šŸ”¶ Grado GW100

Well most people use tube amps for grados and I donā€™t have one plus donā€™t have to worry about an amp just straight off my phone

If I really like them might upgrade to the hemps

1 Like

The seller was ā€žJoe-Audioā€œ. Bought on amazon UK with delivery to Germany. But it is possible that they deliver to continental Europe from a different warehouse with different stockā€¦

1 Like

giphy

2 Likes

Well they came in definitely enjoyable for me they kinda remind of a bright kph30i not crazy detail but dat low end do

1 Like

Hello! After watching Zā€™s reviews and looking through posts, I see comments on sound stage and detail but nothing on imaging. Does anyone have a take on the imaging?

If itā€™s anything like the SR80e then the imaging should be pretty good. I donā€™t know if I would use them for super competitive gaming but itā€™s should be plenty satisfactory for music.

Thanks A_COC0NUT. Mostly for movie watching and around the house stuff. Cooking and following youtube recipies. The open back is nice because if someone needs me i can hear whatā€™s going on in the house. IMO perfect for family days where everyone is around doing different things. Hopefully the imaging and sound is good for movie watching. Or at least Iā€™m hoping.

Iā€™ve been using my SR80e with geekria pads for movies and TV recently and they are great for that. The GW100 should be a great choice.

2 Likes

@A_COC0NUT The Geekria pads just open those headphones up to excellant all rounders in my opinion while preserving enough of the ā€œGrado soundā€ to ensure you know youā€™re still wearing Grados. Best pad investment Iā€™ve ever made. The Earzonk arenā€™t terrible and itā€™s so easy to swap pads I use them from time to time but the Geekria pads are where itā€™s at.

2 Likes

I wonder if the geekria pads might be good for the GW100. They are pretty stretchy so I think they will fit and they might even make wired sound better. Have you tried them on you GW100 by chance?

@A_COC0NUT The GW100 is a bigger pad with different design. I donā€™t think the Geekria pads will fit. I can try here in a few and report back. The only pads I know of for replacements right now are the stock ones.

@A_COC0NUT So the pads are different. See below.

GW100

SR80e

That is quite a lot bigger. Oh well. At least they sound good in wireless mode.

1 Like

I would say if you loosen the headband itā€™s good in imaging and more relaxed but if you tighten the headband the low end and treble is more present but imaging is kinda messy.

1 Like

Thizguy00 Thanks Iā€™ll have to play around with them when they get here next week!

1 Like

I just found this graph. Wired (green) vs Bluetooth (blue).

2 Likes

I upgraded to GW100 from my post-2009 Alessandro Musical Series MS-1 (factory tuned low-end Grados). I had G-cushions on them and couldnā€™t live without, so I installed a set of aftermarket G-cushions on GW100 too. The foam stretches, so it fits and stays in place. Donā€™t be discouraged by the inner foam diameter, you can fit a G-cushion with zero drama. The stock foam pads, sitting on ears had a tingling sensation with deep, long and punchy base. G-cushions solved that and added comfort. I swapped cushions after a few tracks, so I canā€™t comment on how it affected the stage and etc. I like the way it is now. I had this slight nausea at the beginning, either because I listened to a variety to bass-heavy music to test the headphones or I had to get used to it, but after a couple of weeks, thatā€™s gone. Iā€™m not crazy about deep deep base because it costs mid-range and treble in some headphones, but GW100 actually manages incredibly well. 3.5mm jack does the work when you just want to watch YouTube or do random stuff on computer and not have a BT 5.0 signaling at point blank to your brain, and itā€™s OK. I use KOSS KPH30iā€™s for that purpose though. GW100 on BT delivers detail as itā€™s pushing low frequency awesomeness, and that I think is worth $250 easily. If I tested these and the price was $500, Iā€™d cough up that too, since you donā€™t need a DAC and/or a headphone amp.

For the record, I have the updated version.

8 Likes

What BT audio codec are you all using?

Iā€™m playing from a samsung phone that defaults to Aptx and I was thinking they sounded pretty thin in the low end. I EQed them for stronger bass and was fairly happy but then I tried switching to AAC. Whoa, way more bass. Deeper sound.

I find this strange because the two codecs are supposed to be comparable in sound quality. Could it be that the onboard DSP only works with the AAC codec?

thatā€™s interesting. did you search Google to see if others experienced anything similar in changing from Aptx to AAC or visa versa?