreciate!

So, the big question is : Do I go for an immediate and substantial upgrade, or saving for a better and bigger one… From your comments about the MZ2 vs WA8, I think saving for a EC Studio could be the way to go…

So, the MZ3 is a major ste-up from the MZ2?

Can ma CMA Twelve could be a decent pairing with mid-fi Hifimans like HEX v2 or XS?

For myself I would honestly hold out and save up, it would be more rewarding in the long run in this case imo. That being said it would depend on how long you would actually have to wait to save up, if you were content and still enjoyed with your current setup, if you feel like you aren’t really enjoying your current setup that much then swapping over to something else like the mz2 makes more sense, and also if it’s going to take you multiple years of waiting to get to something like the LTA or EC or whatnot then perhaps going for the mz2 now could also make sense. But I think if you like what you currently have and it isn’t going to be too much of a stretch saving up is the way to go if you plan to stick with the utopia

Yes, basically a further refinement of what the mz2 can do taken to the next level

I think so, it will take a more micro and slightly relaxed focus with the hifiman, but still pretty enjoyable if you are into that

1 Like

Great. I’m not in a hurry at all since I’ve just added the Ares ii to my chain and enjoying it a lot with my WA8 for the moment.

I will probably put some energy finding a pair of mid-fi Hifiman in the next weeks :wink:

1 Like

Hi @M0N ,

I recently pulled the trigger for a used HE1000 V2 (very nice and enjoyable headphone by the way!) and I’m driving it with my Questyle CMA Twelve, which sounds great and well balanced to my ears.

While I see a lot of praise for Violectric V280/V281 pairing with HEK V2, I was wondering if it could worth looking to change my Questyle for a Vio and a dedicated DAC… From your experience, could it be a worthwile move?

And what about the newest Vio’s line, like the V226 (for the Amp only)? Could it be an even better option than V280/V281 for the HEK V2?

The rabbit hole never ends… :wink:

Thanks a lot in advance!