đŸ”¶ Hedd HEDDphone

Thank you for watching @astr0n0m1nus !!

Nice review!!!

Honest, straight forward and very postive!!

A breathe of fresh air in the sea of reviews that nit-pick attributes negatively

I own the HEDDS as well as Focal Clears and Meze Emperyeans and others
they all are my favorites but the Hedds are indeed a very special headphone for sure!

Alex

:grinning:

2 Likes

Watched and subscribed! Cool content

2 Likes

Thank you @lost33 and @rmsanger !!!

2 Likes

I ordered a pair from Bloom today and should have them Thursday and I very much looking forward to hearing just how detailed they really are. Glad I got the Jot2 a little while back because the Heddphone likes power and the Jot2 has plenty of that.

Man, this is such a great sounding headphone and I love it. Are they heavy, absolutely, but not so much so that you can’t get used to them. I’ll deal with extra weight from a headphone that sounds as good as these do. I mean as far as SQ goes the Heddphone competes with some of the best on the market that cost $3000 or more and $1900 new they aren’t cheap either but you can find open box sets (which is what I did) for around $1500 or so and used ones on the 2nd hand market for even cheaper. If the weight isn’t a problem these are definitely end-game headphones and for me, that’s exactly what they are.

4 Likes

When I want to listen to piano, I most always reach for the Hedds
its that accurate and the “ivory” keys indeed come across very tonally accurate
Keiko Matsui’s Dreamwalk CD, Billy Barber are spectacular CD’s with the Hedds

Use an amp with some power, 1-3 watts for sure

Alex

2 Likes

Funny for the past few days the Hedds have not sounded up to “par”
a bit out of “whack” grainy and the phase was off somewhat.

I tried my other cans and they were “ok”
hmmmm.

I was using my HPA-1 into a tube amp with 4 out 6CA7’s
same thing this am Hedds “sucked”!!!

How could this even be possible??

Well I glanced at the tube amp and saw one of the output channels tube was not “glowing”!! Hmmm.

Electro Harmonix 6CA7
dark and cold to the touch!

Checked the bias with a voltmeter
waaaay off
shut amp down. Remove “dark” tube.

Replaced with a spare 6CA7!

Voila
Instant Hedd “Love” again

AH!

Its the small things

All is good once again in “Hedd” land
let the music play

:>)

Alex

1 Like

Glad you got it all worked out and that there wasn’t anything wrong with the Heddphone.

I saw the ASR review on the Heddphone and they showed crazy distortion on them but only at like 100dB or more which I can’t think of anyone that listen to a HP that loud unless they want to go def so I don’t see how that even matters. All I know is I’ve never heard any distortion and they’ve always sounded very clean and clear, easily one of the cleanest sounding headphones I’ve ever owned.

2 Likes

ASR is not in my vocabulary

:>)

Alex

INTRODUCTION

It’s been some time since I was able to do a review. I moved! And moving is exhausting. But, the HiFiGuides community had my back as always and had plenty of gear stacked up for me to check out once I got settled. One piece of that gear is the Hedd Heddphone. The Heddphone is an exciting product because it brings a new driver technology to the headphone market, namely AMT drivers. Before Heddphone, AMT drivers had been mostly relegated to high-frequency reproduction in speakers. I know that as of this writing in late June 2021 the Heddphone isn’t the newest kid on the block, but it’s still one of the only AMT-based headphones out there (Goldplanar GL850 being the only other one that I know of), which makes it exciting to check out! Let’s dive in

TL;DR

Sonically the Heddphone is an intriguing entry into the headphone world with its AMT drivers. Those drivers bring lots of detail and good timbre. Heddphone pulls off excellent detail retrieval without sounding forward or aggressive in its presentation, as well. The tuning of the Heddphone is likely best suited for mellow, acoustic music, with piano music being a real strength. It has a very pleasant, polite presentation that does little wrong, but isn’t very dynamic and does little to excite. Still, the future could be fun with AMT driver headphones. The physical comfort is poor, though, and will likely be a dealbreaker for many.

KNOW YOUR REVIEWER

My preferred genres are rock/metal and classical/orchestral music. I’m getting to know jazz more and enjoying quite a bit. I also listen to some EDM and hip-hop. My hearing quirks include a high sensitivity to midrange frequencies from just under 1KHz to around 3Khz, give or take. My ears are thus quick to perceive “shoutiness” in headphones in particular. I describe “shoutiness” as an emphasis on the ‘ou’ sound of ‘shout.’ It’s a forwardness in the neighborhood of 1KHz and/or on the first one or two harmonics above it (when I make the sound ‘ooooowwwww’ into a spectrum analyzer the dominant frequency on the vowel sound is around 930Hz, which also means harmonic spikes occur again at around 1860Hz and 2790Hz). In the extreme, it can have the tonal effect of sounding like a vocalist is speaking or singing through a toilet paper tube or cupping their hands over their mouth. It can also give instruments like piano, but especially brass instruments, an added ‘honk’ to their sound. I also get distracted by sibilance, or sharp ‘s’ and ‘t’ sounds that can make ssssingers sssssound like they’re forssssssing esssss ssssssounds aggresssssssively. Sibilance does not physically hurt my ears nearly as quickly as shout, though. It’s distracting because it’s annoying and unnatural. Finally, in a new clause in this section, I’m discovering that I have a preference for more subtle detail. I like good detail retrieval and hearing what a recording has to offer, but I prefer that presentation to what many would consider relaxed and subtle rather than aggressive of detail-forward. To my ear, more subtle detail-retrieval sounds more realistic and natural than aggressive, detail-forwardness. There is a balance here, though, because detail retrieval can get too relaxed and that can sound unnatural, as well. Readers should keep these hearing quirks and preferences in mind as they read my descriptions of sound.

