Hello I come to you in a time of great need: FIRST somewhat good headphone! lots of research ples asist

If you do plan to get the KPH, be especially wary of the headband adjustment area. Simple design is quite robust, but I’ve seen multiple photos of KPH30is breaking at that point. Like this:

As long as you take care of them well, I don’t see any other way they should fail unless you somehow get unlucky with a dud.

1 Like

Thanks for telling me if a buss powered focus can run these at any level.

As for music what do you think about whether the akgs 712 the dt 990 pros or the 880s would suit it the best I left some examples of what I like to listen to. ofc its gona be subjective but nevertheless I would like to hear your thots.

the hifi mans are a no go for me 2 experience 2 hard to drive and such.

the 770 are a no go as I stated im looking for my first open back pair and the 40 x es are closed back as well I would consider them if they where much better than their open back counterparts but reading this forum most agree that open back + closed back - .

As for the portapros or the 75s and the 30 is could you compare them to some mainstream headphone I can research like for example the porta pros are 80 % as good as the 712 pros but for 15 bucks or something like that so I can get a feel for them as it stands I dont get how they would stack up to full sized at all so convince me.
And thanks again for the comment much help good info <3 for you.

He right shipping is a B word .

Thanks for for backing up your claim if I do get them I will be careful not to stress the part or reinforce them with something.

1 Like

I was shocked when I saw it on Reddit about a month ago. Apparently this can happen from just taking them off you head by the cups.

I still want to get KPH30i to keep, myself, but this is a big yikes I will keep in mind because I have all the luck with build quality :upside_down_face:

They don’t make good hedphones, they make amazing headphones. I just think he is better to go with some Beyers, Sennheisers, or AKG’s - I am specifically commenting on the list of models from OP. With that limited budget, I doubt that he can get some goodies. I already told you about import duties in Serbia. I had a case where the import duties were 90 euros on a package with 100 euro value =)

@Not_Daijoubu made good points. The driver issues are common on “cheap” headphones, and it is 100% expected - it’s like a disposable camera, you don’t expect it to last forever, but if you have the money, then you can afford replacing them as much as you want. OP is not in that situation, he wants something that will serve him for some time. I mean his Sony’s are still holding up after 10 years of use.

I think OP should firmly decide on one of the full-sized headphones, and then buy the Koss’s just as unique headphone. They are like earbuds… but on steroids. But def wouldn’t count on them as a main headphone.

So at this point you should give him your opinion how the Beyer’s compare to the AKG’s. Is there anybody who heard the K712 Pro and some Beyers? If so, help the guy out, share your opinion and experience. Also bring Sennheisers into consideration - they have an amazing mid-range and well extended highs, but they are light on bass - still worth comparing to the other two companies.

The OP isn’t looking for thumping and rumbling bass. He has a speaker setup and isn’t craving for that. He is just looking for “above enough” bass. He told me that he mostly listens to melodic songs, and that he cares more about the melody element than the bass. Which means that he does NOT want a V-shaped headphone. I think he means Lo-Fi or something of that kind, just modern music that has the 808 kick and some instrumental qualities on top of that. He cares more about the instrumental qualities than the pumping bass.

1 Like

@AdvokatusDiabolI read the discussion over here: >$300 headphones for female vocals?

You will see that the AKG K712 Pro gets mentioned.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose so, shipping fees can be a pain in the ass and therefore ruins the overall purchase of the consumer who is looking forward to it for I had been there as well. I agree in regards with the build as well for my Koss KSC75s surely are not for your rough usage, for I have been careful with them most of the time.

Although if he could find a good deal to get the KSC75s, it wouldn’t hurt to have one just like us.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s what I am saying.

So, listen how it works here in Serbia. If the parcel is being sent by one of the big companies (DHL, FedEx, UPS) you are certainly going to be paying >40% of the packages value (if it isn’t expensive).

