Gustard x16 vs Topping D90

I have buyer remorse. I brought the Gustard x16 and i am pairing it with the A90.
Everything is fine but. When i A/B test with my older dac the Modi 2. I somewhat prefer the sound of the modi 2.
I got more soundstage and a more natural presentation. I do got more detail and speed with the Gustard, but it sound less enjoyable overall.
Everything is connected single ended, because i am waiting for the XLR cable to arrive. Will it make a difference?

It definitely makes a difference, but the a90 is your problem. A tube preamp solves everything and keeps that detail that the x16+a90 combo has. It’s currently my daily stack and doing an a/b with and without the tubes is night and day. For music the tubes are a must on that combo but for gaming I skip the tubes. If you’re going to go that route, get one with at least a bass and treble knob to adjust them.

I don t know why you think A90 is the problem, i a/b only both dac modi and x16 both with the A90.
Do you have a recommendation for a preamp tube, didn t think i will go that deep in the rabbit hole.

It’s just that you lose quite a bit of detail and tonal density going to the modi but the timbre is more natural. The a90 is really unforgiving and the x16 is super analytical.