Headphones for mixing and music production

It could be that I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 first gen.

I also prefer to mix on monitors, I have something a lot cheaper though haha (JBL LSR305)

I don’t qualify as a professional either by the way. So I’m learning and experiencing.

:slight_smile:

You might want to get an amp and split the focusrite output to your monitors and to a dedicated headphone amp. I think you could get something like the jds labs atom which I think is a great amp for the price

Also I wonder if I can call myself a professional for mastering, would be nice (but I’m far too critical of my own work to ever say anything positive about myself lol)

I wanted a mobile interface and borrowed the 6i6 2nd gen and was rather disappointed with the sound.
Maybe I’m just too used to the sound of my ancient Firewire MOTU, which just does not want to give up.

An amp will definitely help, I also have one. JDS Labs is a good idea to keep costs under control.

LSR 305 are not bad at all and should be great to place the instruments. The Beyer should actually be much more detailed and show much that the monitors can not portray. If I only had one headphone in the studio, and not the best monitors, I would allways choose the 1990. But, If you just do not like them at all you should send it back.

AKG 812 are kind of special in the way they hammer some details into your skull. But they also have a lot of weaknesses. I’ll probably buy them someday as a supplement to the 880 because they show some stuff I do not notice in other headphones or my monitors.

So many headphones would only confuse me. I would rather pile up a lot of monitors because I mostly hear music through speakers. But I think I’m not as serious and professionel as you based on what I have read. I’m more of a failed guitarist helping out friends and occasionally making film music for locale indipendent filmmakers. I do not earn money with it but I enjoy experimenting with music.

2 Likes

I’ve just kinda been using headphones as much as my monitors because I want to ensure it sounds good on headphones and iems as that’s what most people are consuming media on.

Also have you considered something like the rme Babyface pro for portable?

I also had the RME in mind but I’ll probably buy a MOTU Microbook 2 and save the money for new preamps.

Testing the mix on different devices is always a good idea.

Yes, having a wide range of consumer stuff to test it on is a wise idea. I keep some cheap consumer earbuds, headphones, and soundbars to test it on, along with car stereos if I feel it has a likely chance it will be played in a car

That reminds me I need to pick up some more wireless earbuds like the airpods pro and the galaxy buds

I’ve heard great things about the RME stuff.

Check out the Universal Audio Apollo twin. Good bang for your buck with the unison pres/ preamp emulations.

1 Like

Yeah, UA is really good too. Personally I have kinda gone past the performance level of the ua and rme stufff already tho lol

1 Like

Oh that makes sense, got like bose too? The really popular noise canceling headphones. So many people I know have one

Yup, I do enjoy my qc35II. I don’t think I am going to pick up the new bose nc because it’s close enough. But I will pick up some airpods pro as those are going to get popular

1 Like

Oooooooh interesting. Yeah anything Apple typically is. Specially the airpods, seen em in every city of every country

Heard them a couple of days ago they really arent bad for what your getting

Which ones, the airpods? Yeah they aren’t bad, and the noise cancelling is kinda neat too

Yeah specifically the pros the non pros are bad though not into those

Yeah the non pros are fairly mediocre, and tbh I feel like the silicone tip is what makes them a fair bit better

Yeah that added seal and extra features really adds the extra that makes them competitive to other tws iems in that price bracket

What kind of stuff are you using? I can’t tell if I’m crazy, or I notice a difference/deficit in my UA :sweat_smile:

Will let you know when I get back

1 Like