Halp! finding my 'Jack(and maybe the rum?) Of all trades' Headphones

Thanks all for the advice.

I went back and forth over the past couple of days thinking whether I should just save up more and jump straight to my endgame ( ZMF Aeolus or Auteur) or use the argons as a stop gap. I came to the conclusion that maybe I was getting a little too far ahead of myself, like trying to run before I can walk kinda thing.

I now know my approach for getting everything.

Like @Hazi59 advised. I’m going to get(order) the headphones first before acquiring the gear. T60 Argons with suede pads( should give me a bit more neutrality than the mk3s but with an overall similar sound. Best of both worlds)

@Kierkegaard Interesting you should suggest as it was an option, but no matter what I looked into i always kept being pulled back to the argons and i think sometimes you need to satisfy that voice otherwise I’ll always wonder about them y’know?

Regarding the amp/dac, the build time of the Argon will give some time to save up slightly more, on top of the $250 left over from the budget, so I can purchase the Asgard 3 with multibit(don’t see myself changing this for a while). Hopefully by then they should be back in stock in the UK and if not, well there’s always shipping :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/schiit-asgard-3/4398/424?u=ledechaine

Edit: Corrected.

I was in a similar situation not long ago.

I now have the 6XX, the DT 770 PRO 250 and the Sundara.
Powered by a Schiit Hel and a BTR5, with a Magni 3+ and a CTH in the mail.

I’d recommend small steps.

If you want open and planar, the Sundara are fantastic. Two weeks in, I’m really enjoying them.

If you’re hesitant (and in the US), the 6XX are a very, very good, cheaper, non-planar alternative.

Here’s a LPT I’ve learned in the last month: actual differences are significantly smaller than what you might expect after reading audiophile opinions and reviews. They are there, just not mind-blowing (usually). Also, sometimes it takes time for you, your ears and your brain to adjust. It took me a long time to appreciate the 6XX.

If you told me I had to give everything else away and could only keep the 6XX and a reasonable amp like the Hel (or even the BTR5, but with my balanced cable so I can tap into its full power, please), I’d be very happy. Although I do need a closed back sometimes, to mask the background noise.

PS: I know you like the idea of virtual surround sound, but after you get the audiophile bug, you might change your mind… It does weird things to the sound.

Yeah, after using headphones with zero soundstage for like 10 years, I found headphones with decent soundstage and… it’s hard to believe. Virtual Surrround Sound™ is just a gimmick. You will be surrounded by sound with any good headphones with decent soundstage.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve not taken the plunge with the dac/amp yet. Figured it would make sense nearer to when the headphones are meant to arrive; otherwise it’ll just be sitting around.

I may order the Monoprice Monolith THX combo instead then as its in a similar ball park price wise to the Asgard with the dac built in. No point investing in something that will be bottle necked by design. May even consider Topping DX7 for that remote life…maybe :see_no_evil:

@fxxr Great point about having to adjust to the sound of something and that, ultimately, someone’s appreciation of something comes with time. I’m sure this will be the case with me. Like I said, I know where I’m heading now and more importantly, thanks to everyone’s help,where I want to end up. There’s an Aeolus on the horizon somewhere :slightly_smiling_face:

Virtual surround sound a gimmick? :scream_cat:But i wanted my life to be like a movie :joy:

Edits- Added :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face:s

1 Like

Topping DX7s is on eBay for 400$, even includes balanced out for active speakers.
DX7 Pro even has Bluetooth AptX-HD/LDAC included but is 600$.

No monoprice thx available in my neck of the woods. I think that solves it then , as long as it’ll be able power an Aeolus. Topping DX7s it is!
Armchair listening here I come :grin:

1 Like

Not trying to derail the thread, but I quickly wanted to ask you how the Sundara compares to the Beyer? I’ve got the same beyer, but I’m thinking of upgrading to the Sundara because I find the highs on the beyer a little too fatiguing. So your opinion could help me out a great deal.

It hasn’t arrived yet, but they will also be powered by a Schiit amp. Thanks!