HE4xx and Liquid Spark owners, a question

Oh, the one I have is 6ft not 10, but I don’t imagine that makes too substantial of a difference.

It was purchased “open box” from Monoprice, so I’m just going to settle, return it, spend an extra $20, and get a brand new unit, and a d10 at the same time.

It was the power brick that shipped with it, appears to be corrrct from all labeling… I was actually hoping it would just be something like needing to get a DAC since it was my plan anyways. I suspect there’s no way in hell I should be able to max the volume even on high gain without causing some damage to myself or the headphones lol. Might see if I can find a shorter RCA at work just to yolo it and see if maybe there’s a fault with the cord but I’m guessing that the amp is just bad.

Maybe I can get free expedited shipping from Monoprice, save me from having to wait another week haha.

I have the same setup it’s definitely the fact that you are not running straight from a DAC into the amp. I currently run this and it sounds fuckin uhhhmazing for the cost. You should only have to get to about 11 o’clock on volume knob before it begins to get to loud. Topping D10 and liquid Spark, I was running a Asgard 2 but wanted a change in sound. Going to get the liquid platinum next and the SMSL M100 and airist R2R dac

Definitely not power hungry(4xx) but they do loooove the power and sound better louder! :slight_smile: Although I have noticed running the LS on high gain even when not needing it does sound slightly better than low gain on some songs but that’s few and far between.

I saw that RCA cable on Amazon. How it’s it? I’m about to get a dac/amp stack soon and i defaulted to Amazon basic cables. I also plan to buy 4XX down the road too but I read a lot of people complaining about quality control issues. I hope it’s not as common as it seems

1 Like

I agree that having a DAC would help a ton… but I feel like there’s no way at all I should be able to max the volume out on the LS with my 32ohm crappy Logitech headset plugged into it and barely have it be louder than straight out of the headphone jack on my phone.

I dropped it off to a fed ex pickup location after work tonight, so it’ll get there in a few days, take 7-10 days to process and then I’ll get a refund and just buy a new one haha. And my d10 at the same time!

Also in terms of build quality, my 4XXs seems sturdy af. Everything feels pretty premium, and they’re very comfy. I feel like the quality issues were on the earlier runs.

RCA cables barely matter. The amazon basics cable are fine

1 Like

Brothers <3

1 Like

I just bought some cables that Z recommended the seismic cables I really like them. And they’re cheap try those they’re really good!

Hell yeah brother! Such a good combination! Tried with my old modi and the amp showed it’s true colors and the modi was “schiit”

how does the d10 compare?

1 Like

It’s a lot clearer in the highs and mid-lows. With the Schiit Modi 2 I had it had that strange veil over some frequencies and some frequencies even missing. With the D10 everything is cleaner and more pronounced. Such a great buy! Now onto testing and buying the Airist R2R!

According to the internet people, the modi 3 and topping D10/30 measure the same. Just fyi.

The D10 looks cooler though.

basically why I bought it was just curious what he meant about the liquid spoark showing it’s true colors on a worse dac

By now we all know measurements arnt everything. Voltage wise and signal to noise yes they can be the same, but that doesn’t say anything about the actual sound.Same as a FR can’t show imagine and sound stage of cans. Just my 2cents.

I have a question for LS owners. Roughly what was the weight of the package when received from Monoprice. I see the Amazon website say 1.99lb which is like 0.9kg and that sounds correct as the amp is only 280g. The company sending me my LS weighed it at 4.5lb /2kg and im paying more now due to the weight. Is the box really that heavy? Can’t imagine the power adaptor, foam and then the actual box weights that much. Please help. Thanx

the box is pretty hefty compared to the unit itself due to the power prick and paper work.

1 Like

This sounds like some kinda extra special box all right!

Yea but 4.5lb is heavy. Just doesnt sound right