FEATURES & BUILD

I’m not going to go into much depth on the driver tech as that’s been done already in many places around the internet. Those drivers are housed in a mostly rectangular, open-back earcup. The Heddphone is big and heavy. The earcups and pads have a lot of depth to them, and they stick way out off the sides of the head. They are open-back so there isn’t much isolation. On the other hand, they are not as leaky as something like HiFiMan’s egg-shaped series of headphones. Still, don’t plan to use them in a cubicle because everyone will still hear your music.

Cable entry is dual-entry with mini 4-pin XLR connectors in the same style as ZMF or Audeze headphones. The cable entry points are flush mounted so it should be very easy to buy aftermarket cables.

I have to talk about the comfort. It’s
less than stellar. That’s a nice way of saying that for my head the comfort – specifically lack thereof – is a dealbreaker. This review was difficult because wearing the Heddphone for more than 4 or 5 songs at a time became really uncomfortable. It’s not so much the weight. Heavy headphones usually don’t bother me. It’s the clamp force, the way the pads rest on the side of the head, and how warm they get for me. Comfort is very much a YMMV type of thing. It may work for you, but it doesn’t for me and I’ve heard several other audiophiles say similarly. I advise purchasing Heddphone from somewhere where you can easily return them if the comfort is also a miss for you. I understand that there is a second revision out there (quite sure I have V1) that offers a headband extension to alleviate some of that. I don’t need to extend headphone headbands very much so I’m sot sure if that would help me. Either way, readers should know that such a thing exists too and that I was not able to evaluate it.

Finally for features and build, POWAH! The Heddphone is not an easy drive. It’s rated at 42℩ impedance and 87dB/mW sensitivity. You’ll need an amp with some juice to get it to sound its best.

SOUND

Test Gear

I mostly ran Heddphone off a chain of Singxer SU-2 DDC → Berkeley Audio Designs Alpha Series 2 DAC → Violectric HPA-V281 headphone amp. I also spent some time with a Cayin N6ii DAP → Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC → Monolith Liquid Platinum amp with Amperex PQ Gold Pin 6922 tubes.

Sound Signature

Heddphone strikes me as having an overall neutral-bright signature. To my ear the treble has just a bit of emphasis to it. It’s reminiscent of the Beyerdynamic DT880 in this regard, though not quite to that magnitude. The bass is extended but lean. The mids are smooth yet well-detailed. The overall presentation is quite inoffensive. The treble is crisp and clear but almost never introduces any sibilance beyond what’s in the recording. The mids are smooth, present, detailed, and I can’t recall a single instance where I thought it sounded shouty when it shouldn’t have. Overall, the sound just doesn’t really do anything obviously wrong, and it’s fairly forgiving of electronics and recordings once properly powered.

As mentioned, the bass has good extension and also brings with it some decent detail and texture. It is lean and lacks slam, though. The bass that is there is good. I have nothing to complain about in regards to what is there. Personally, I would like more bass presence and more slam. Bassheads should probably spend their money elsewhere.

The midrange and treble are both excellent. They are smooth while being detailed, and crisp and clear without being sharp, shrill, or shouty. Detail retrieval was excellent. Room reverb, drum ghost notes, any kind of tuning dissonance, all resolved well. Heddphone does this resolving without it ever feeling forced, too-forward, or analytical. It retains a pleasant smoothness and musicality with that high level of detail retrieval.

The timbre is also quite good. In general, voices and instruments sound much like they are supposed to sound. In the price range the timbre from Hedd is among the best I’ve heard.

Macrodynamics

This is where the Hedd doesn’t necessarily fall short, but isn’t for everyone. The sound isn’t the most dynamic or lively. There is a pleasantness and politeness to it – still detailed! – that translates to not much in the way of impact, slam, or physicality. The bass-lean-ness means there isn’t much in the way of rumble, either. For me, this meant there wasn’t much involvement with music like rock, metal, hip-hop, or EDM that benefits from some punch or slam. Heddphone also wasn’t particularly engaging to me on music that isn’t punchy but has lots of rumble – think of things like Hans Zimmer’s OSTs here. However, for piano music, or mellow acoustic music Heddphone is fantastic. There the timbre and the detail retrieval become the focus and the physical too-polite-ness fades away.

