Help deciding on a dac+amp

This isn’t really true imo

Besides the connections, I 100% believe it’s true. We can have this debate now if you would like or we can agree to disagree.

What dacs have you heard before? Although I would prefer to not hijack the thread

how would it compare then, e30 + spark vs d50s or dx3 pro v2?

e30+ spark would be a warmer combo, more weighty with a bit more smooth sound overall, slightly wider

The dx3 pro v2 is going to be brighter, more analytical, a bit more harsh potentially

i don’t like too bright sound. and compared to d50s?
i don’t think there is that much of a sound quality difference between these 3 combo am i wrong? it’s just about sound signature difference?

i also see AUNE X1S PRO on audiophonics

oh i didn’t see d50s is just a dac

It’s decent, but watch out for the higher output impedance it has, although the headphones you plan to use wouldn’t really be affected by that

Anecdotal evidence isn’t very convincing, especially since most people have never done a proper double-blind test. I have also read plenty of objective studies on DACs and amps that show when properly designed, there to be no distinguishable difference.

Regardless, I will play this game if you want:

D10, Modi, Bifrost multibit, ADI-2 and El Dac. I would never be able to pass a blind test on any of them and I would bet my mortgage that no one here could either. Please don’t tell me I need to spend thousands on a DAC to hear a difference, either. I will just stop participating in this conversation at that point because I an assure you it will be a waste of time for both of us.

Doing a double blind test for audio is flawed in itself, but I won’t get into that either

All of these solid state amps are going to sound the same as long as you don’t have an output impedance match. None of them are going to give you a wider soundstage and you will never be able to tell a difference in sound in a proper ABX testt. If you measured them on a rig, the frequency response would be the exact same.

If you don’t plan on upgrading to some seriously hard-to-drive 600ohm headphones, the DX3 pro is one of the absolute best values that can be found.

Sure, but the point is to remove as many biases as possible. Sight bias is a real thing and small db differences in volume level are very noticeable and will insert a listening bias.

Hell, the owner of Schiit even admitted himself that he can’t tell the difference between his own amps.

Aren’t you placing your own bias with this opinion?

Also, how does this help the OP again?

1 Like

We are talking about listening biases, not my opinion.

We are trying to help the OP make an informed decision.

so dac doesn’t influence that much, but amp does. i don’t like bright amps so spark will be better for me than dx3 pro v2?

Both of those amps will sound the same. As long as there is enough power and the output impedance matches correctly, all solid state amps will sound identical.

i’m annoyed by all this i’ll wait for spark even if it takes 1 month, i will be able to upgrade what i want afterwards like that. i don’t need bluetooth

This is obviously not true for onboard dac (motherboard), is it?

idealy i would have bought MONOLITH THX AAA-788 but i don’t have the money

Just depends if there is noise from the system or not.

If you want to go down a good rabbit hole on this subject, here you go: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/serious-question-how-do-you-deal-with-people-thinking-a-dac-has-a-sound-signature.9245/