šŸ”¶ Grado Ltd Edition Hemp

Headisrhar?

1 Like

Autocorrect /autofill on an iPhone is a beeyatch.

1 Like

Hemps arrived late yesterday PM and I am listening to them this amā€¦

Alex

3 Likes
2 Likes

Nice review. I like that you were explicit with the playlist. I still havenā€™t found the congestion (and youā€™re not the first reviewer to point it out) so perhaps Iā€™ll have to buy that Brandi Carlile trackā€¦

2 Likes

Im glad you took my recommendation. These are indeed classic rock Kings.

As for the congestion, I only ever heard it in the most complex/heavy tracks like the Doom 2016/Eternal ost. For that kind of thing I prefer my TR-X00 PH anyway.

Great review.:+1:

2 Likes

These just arrived like an hour ago. First impressions are mostly positive. Sound has been great so far. The comfort of these things is pretty atrocious right off the bat though, Iā€™m hoping the pads will break in after a while because right now they feel like pumice stones are squishing my ears. The headband is also shaped in such a way as to only touch a small part of the top of my head and the lack of padding is quickly creating a sore spot. Also this cable is uber thicc and I donā€™t like it.

5 Likes

Welcome to Grado. You can bend the headband to better fit your head and the pads do break in (as do your ears). If you end up loving the sound as much as I did, then you can get a padded headband from Shipibo. I found that the gimbal set also improved comfort and build, but it might be a bit expensive for some.

While I cant personally confirm, this looks like it could fit the Grado headband.

2 Likes

I believe in the SR60/SR80 thread, people found that the Beyerdynamic headband cover fits. Not sure if the hemp has the same form factor.

They should. The only real difference shoukd be that the Hemps have a leather wrapped headband.

Can confirm on the Beyer headband but you definitely lose range. Iā€™m all the way at the top, luckily this fits me perfectly

3 Likes

For some reason this picture has got me thinking of a what if scenario of a person using a guest bed to lay all their headphones on for storage. Heck, if they use half the bed, they can just fold the other half of the covers over it.

2 Likes

I Like this idea and this is my bedroom lol, you could even change the sheets as like a back drop. Itā€™s great for when i wanna bring everything out and testā€¦

1 Like

I just got and installed the shipibo headband. I bought the entire thing, so the mod is completely reversible, you just need to be careful when removing the gimbals from the cup and you can get the original headband off without damaging anything.

Regarding the shipibo headband, everything but the height gets loose, so it makes it easier to fit your head and comfort improves.

Looks are ok, it doesnā€™t get much different than the original headband. itā€™s just a little heavier.

2 Likes

Some thoughts regarding the Shipibo headband. The Grado headband is completely flat with almost zero padding, but given that itā€™s flat it distributes pressure nicely. The Shipibo headband has padding, so itā€™s round instead of flat, the thing is that the headphones are not heavy enough to compress the padding, and then you end up only touching the edge of the headband. Maybe itā€™s worth to harvest the original leather headband.

Could you post a pic? It would be nice to see how the whole ensemble looks. Also I do agree that the headband doesnā€™t really need any padding for me since the headphones donā€™t weigh anything (but I seem to be very resilient when it comes to comfort).

7 Likes

I think the roundness you describe would actually be good for my head shape because right now I get just one small point of contact on my head and despite the fact that the headphones weigh very little, after a while it becomes uncomfortable.

I was referring to the roundness of the padding. Maybe softer padding would solve the issue, itā€™s kind of stiff.

The shape of the headband can be adjusted to fit your head more comfortably, you just need to carefully bend it.

I just took a good look at your wood (wow, phrasing) and you got some really nice patterning.

2 Likes