đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Sundara

Yes.

2 Likes

Oh, ok thanks.

Just got these and I am really impressed! They came without the Pali pads [I might get some replacements.] They came with Brainwavz Hybrid pads, which are decent. I can’t help but wonder how much better they could sound with Pali pads based with the on all the folks saying they liked the 2020 revision with the newer Pali pads [seemingly better bass response]. I had a 400i and thought it was pretty good, but this is much better. Makes me scared though. I now really want to hear the Ananda and Arya
 Overall, bad @$$ headphone for $350 new. I have heard it could be picky with source selection, so I will mention I am using a Schiit Gumby [A2] > Liquid Platinum. Thumbs Up!

3 Likes

And as mentioned a few posts ago, I do have a pair of ZMF Lambskin that might work, but they have a smaller oval ear opening and I would have to damage the inside flap by allowing the inner circle of the HiFiMAN ear pad ring to go through the flap to attach to the cups. Leaning towards getting replacement Pali pads.

1 Like

Gumby + A90 + Sundara = :fire: .

Artist: Infected Mushroom :mushroom:
Album: Classical Mushroom :mushroom:
Track: “Disco Mushroom” :mushroom:

5 Likes

Ugh, my equalized Sundara is now ruining every other headphone I own, lol.

Seriously, it’s ridiculous. It’s beating my Focal Elex in many areas except for punch and dynamics! And now my HD58X and HD600 sound closed in and compressed in direct comparison.
However, I do find the stock tuning to be a bit bright, but using some EQ, it’s basically perfect. Perhaps I like planars more than dynamics? I will say I didn’t like the HE400i or 4XX this much, and I have yet to try an Audeze.

I just had to make a custom cable for it too.

6 Likes

@DivineCurrent Love my Sundara, but thinking of a bit of eq too. What do you use? I am looking at a Loki as a possibility.

2 Likes

I mostly use Equalizer APO and sometimes the RME ADI-2 DAC settings. Here are my current EQ settings I think sounds the most neutral:

Preamp: -3.5 dB
Filter: ON LSC Fc 100 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 4100 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 5800 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 7000 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 4.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 11000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 13000 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 5
Filter: ON HSC Fc 14000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1

Loki looks pretty cool, but you can’t do precise settings like in EQ APO. You can adjust the sub bass and lower the treble though, so it is an interesting option.

3 Likes

Loki is Awesome! I always add a chunk of bass, a touch of mids and maybe cut back some treble. And even if you max a setting, it will not distort. Great little unit.

2 Likes

@DivineCurrent Thanks for the info.

@ShaneD Yes, you have mentioned that before. Since I currently am stuck w. a chromebook and don’t have Windows, I am looking closely at the Loki to go with my e30 >Atom>Sundara. Thanks.

It’s funny that I never used EQ’s my whole life until I met this little fella and now I can’t shut up about it. :laughing:

2 Likes

interesting tip concerning the LOKI. I’d never considered it. I’ve been listening to my Sundaras now plugged into a Lake People G109 and pre-amped with a Feliks Espressivo Tube Amp. I find it thickens the sound somewhat if that makes sense. I wonder if I can stick the Loki into the chain. If I can’t find it here in Europe maybe there’s another option, does anyone have any suggestions for a Loki competitor?

I have never EQ’d my Sundara’s or my Elex’s. I basically just use it for my tube amp and my electrostatic system. Might be overkill on the Violectric, but might be fun. :laughing:

Only works in an SE chain, AFAIK.

why might it be overkill? Does the Violectric have an equalising option integrated or something?

No, but it has good solid bass, just on its own. It even gives my Grado’s a solid bass line and that is no small feat. :grin:

1 Like

that is impressive indeed.

1 Like

Anyone manage to paint these yet?

i really hate the analytical sound of 4XX and too much treble for me,is SUNDARA any different? coming from hd 650

@JEFF_JEFF I have both.The Sundara is more detailed and I love mine, however it is also a brighter headphone. I recently added an e30 dac, which takes off a bit of that edge for both of them and makes them even more enjoyable. While the Sundara is a great hp, with a good soundstage and accurate timbre, you may prefer something with a warmer signature.

2 Likes