Help Choosing a pair of headphones

That will be my next purchase then. You mentioned to be careful with the 600 ohm version, and I remember Z had said his THX or something wasn’t able to power them without distorting. Will the Heresy be able to drive them properly? or would the better bet be to get the 250 ohm version?

The heresy is just fine… while yes it does take quite some power to push the 600 ohm its not something as ridiculous as needing a speaker amp. All the entry levels can drive the 600 ohm beyers just fine, however the issue is just that the scaling and synergy that comes from the 600 ohm beyer is ridiculous… you gain quite a bit from upgrading the amp and dac later past the entry point such as to something like an asgard 3 or something in the upper price brackets of sorts

From what I head the Magni 3+ is actually supposed to pair a bit better with the beyers becuase it is a touch less aggressive or harsh tho while it has the same power.

Well then! Can’t wait to actually experience my Sundaras when the Asgard arrives.
The potential scaling of the DT 990 actually makes me wanna rebuy them… I do miss them sometimes.

So I just got my HD6XX last night. I got home from work and immediately started messing with them. I have the full Schiit stack now as well. Listening to them the first time, I was… unimpressed. Don’t get me wrong, they sound good, and I will definitely be keeping them, but definitely not what I was expecting.

I burned them in for about 6-7 hours with some pink noise and can hear a bit of improvement in the sound (to my ears) now but my thoughts are that I don’t like the small soundstage or intimate feeling. To me, it just sounds like the music lacks depth and I can’t really pinpoint what’s going on where. I have to admit, the vocals do sound like they’re inside my head though which is actually pretty nice, but everything else feels a bit jumbled when there’s a lot going on. I played a few games of Modern Warfare and was actually really impressed with the imaging. From what I recall, the imaging is way better than the 400i 2020s that I was using previosly.

Overall I think these are good headphones and some music just sounds amazing when there isn’t too much going on (at least to my ears). Instrumental music similar to the Naruto soundtrack where there is a bunch of wind and percussion instruments just sounds ethereal and as if I’m being cradled by the notes as they pass by my head. Guitar solos sound really great too. Really great and you can’t go wrong with them, But they aren’t really to my preference. Maybe over time, once my ears burn-in and the earpads get a little worn, I will start to prefer them you never know.

I think I will probably pick up the dt990 editions at some point just to have a “different” headphone. Thanks again to everyone that has helped me with a bunch of good information so far.