HeadAmp GS-X mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amp

RNHP sounds pretty damn close and some instances more enjoyable which is $500 USD new.

1 Like

I have been thinking about that for months. I think I can get it up here for $599.00, plus tax or about $700.00, landed.

I bought mine used, works great and if you ever plan on getting the LCD X… that amp is a must (or Asgard 3 according to Hazi who hates that headphone).

Did I read that you said that it did it’s magic in the mids? I really am a vocals first kind of guy.

I am not a huge Audeze fan, but the LCD1 piqued my interest, based on price. More likely, if I was to buy an Audeze it would the LCD2 Classic.

Yes it does, more so than my mini which is kinda sad. It’s a weird sparkly upper mids. On the Ether CX it breaths some life into them that no other amp can.

3 Likes

Comparing the balanced out of the THX 887 and the GS-X mini… OMG the difference is night and day with the song . Piano and the scratchy sounds of the vinyl injected in the song… sound so much more accurate and in place on the GS-X mini. The brass on the song actually sounds pleasant and like actually brass on the mini instead this slightly compressed garbage from from the THX 887.

If you like listening anything that is acoustic, GS-X Mini stomps over the THX. Is it a fair comparison price wise? No… but it is what I got and I purchased the mini for all the reasons I purchased the THX initially just with a different budget. The GS-X Mini is delivering everywhere the THX 887 I hoped would which is:

• Transparency
  • Accuracy
  • Power (single ended out performs the THX by far in a test with the PC37x cranked to 1.9k ohm impedance)
  • Analytical

Added benefits of the mini over the THX are:

• Bass is clearer and less muddy
  • A touch of sweetness to the upper mids and highs (not to RNHP nor as holographic unfortunately)
  • Much more dynamic
  • No more THX veil/discoloring.

THX 887 advantage:

• Still makes my Blond B20 just sing (don’t attempt if you’re treble sensitive), however the amp is still a bit dark.
  • Best listening experience to Star Wars movies still.
  • 3 stage gain still make this a favorite amp for IEM’s (untested so far on the mini so far).
  • The veil makes some crappier recordings more tolerable.
  • When you want compressed sound, this does a good job just naturally
2 Likes

Sounds cool! But, for four times the price it should spank the THX hard.

I bet planars sound a lot better through the GSX.

1 Like

Depends from headphone to headphone. The THX is amplifier that is darker, compressed, and there is a harshness to it with the upper mids and highs. Plus the veil I mentioned on THX is rather annoying once you understand it (and does not work well with the LCD X at all).

If love your Audeze headphones and need balanced out for the price, Schiit Jotunheim might be the better pairing here. Mind you I’ve never heard the Jotunheim just heard it compared to the THX 887 and comparing with my LCD X listening time. Mind you, one key gripe about the THX is worse on the Jotunheim which is the singled ended power is garbage.

The fact that at this price for the mini, I found an amp that the single ended performances is QUITE good, I have single ended and balanced balanced out with pre-amp at the flip of switch… I’m ready for a headphone amp now that I could eventually connect to Vidar’s as a mono blocks for a wonderful speaker experience if I choose too.

I find that with my THX (SP200), it does not play well with bright/brightish headphones. However, the LP works with everything.

I don’t own any Audeze headphones, but I am curious.

After hearing someone not enjoying the LCD X as much as I do after they were purchased and brought out flaws I somehow overlooked… DO YOUR HOMEWORK when it comes to Audeze. The are a very polarizing company with many of the models that may be to your taste or not.

I tried Audeze LCD2’s a few years ago and was completely underwhelmed.

I have been curious about the LCD2 Classic’s and for some reason, the LCD1’s.
I just think that the LCD1’s are so cheap that I could try them out and resell them without much of a loss, if so inclined. Of course the rule of “you get what you pay for” is almost always in effect. :grin:

I had two sets of planar’s that didn’t impress me, but the Sundara’s really have.

1 Like

The Lcd2c with the Liquid Platinum is gorgeous.

2 Likes

I`ll bet!..

1 Like

So… what have I learned about the GS-X Mini so far?

I hear noise out of my Sonos Port going coax -> to the Bifrost 2… Thanks mini… you ruined a source.

Klipsch HP-3, I can’t hear details and masks how wonderful the amp is overall. Thanks mini, now I learned what gear doesn’t scale up (even if it costs $1200 MSRP).

LCD X, I literally want to hear more detail because my Bifrost 2 isn’t giving me enough. Thanks mini, you ruined my favorite DAC because I hear what I’m missing and now I want it.

Headphones, LCD X sounds great but seems like it’s holding me back on details. Nueman NDH@0 sound better but again, DAC and amp are resolving better than the headphones can handle. Thanks mini, I’m stuck looking at upgrading to the Diana Phi or Diana V2 now.

So, summation? The amp is awesome but now I question every previous purchasing decision I had up to this point. I’m hoping my ZMF Ziricote Eikons and fill a void this amp now makes it feel like it’s opened up in my collection. If anyone is looking to jump on the v280 deal on drop, do it because it will treat you well and I assume won’t make you second guess everything else you own as much. Is the GS-X Mini a good purchase? OMG yes (except for the HP-3’s that sound better on a Dragonfly Cobalt).

So, now I’m on the hunt for a good DAC. Front runners are:

• Holo Spring Level 2 (I’ll do the mods myself for the kitsune over time)
  • Schiit Yggdrasil
  • Soekris anything (interested since the Airist R-2R is so awesome)
  • Denefrips Terminator (would rather not, but tempted)

Sound signature I’m looking for is accurate, detailed, but fun. Nothing terrible and harsh treble doesn’t seem to bother me that much but not so much that it makes me question the music. With the LCD X ideally I don’t want an amp that is overly dark can can deal with cold or bright bias. Just want those details as the Bifrost 2 will never be sold because it performs just so well. I’m lucky that I’m planning to pick this up about 4-6 months from now new or sooner if I find a deal I can’t afford to miss.

3 Likes

How do you feel about the HP-3’s now? From what I have read and heard over the last few months the take away seems to be:

1. They are drop dead beautiful to look at.
  2. They don’t sound especially great.
  3. They are stupid expensive.
  4. Build quality is less than stellar.
  5. And they don’t scale up.
    Yikes.

On the upside that amp is Awesome! :+1: :grin:

1 Like

HP-3’s are wonderful if you don’t want to dump a ton of money into an amp and dac. Most people can call it that end game.

This mini is good for people that will shop Diana, Susvara, LCD 3/4, etc… Just make sure the amp signature has the sound you’re looking for with a headphone just like anything else.

So I wouldn’t say the mini is ideal for the susvara, but I do think it does well with an hek v2 or hekse

1 Like

I’ll admit, the susvara comment was something I read at head-fi.

1 Like

Luckily I am too poor to afford it. And I certainly couldn’t afford to replace the collection. :laughing:

1 Like