HeadAmp GS-X mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amp

How do you feel about the HP-3’s now? From what I have read and heard over the last few months the take away seems to be:

1. They are drop dead beautiful to look at.
  2. They don’t sound especially great.
  3. They are stupid expensive.
  4. Build quality is less than stellar.
  5. And they don’t scale up.
    Yikes.

On the upside that amp is Awesome! :+1: :grin:

1 Like

HP-3’s are wonderful if you don’t want to dump a ton of money into an amp and dac. Most people can call it that end game.

This mini is good for people that will shop Diana, Susvara, LCD 3/4, etc… Just make sure the amp signature has the sound you’re looking for with a headphone just like anything else.

So I wouldn’t say the mini is ideal for the susvara, but I do think it does well with an hek v2 or hekse

1 Like

I’ll admit, the susvara comment was something I read at head-fi.

1 Like

Luckily I am too poor to afford it. And I certainly couldn’t afford to replace the collection. :laughing:

1 Like

I mean it will power the susvara just fine, but imo I think if you went with a susvara I would go for something different in that range as you could get more out of it from my experiences

1 Like

There are at least 2 happy customers. But as always I’ll listen to your recommendations before heading that direction myself.

1. Build quality is less than stellar.

I’m not sure where you heard this - these are easily the highest quality headphones I’ve ever held in terms of build quality.

I have read of at least two people having the earcups fall off. Not many in the great scheme of things, but for that price I was very surprised.

1 Like

Oh I see what you’re saying - yeah the earcups snap in magnetically. I haven’t had any issues but I guess I could see how that would be a problem some people might have. Besides that though, like I said I continue to marvel at the build quality.

Okay sorry, didn’t mean to derail the topic haha

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to be an a-hole, but outside of their looks I don’t hear much good about them. NO raving audio reviews.

I was just teasing DagoRed who I believe got them for like half price.

2 Likes

Yeah I got them on an Adorama deal posted here for $500 off. They’re great - I wouldn’t be happy if I paid full price though. My big issue was the leather strap up top, it basically requires Dekoni Nuggets or something.

3 Likes

We must have different standards on quality. Regardless they do not scale well with the GS-X mini. They make cheaper sigma delta DACs sound amazing.

Link to shown high quality HP-3. Ugliest Headphones? - #66 by DagoRed

Oof. :flushed:

2 Likes

…which is exactly what Zeos did with his pair.

1 Like
3 Likes

I can confirm much of what they covered is similar to my impressions.

1 Like

Considering cancelling my drop v280 order and getting this. Thoughts or opinions?

2 Likes

280 is a solid choice. That is 100% up to you. I got the mini because I wanted something for the Eikons. This amp BEGGED for headphones to pair with it, Diana Phi came in a few weeks later and the pairing is WONDERFUL. Also it came in Green and had a form factor on my desk that worked.

Yeah, I hope it will pair well with the clears and a2c. If the highs are amooth and it’s slightly warm I think it’s probably a good way to go. Especially if I can use it as a pre amp for my monitors.

The multi input switch is also attractive

Also red and black. It’s a thing I’m very into