The problem with these companies is that you must pay a forwarding agency for the package to go through customs. The forwarding agency has a fixed cost of ~36 euros. Besides that, you are paying 10% of the packages real value for the customs, 20% of the packages real value for PDV (tax), and sometimes you pay additional tax on things such as the shipping cost or whatnot. Now, you do the calculation - 30% is just for the customs and tax, you have an additional cost of 36 euros on top of that (for the forwarding agency to get through the customs clearance process), and on top of that you can have the shipping costs… yikes.

So, if you have a package that costs 50 euros, you will pay:
36 euros forwarding agency
~15 euros (10% customs, 20% PDV)
Total cost of importing fees = 45 euros.

When my Hifiman Deva was imported here, I had to pay ~70 euros for importing fees, and that was based on a 120 euro value (I managed to convince the customs to charge it as if the package was worth 120 euros, instead of packages real value which was well over 250 euros)
36 euros forwarding agency
~36 euros importing fees
Total = ~72 euros

So hopefully this puts things into perspective, you quickly realize that you can be paying for importing fees more than the package is actually worth (happened to me once).

1 Like

Had to look up the Schengen Members again. I thought Serbia was part of it. Something something TIL

The list in the OP is missing the AudioTechnica ATH-A series.
Durability wise, Beyerdynamic DT-series is hard to beat. I personally did not like the DT-770 250 Ohm, I did not have a good amplifier when I had them on loan though.

Looking at customer reviews (not on Amazon), the Senn HD 569 is 7/10 ish, the HD 559 looks to compromise on sound even more.
HD 599 on the other hand has very good reviews (also is the most expensive out of the bunch).

1 Like

Audio Technica phones are great, but it’s usually the higher priced models. I saw one or two budget Audio Technicas here, they are around 70 euros, so I don’t think he will be getting them at the same value as other headphone that he has available to him rn.

The Beyers are good, but only if they are a match for you. I cannot stress enough that you must listen to Beyers before buying them.

I’d say same for AKG’s. Plus, the seller is not selling a new pair. It comes to question when the headphone was bought, how long it has been used, etc.

Sennheisers are basically one of the best open-back headphones, one of the best headphones to experience what an open back sounds like. The HD6XX is amazing… but what can OP do, they aren’t convenient for him to get. He can get the HD598 for 120 euros, which is an alright deal. I think if he can drop the price to 80-90 euros, they are a good buy. I bought mine new when they were on a discount for 120 euros, so to sell a used pair for 120 euros, that’s pretty ehhh. He can also find the HD650 for 200 euros, now that… a hard deal to beat.
The HD 650 that the seller is selling have been bought in 2013… which is 7 years since the purchase. They must’ve been used, and his vague description about usage is kind of suspicious.

IDK.

I have put some thought into it and have narrowed down my options to two phones

option 1: AKG 712 pro for 135 euro

option 2: sennheiser 650 HD for 200 euro

I have some music above i like:
for base i like it to be slightly above neutral (above average )
and the base comes second to the melody of the song
What do you guys think I should do also is there anyone who has both phones who can compare the two and if so how do they differ.

1 Like

NWM the sennies just sold. so its down to one ? thots ?

2 Likes

For DnB in particular, I would not pick the K712. For the rest, they should do nicely.

Take the AKG K-712.
They benefit from a good amp, your Scarlett Solo will get you buy until that happens.

I would get the used Beyer 990 (250 ohms) and put the savings toward an amp which you really need because the one included in bus-powered interfaces at that level are boo-boo. Specifically what you’ll find is that as you turn up the volume, the sound will seem washed-out and harsh. Bass frequencies will fade and your music will lose that “bounce” and be less visceral.

Oh and by the way I listened to some of your music and you definitely definitely want a v-shaped sound, contrary to what was said above. It will give you that elevated bass and elevated treble to really maximize the music you like, according to the videos you listed.

My two cents.

1 Like

He said he doesn’t want boom. He has a speaker system for that.