Have any one here had expeiecen pad rolling te meze 99 Noirs?

I tried using 2mm and 3mm felt with the default pads and a set of brainwaves sheepskin pads and it just didn’t help any. Honestly the hollow sound in the mid range is why I haven’t looked more into pad swapping. Well not really I stopped as I would need to buy WAAAAY to many pads to test to find the one that sounded the best. the cost of money and time A/Bing isn’t worth it as an individual. That’s why I made this post I had hoped someone already had lots of pads to try swapping. From what I have gathered the three best options where the Brainwaves oval pads (I din’t like them as they had a big hope in the mid range), Sure 1540, and YAXI stPad2. both of those are 40ish dollars.

1 Like

What dekoni pads did you get for them?

what amp do you use with them? curiosity more then anything. i have tried my noirs on a few different types of amps, and because the reccessed mids, i find they work best on warmer amps. YMMV and i don’t expect you to buy a new amp for 200$ headphones :slightly_smiling_face:

edit: one the of better and cheaper ones that i have found, was a surprise for me. a creative dongle(dont remember name, sorry) its like 30$. got it for my wifes laptop. she doesnt like equipment lol. had to get something small for her. she also uses coolermaster mh751 as daily drivers, nothing hard to drive. just like the noirs. its a surprisingly capable dac/amp combo on the cheap. but like i said earlier, don’t expect you to buy an amp. just could be part of the issue of your hollow mids is all.

JDS labs Atom and I have a Hiby R3 pro DAP

nice clean linear amps. a cheap option could be a chifi tube preamp. get it off of amazon and you get free 30 day returns if it does not work out. they can add mid range warmth and presence. they are like 40-45$ on amazon

edit: sorry for mistypes, brain little fuzzy still. had surgery earlier and got put under for it.

edit2: they also have high range and low range tone controls that work on a sliding scale. if u turn highs and lows down slightly with them, mids will become more in balance by default as you will then introduce a reverse v shape sound. just something to maybe try as another option.

I love my noirs, but i do not love them on every source.

Elite Sheepskin for the 99 series.

Interesting. I see the Dekoni pads basically have the same depth as the stock pads – 22 or 23 mm.

Wonder why your ears aren’t hitting the grills? Do the Dekoni’s have denser foam than the stock pads?

I sadly had ruled out the Dekoni’s because I thought the same depth as the stock pads would continue the minor ear pain I feel now with the stock pads.

Could be denser foam because they are no longer touching the grills. Quite comfy. I have the Brainwave something or other in the mail today too so i can give you some A/B comps there too.

I have a love hate relationship with the 99s Classics and pads. The pads they came with are uncomfortable and have horrible seal, with or without glasses.
I ordered Brainwavz ovals in 3 versions: felt, hybrid, pleather. The pleather are the ones I sticked with, mostly because I hate that felt, it’s a fuzz magned and feels nasty on the skin.

On to the sound, the Pleather Ovals sound like a bass truck at a rave has parked next to your ears.
But here’s the thing where they work for me, my glasses partially break seal and that crazy bass is just not there anymore, I can hear the mids and enjoy them without blood shooting out of my eyes.

Is this good? Fuck no. Meze needs to refresh these with some actually usable pads that don’t ruin the sound.

1 Like

Very cool. Yes, please keep me and others posted here. If the Dekoni pads reduce some of the bass creep and remain comfy, they’re winners!

Quick follow-up: Do the Dekonis tame the bass or add to it? I love the deep, rich bass of the 99 Classics. So much fun.

But I would like to eliminate some of bass’ coloring of the mids. I know EQ can do that, too, but it would be nice to slay two dragons with one arrow – better sound and more comfort with a pad swap.

I think it tightens the bass. it’s not as boomy.

1 Like

@pk500 @MarlFox So I got the brainwavez Sheepskins and it just seems to be less of what the dekoni Sheepskins are. While they have similar bass (not boomy so much) it’s less but so is everything else. What I love about the dekoni pads is it feels tight all around. even the fit around the can is tight and tidy. You really miss out on the engaging parts of tight music. And if you’re into hip hop and like a funky beat, you’ll get that shit. No ifs about it.

1 Like