Headphone first or amp

What country? International can be tough.

Taiwan, so its easier to get topping stuff than stuff like schiit

What “doesnt sound right” when you listen to classical music, except the lack of soundstage? Too much bass, mids, treble? :man_shrugging:

Edit: Taiwan, nice. Greetings from Quebec (Canada). :slight_smile:

Can you get iFi there? Zen DAC + Zen CAN amp should be pretty decent for DT880 too.

Im not sure how to answer but i think its the soundstage.
(thx the internet is a good place to know people)

yes but my ocd doesnt allow me to buy them because I just cant stand the looks

Also would the k701 k712 be a recommendation?

Warning, if the treble ever hurt your ears on HD58Xs I would not recommend the DT880 at all.
And yes, these AKGs are recommended all the time for their apparently immense soundstage (I never tried these, though!)

Ah sorry to hear that … do you have any hesitations buying the topping stack? It has good power specs for the DT880 600 ohm

I agree with Don here. If you can’t get Schiit or Monoprice and you don’t like iFi, the Topping E30+L30+DT880 is likely your best bet.

I have K712’s on as I write this (powered from a LakePeople G103-S).
Soundstage is amazing, treble is not harsh, bass exists (= not a good fit for electronic music).
Comfort could be an issue since the leather head strap is just that, a leather strap.

Just keep in mind they are open (not AudioTechnica ATH-AD open, but open).

3 Likes

for orchestral and if you want a wider soundstage than the 58x Im also gonna say hard to go wrong with the dt 880, sundara or akg k712. all have excellent soundstage performance. the 880s excel in left and right imaging while the akg k712 and sundara have a wide more 360 sound it in terms of staging and imaging. the akg k712 can be boring at times bit its super accurate and a really good listen. I do feel the sundara would be the best fit especially if your into female vocals as I feel its a good contender in that respect. It has impressive layering and whole imaging itself is not as impressive or exact as the other 2 the soundstage is wide and separation and detail does a good job highlighting every instrument you want. but I could say that for basically all 3. the sundara is just the most dissimilar as it does have unique sound qualities that planars have just being a super fast driver thats hard for me to explain exactly.

Hello,
If, as you mentioned yourself, you have a tendency to go in the direction of what is clever.
Then I would rather say if you don’t have a dac yet, the Questyle cma 400i or the Singxer Sda 2.
They are a bit more expensive but then you are happy with them and you don’t need anything new on Dac. if you do then your headphone collection will grow :wink:.
Also in terms of performance you don’t have to worry about it anymore.
Alternatively, the Topping E30 with the Asgard 3 would not be wrong.
If you don’t have a Dac, you haven’t even pushed your current headphones to their limits, that would be the second step after having a good Dac/amp, but your Sennheiser headphone can’t be that bad, it will definitely be better than the He4 xx.
And the Sundura is supposed to be the better He4xx, so I wouldn’t expect a quantum leap as far as that is concerned. :hugs:

Thanks to all the reply. It looks the I’ll go with the k712 or the dt880 and maybe the sundara. I have a list of headphones that I would like to have in the future but I’m not sure how each one sounds and it’s hard for me to hear them in person so I would like to know which genre them perform the best in or of them have similar sound signatures. The headphones are the following.
6xx
T50rp(not the Aragon)
Helios
Phoenix

Did you decide what amp to get?

You can read some more detailed thoughts from me on the HD6XX and the T50RP (in the form of the Dekoni Blue - basically the same thing) by clicking on these links. I have not heard the Helios or the Phoenix myself yet.

seems like it will be the l30 since its the easiest amp for me to get, but im concrened that can the l30 drive headphones like the 880 or the 50rp, should i get the l30 for now or just go with a thx or a90 and end it right there

Get the L30. It has plenty of power for 880 and T50. THX amps and the A90 really aren’t sonic upgrades to the L30 either. Get the L30 and use the money you save from not buying THX or A90 to explore other headphones. When you find the headphones you love, come back to us and we’ll help you get an amp upgrade.

2 Likes

thx that sure will save me a lot of money for headphones

That’s an excellent advice. :+1:
I can confirm 1 watt of power is more than enough for T50RPs, too. I’d say 500mW is the minimum, considering calm songs.

so i just saw the video that DMS said about the 560s, should i wait for it or just go with the 880?