HD6xx Sidegrade Suggestions

From my experience there was not a sound difference, I would personally go for the premium

1 Like

OK thanks and 880 Premiums over the K712 Pros?

That would be my personal preference but both are solid picks. I think the Beyer’s have some extra refinement that the modern k712 don’t have, that being said some find the Beyer treble to be a bit much at times, but when you pair it with something like a monolith liquid spark or perhaps a magni 3+, then it is a bit more pleasurable. Also something to consider, is that they work well on a tube amp, and so do the 6xx, so in the future grabbing a tube amp might be something to try if you wanted to mix things up (which for the 6xx would add some soundstage and separation and reduce congestion a bit, but that being said the liquid spark or the 3+ would most likely also be an improvement over the receiver)

2 Likes

how wide is the soundstage on the DT 880 600 ohm vs. the 6xx or the 600’s themselves?

A decent bit wider, the 600 is known for being pretty intimate, and the 650 is a bit wider than that (along with adding more low end to please those who wanted it), both are what I would consider intimate. The 880 600 ohm in comparison is pretty wide and spacious, where at times things can sound a bit claustrophobic on the 650 or 600 (but that can be remedied by a tube amp or a nice amp at times)

3 Likes

Thanks M0N for that and the additional info on the soundstage between the 6xx and DT880s. And many thanks to you all for all of your suggestions. I now have a lot of thinking/research to do!

2 Likes

That sort research is a whole lotta fun…and here’s welcoming your wallet to the rabbit hole lol.

1 Like

If you are happy with your HD6xx and looking for a side-grade, perhaps you may want to look at a new amp such as an OTL tube amp

3 Likes

very good suggestion. I’d want moar headphones first tho…usually more affordable route to learn the flavors you like and don’t like.