Help me end my Hi-fi hell

Polar opposites for the most part since thats bright vs more dark. They compliment each other well, i own both so i can speak on that. I do highly encourage upgrading your source gear though… power is one thing, synergy distortion and sound quality is the other and higher end headphones like t1.2 sound like shit when using lower amps and dacs.

As for arya… if you like bass id pass on that (cant speak on newer variation like stealth) and clear mg is gorgeous but your ears may touch the driver also they are very heavily in the mids and dynamics… if you love mids and a good balance try the mg

Damn, I didn’t think the Element III was on the lower end of amps and DACs.

Lower end? No. More entry mid fi. Its not bad its more along the headphones in consideration are more picky/demanding.

God damn, Finally auditioned them both today and what a ride. The Arya and MG both have such good qualities that completely differ from each other. I was leaning towards the Arya purely for the soundstage and that silky planar bass, but my god the build and earpad comfort is horrible next to a focal. So I found myself picking up the MG and enjoying that slam alot more.

I’ve got a hard decision to make.

@Falenkor so do you think I should be looking at headphones around the same cost as the element III?

3 Likes

eh not particularly, though if your enjoying the MG you may enjoy the Elex just as much if you can get your hands on one, I mention this since it gets you like atleast 90% of the way to the Clears for much cheaper granted MG is particular in that it has more bass tones than the OG clear.

I would say if you find a higher up headphone you enjoy just consider upgrading your setup later on and use what you enjoy, the element there will power most of the stuff well enough it just won’t do the best job for sound qualities. Generally from my experience if were talking of going 1k+ headphones like the focals and the like… id say around $400 per unit amp and dac($800 together) at that point past that no point(this is gaming were talking about not so much in terms of music… definitely more reason to go higher amps and dacs for music) less you start collecting multiple sets of cans.

hmm, you may like the argons then as well if your looking for stage and bass… least with those you can customize its comfort by a lot they just take forever to get and if looking for a more dynamic fun headphone maybe the harmonicdyne zeus as well granted thats more V shape

pretty much a cut above sennheisers imo due to several factors… I think my largest gripe with them is the pad cost… once they wear out its $200 for another set of replacement pads

I really wanted a pair of Elex, but the high chance of driver failure mixed with a huge cost in international warranties is just too dangerous. I would love to go an Focal and something else for the soundstage. I can’t get the T1’s out my head, I loved their comfort.

This is the part of the hobby that is so interesting as well. Everyones idea of what is comfortable is purely subjective (for the most part). I actually love the fit of the Arya but then I enjoy the egg shape cups. I also enjoy the Focal too admittingly. Head shape plays a huge role in this part.

1 Like

Agreed on this point; I find the Arya to be very comfy, although I will agree that the build feels lacking given the price. I have no worries about long-term durability given that I baby them, but still. I have no experience with any of Focal’s cans, so I can’t speak on those.

I should add that the fit it’s self was comfortable, the earpad’s felt so cheap with the microfibre. The earcup adjustments were very loose but that could be just the display unit.

1 Like

While I never found the stock pads uncomfortable, I got a pair of custom pads from @NtraXMod and never looked back. Comfort, sound, build quality…just great all-around pads. I would chalk the adjustment being loose to it being a demo unit, too; I got my pair of V2’s second-hand and they’re still tight all round.

1 Like

I definitely find the V3 pads to be very nice and comfy.

I know what you mean about the build seeming a bit under-par compared to other HP’s that are less expensive. I guess that is also my point with the lackluster accessory package of the Arya’s as well. No case…just some kind of velour fit box. Over time I have gotten more appreciative of them though and looking at the build it is pretty solid. That and the sound is so damn nice.

Then you have the Focal. My MG Pro’s were solid builds. However, they did have a “creak” to them when taking them on/off my head. That always slightly annoyed me and saw other’s experienced the same. My Radiance don’t have that creak as of yet.

1 Like

Don’t even get me started about Arya’s cable. Vomit

So I’m a busy guy in life but the last few day’s I have not stopped thinking about this choice, I have a bad case of upgraditis with all things tech. Just ask my wife while she looks at my $10k PC setup and cinema setup. I think i’ve come to a decision based on what @Falenkor said. I’m not prepared to upgrade my source gear any further, I truely love my Element III and I considered it my endgame. So I’m going to downgrade my expectations a little and go for the sub $1000 hell of mid-fi.

Im going to go trial an Edition XS/LCD-2 for a Planar, Then im going to buy the original Clear Pro for about $500 USD. That should give me a good mix of what I want. I really convinced my self towards those beautiful Chestnut gold MG’s but I think it’s for the better. The resell value for that range is horrible in Aus.

I want to throw aeon in there if possible as its one of my jack of all trades planar

The og has tones that sound a bit metallic and it isnt as warm as the new mg. Other than that they are damn good.

Id just say to think of it as a future investment later for upgrade if you want a little more out of your cans. Otherwise stick to what you enjoy

So I backflipped and bought a new Clear MG for about $1100 USD. I have no self control… Getting them today, but I’m already thinking of my next to pair it with for better sound stage.

@falenkor What would be a better compliment, The Edition XS or the Beyer T1.2? I can get them both around the same price new.

Different strokes of headphone. Less you have a tube amp for that t1 id probably say the xs has more differences