šŸ”¶ HiFiMan Sundara

ive actually heard the 3+ described as a ā€œmini asgard 3ā€ lol ive personally only heard the heresy which is where my opinion on power comes into play but the heresy was not a good pairing imo in terms of sound sig

look forward to your thoughtsā€¦ should be pretty sweet

2 Likes

Stop trying to make me get a magni! Lol

1 Like

you have its big brother the a3! I literally donā€™t see a single reason for you to buy a 3+ (does the help? lol)

1 Like

Lol yea I was just being silly

1 Like

My replacement DT 770s (250) came today, and Iā€™ve been running some comparisons with the Sundara.

Itā€™s interesting, not very easy to describe.
While they both sound great, itā€™s like the Sundara have a little moreā€¦ soul.

I guess the 770 treble makes them sound slightly more clinical? Theyā€™re also brand new, might matter.

Anyway, itā€™s not a ā€œone or the otherā€ comparison,
I need closed-backs when Iā€™m working, my laptop sounds like an airplane :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One week later, Iā€™ve been enjoying these.

The headband and pads have softened a bit and are now slightly more comfortable.
Iā€™m probably also just getting used to them.

I made a cable for them that lets me run them balanced on the BTR5.
The extra power is useful when listening to piano pieces or some TV shows:

Besides music, I also find they are really nice to watch TV shows and movies with.
Iā€™ve paired the BTR5 with the TV. Sound is really enjoyable.

If I had to nitpick, Iā€™d say that the Beyer headband is still more comfortable than this one.
Also, putting the headphones on or getting them off will sometimes make weird sounds.
I donā€™t mind, but worth mentioning.

4 Likes

Hey guys. I just bought a pair of these. Dude I got it from said the original pads were $#!tty and replaced them with a pair of Brainwavz. I think he got the ones that looked similar to the original pads [hybrid, maybe?]. Does anyone have any experience with these pads? I am unsure how they could affect the sound. Should I order a pair of Pali pads to replace the Brainwavz? I also have am extra pair of ZMF sheepskin pads that might fit as well. I am stoked about these, as I think it would compliment my current line up. Thanks!

The original pads are pretty great, but they are a little uncomfortable in the beginning. Give them a chance!

Sorry. Just to clarify, they will not have to original bads, just the Brainwavz at first.

Ah. My bad!

The Pali pads and the Perforated Hybrid Auteur pads are good choices. Both offer that airy sound signature but the ZMF pads are bigger, plushier, more comfortable, etcā€¦

I wouldnā€™t recommend picking ZMF pads as they are typically have much smaller hole than it is needed for Sundaraā€™s large driver. I am using Dekoni hybrid pads for he-400 series, as the stock pads gone to ashes, and kinda regret getting them. They are comfortable and all, but they are thicker then the stock ones and I really enjoy sound from having Sundaraā€™s drivers as close to the ear canal as possible. Basically, I enjoy both more intimate sound and Sundaraā€™s own sound signature.

1 Like

The Auteur pads actually have a taller inner cavity and the same inner width as the Pali pads, but I agree with you that the stock pads are closer to the driver, two millimeters closer, and that can have large effects on the soundstage. From what I remember, the Auteur pads do make the sound further away than stock. Airiness is about the same if maybe more on the Perforated Hybrid Auteurs. I personally prefer the Pali pads (the newest ones) more bass and allā€¦ but EQ can fix that either way.

Hell yeah, Pali pads are the best, but they donā€™t live for long, unfortunately. Pali pads were my stock pads, actually. Both when I first got Sundaras 1,5 years ago(got them directly from Aliexpress Hifiman official store) and after a warranty repair 6 month later(metal lane on membrane cracked somehow).

I recommend never removing them from the headphone and, most importantly, NEVER trying to clean the mesh under the pads themselves, at least not with finger. They immediately unglue from the inside and there is no way to repair them, or even tuck the perforated plether back inside.

2 Likes

Hmm, Auteurā€™s pads are big indeed. And the thickness, judging by the photos, is somewhere the same as the Dekoni padsā€™. But the holeā€™s shape is oval, thatā€™s the other thing I considered. Dunno if it affects the sound in any way, so went with the circle hole, like on the Pali pads, to be sureā€¦ Well, instead now I know that a couple of millimeters of thickness affect the sound in a pretty big way :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So, does hifiman sell Sundara replacement pads yet?

The Pali Pads at Hifiman are what come with the Sundaras

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Oh, ok thanks.

Just got these and I am really impressed! They came without the Pali pads [I might get some replacements.] They came with Brainwavz Hybrid pads, which are decent. I canā€™t help but wonder how much better they could sound with Pali pads based with the on all the folks saying they liked the 2020 revision with the newer Pali pads [seemingly better bass response]. I had a 400i and thought it was pretty good, but this is much better. Makes me scared though. I now really want to hear the Ananda and Aryaā€¦ Overall, bad @$$ headphone for $350 new. I have heard it could be picky with source selection, so I will mention I am using a Schiit Gumby [A2] > Liquid Platinum. Thumbs Up!

3 Likes