COMPARISON WITH OTHER HEADPHONES

From a comfort standpoint
there isn’t much comparison. Heddphone is the most physically uncomfortable full-size headphone I’ve used to this point. I’m having trouble coming up with a close second, to be honest.

Sonically the Heddphone feels rather appropriately priced at around $1900. Its timbre is very good – perhaps only being edged out in this price range by the ZMF line. I didn’t get quite the timbral magic out of Heddphone that I experienced with the ZMF Eikon, but it wasn’t far behind either. The detail retrieval also seems appropriate, being around, and perhaps just a hair ahead of, the HiFiMan Arya. I’m going from memory on that though as it’s been awhile since I’ve heard the Arya. Still, from memory, the two are close. I think Heddphone is more forgiving of poor recordings than Arya even though it maintains that excellent detail retrieval. Arya has a bit more punch in the low-end however. For me the tricky part with Heddphone at its new price is that the HiFiMan HE1000V2 can be found new for as low as $2200 at times, and when it’s used it’s frequently around $1500. To my ear that is a significant technical step up almost across the board for a similar price, plus its much more comfortable. The only advantage I can give to Hedd there is that it’s still more forgiving than the HE1000V2, especially in regard to sibilance. The HE1000V2 doesn’t hit very hard either, but it hits harder than Heddphone.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Heddphone is a good all-around sounding headphone if you’re ok with lean bass and not much slam. The timbre and detail are very good. Piano music and other mellow acoustic music sound excellent on the Heddphone. However, I didn’t find myself reaching for it very often. First, it’s not very comfortable and I know when I put it on that it won’t be on for long. Second, it’s not the best sonic fit for my preferred music genres. I mostly listen to music that benefits from more bass presence and more physicality than Heddphone brings to the table. Even so, there are enough good qualities here to give me hope that a future AMT-based headphone could be very intriguing for me. If Hedd can fix the comfort issues and offer a more bass-present signature with a more dynamic presentation, I’d be very interested.

Thanks for reading, all. Enjoy the music! :beers:

6 Likes

Nice write up

I dont have any issues with the weight
and the fit is very good for me and I have the latest generation headband with the extra extensions.

I can understand your comments on the bass
some folks add a .5 to 1.5 db boost down low. For me its fine as is.

Wonder if you have listened much to some really “good” well recorded classical music?
The Hedd boys have designed its sound signature based on thousands of hours of classical performances, live.

IMO they really excel here
and I am not a classical type of listener much.

Also I find they really need an amp that can drive them as well
“well”
ie at least a full watt or better yet 3 watts +

Alex

Just took off my D8000 pros and threw on the Hedds, listening to Roberta Flack, First Time I Ever Saw Your Face, and voila “deep” sonorous bass
really nice. with HPA-1 and a B2.

1 Like

Thanks! I have several good quality classical recordings, and of course access to all I could ever want through Qobuz. I find the same issue there as I sorta like my classical music big and loud, too, haha. I lean more toward Beethoven’s 5th, 1812 Overture, The Planets suite, etc. where things tend to get big, loud, and bombastic too. I also like pipe organ - Peter Hurford’s rendition of Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor is stellar. With works like that the Hedd’s bass lean-ness makes them less engaging.

Still, with a little tweaking the AMT driver design could be a lot of fun in future models.

I know this is a HEDD thread
but listen to this:

(23) John Williams & Vienna Philharmonic – Williams: Imperial March (from “Star Wars”) - YouTube

I was sent this from a friend who has D8000 Pro’s and other TOTL cans.

When I listened to this with my new D8000 Pros. I was floored at how good this came across
I have not listened to this with the Hedds but will tomorrow for sure.

I will test with the Hedds, D8000 Pros, Empys and Focal Clear Pro MGs and let you know what I think. The baseline with the D8000’s is my “10” ATM.

Alex

1 Like

I am selling my Hedds
if interested PM me.

Alex

Would love to hear what @ZeosPantera’s thoughts are on this headphone.

Our latest video discussing the @heddaudio HEDDphone is live on TSAV’s YouTube Channel now!

https://youtu.be/V935QFBupMU

In this video, I share my impressions on the HEDDphone from Heinz Electrodynamic Designs, otherwise known as HEDD.

This video will focus on the build quality, design, and subjective sound impressions about the HEDDphone. Subscribe today for more videos on other personal audio products I also compare them from a sound perspective to two similarly priced headphones the Sennheiser HD800s and the Focal Clear MG. We will also discuss some synergistic amp pairings for the HEDD such as the Chord TT2, Yulong DA1 with Power supply, @ampsandsound Agartha, and the McIntosh MHA200. We hope you enjoy it, and please share the video with friends.

2 Likes

Very well polished review
great pix.
But your late to the party!

Great can

1 Like
1 Like

Hey guys! TSAV is blowing out all inventory left of the HEDDphone If you have been thinking about picking up a pair, they are new in the box and 42% off, or $800 off normal retail!

4 Likes