HeadAmp GS-X mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amp

Like someone wanted to avoid having to put heatsinks on the transistors/MOSFETs

The exposed metal is solder that acts as a heatsink. A valid design decision if you don’t have other through-hole components. But as there are trimmers, caps, etc. (through hole), a “meh” (7/10) decision.
UNLESS there are thermal pads on the other side of the PCB.

I like the trimmers and the hand-writen serial number :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!

I’m really curious about the sound, and someone just picked one up.

1 Like

They are pretty sweet, I liked it when I tried it, similar signature to the gsx mk2 that I used to have. It’s going to be a brighter clean sound that’s well defined. Personally I prefer it to like a phonitor e

:thinking::face_with_monocle:

I heard it again at canjam nyc so now I have more time with it. Previously I got like 10 minutes with it, now I spend more time with more headphones. I could see myself still saying nothing special in the terms of nothing extremely unique, but its a good product for sure

1 Like

I was thrown off when I saw your recent comment! :laughing:

It looks really well built. I’d love to get some play time, but I don’t know how redundant it would be with an RNHP.

I think it’s clearly a higher tier of amp technicality wise, but it also isn’t going for the exact same goal. I do think it would def be an upgrade tho, just not direct

1 Like

All I can say is the mini is a wonderful amp that puts out.

1 Like

Hmmmm… :thinking:

I can’t! I’m saving for a Phonitor. :laughing:

Will it drive HEDDphones?

Someone?:grin:

Resolve said the sweet spot for HEDD phones was 2w at 33 ohms or more, if I’m remembering that right? So it should have more than enough powah.

Fwiw, it drives my Aryas at like 10:00 (am), which is like 33% of the avaliable headroom.

1 Like

It drives mine all day long.

2 Likes

Now to figure out how to justify to the partner… :thinking:

1 Like

Walgreens will accept FedEx shipments. And they’re still open. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Just picked up my Norne cable from Walgreens.

3 Likes

Haha. I didn’t want to ‘call you out’!

I wished everyone would’ve chimed in two months ago when I initially inquired… :laughing:

I might pick one up next month after I purchase my BF2. This will give me the excuse I need to start buying higher impedance headphones. :blush:

2 Likes

I’m actually not sure if it’s a worthwhile addition to my setup or not yet. Comparing to a phonitor e, they are both excellent solid state amps. If I wanted to collect topologies it would be cool. The Gilmore Lite is a pure class A.

I’ll have more to say later on that, though, as I’m able to do more comparisons.

2 Likes

I’m in thought to sell my mini as now I have Woo WA33 pm if interested.

1 Like

I finally got mine in!

Mostly loving it so far except now I want to buy more gear to match it. I may need to try a few DACs since the BF2 and this thing either aren’t a great match or I haven’t found the right headphone to make the chain work to it’s fullest potential. I can firmly say I have 0 interest in getting Rebel amp at the moment.

9 Likes

It’s not an RNHP, this is more like the THX 887 I always wanted. The RNHP does something still to the sound I prefer.