HeadAmp GS-X mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amp

I’m not sure how to do the x post thing… :confused:

1 Like

It works. :slight_smile: People just have to click on the little arrow at the top right of the post to expand the message and see the image.

1 Like

initial impressions: This does pair very well with the LCD-X. Im running it with the BF2 and Moduis. The fact that I can run my monitors with this, such a great bonus. For sure runs class A warm, but not as hot as Asgard2.
Making some comparisons to what I currently have on hand, this is a much more spacious sounding amp than the RNHP. Specifically with the LCD-X it move the stage out in a substantial way. There are similarities between the two, But I think the gs-x extends a bit lower with cleaner low end. The highs render in a similarly pleasant way that I remember the Modius doing on the 789, but a bit easier sounding. An example might be on the track “Southbound” bu Lucy In Disguise theres a whistle sound that is a bit harsh on the rnhp, but smoother on the gs-x mini.

I have had no reason to go to high gain or past 12oclock on any of my cans (Aeon2close, ldc-x, and focal clears). I tend not to listen loud and this amp seems very accommodating of that due to how even the volume is at extremely low levels.

So far I like it. The open sound seems to be better for gaming as well. Which yes, I use very expensive headphones and gear to play video games :stuck_out_tongue:.

7 Likes

Spent some more time this evening doing some competitive gaming. I used my Aeon2 closed for this and good god are they a great match for this amp. I used my Modius as well as its my preferred gaming DAC. The sense of space was honestly much much better than I recall having with the thx-789 or CTH or Liquid Platinum. Like pinpoint accuracy, which I dont usually feel the need to have but it was almost spooky to hear. I also think the sound engine in Overwatch is superior to Modern Warfare and its much more obvious now.

I actually, after having this experience and listening to some music on the A2Cs, decided I have no need to follow through with my order of the Violectric v280. However I experienced an error when trying to cancel. So I guess Itll have to show up and get compared eventually. I hope it means its too far along in the shipping process to cancel but who knows with these drop clowns.

4 Likes

I had the V281 and I kept going back to the mini. The v281 was too warm for my tastes. Like it to be crystal clear with a hint of warmth like the mini. Don’t get me wrong by saying v281 is bad. It’s just not my taste.

2 Likes

Some more listening time today and yesterday. The difference between this and the RNHP is now a gaping chasm. I don’t know if the mini has break in or I’m just taking a while to hear what no longer seems like a subtle difference.

The mini is a much smoother amp. It’s also got much more slam. By smooth I mean the ease of listening, it loses nothing in detail. I actually think (opposing an earlier claim) this is warmer than the rnhp. At least when fed by the bifrost.

I’m trying to find a way to justify having the rnhp around. I think when the v280 shows up (in the future :cry:) I’ll have to get rid of one of these amps as there’s just not room for three on my desk. Keeping the two most expensive might not be feasible but we’ll have to wait and see what future Grant decides, he’s not very predictable.

3 Likes

The RNHP is more holographic… which as long as you have the LCD X I think the RNHP is the goto amp for it.

3 Likes

Im looking to see what future grant decides as well

Huh? The answer is obvious, the difference between the GS X mini and the RNHP is too close to keep both. The v280 will stay around because it creates more options for signal changes that handle significantly different headphones.

2 Likes

With the power involved and the pre-gain options, the V280 will run pretty much anything, balanced or SE.

It’s very easy to distinguish between the mini and v280(as long as it sounds like v281) that keeping both is a must. Both amps are full body sound amazing detail and no harshness.

1 Like

V280 finally shipped. Should be a great weekend for class a comparisons

4 Likes

oh man… My wallet is stabbing me in the leg saying stop/no…

the devil on my shoulder in holding my 1266’s saying you know you want it…

2 Likes

Offer him 1.6 and go for it lol. If he doesn’t take it, I think you could most likely try 1.65 and it would work out. Either way what he’s asking isn’t a bad price tbh lol

3 Likes

I emailed Justin at HeadAmp and asked him which headphones pair well with the GS-X Mini. According to him:

Meze Empyrean
Anything from Abyss
Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 (but heavy)
Focal Clear
Sennheiser HD800S

1 Like

Works pretty well with the LCD X, HP-3, <3 them with my Abyss Diana Phi, and ZMF Eikon.

This amp is very transparent to the source. I would assume based on my experience with the LCD X this should work very well with the LCD 4 as it works well with the Audeze house sound to make a wonderful clear and high resolving listening experience.

Sounds accurate to me, although the 800s can be a bit bright on that amp lol. Also I’m surprised he didn’t mention audeze, I like a lot of the audeze on there

1 Like

For any Canucks thinking about this amp, there is an ad on CAM. Not a bad price:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/57-headphone-amplifiers/

2 Likes

So my expectations based on recommendations and reading reviews proved to be correct. The Holo Audio Spring 2 Level 2 has some WONDERFUL synergy with the GS-X Mini and some how made my Abyss Diana Phi even more more of a joy to listen too on this amp!

Compared to the Bifrost 2 I can notice the immediate detail. I think the bass is clearer but not as punchy as the Bifrost 2 on this setup. This DAC is VERY VERY smooth and seems to be designed for working with gear that is equally as fast and resolving. I can’t say this is the most accurate of DACs but it’s definitely one of the most fun I’ve listened too. NOS mode seems to be the most dynamic and fun while OS and OS PCM modes is phenomenal just slightly outshined by the NOS mode. DSD mode might be the way to go if people detail and compression in their music, some movies it’s actually quite pleasant but my favorite.

The DAC plays to the GS-X Mini’s strengths and allows for a much more natural presentation. While I don’t think of the mini as bright, others do and I can say this DAC tones any concerns with bright to just be very enjoyable. With that said, I think it will be hard to find a more resolving DAC that is this fun and not resolving while still performing this well (M0N: shh). Warning, this DAC is huge but thankfully the mini can fit nicely on top.

6 Likes

That’s awesome. I’m glad you’re enjoying it so much.

1 Like