High end all rounder

So around 1500 mark which headphone is like an all rounder for almost all music genres? Genres I am mainly concerned for are rock, metal, jazz, country, acoustic, soundtracks, classical and pop
Headphones I have seen for this price are focal clear, hifiman arya, zmf auteur, hd800s
Also what amp would you recommend with it

I’d say the LCD2 is a good all rounder.

1 Like

The big hitters will be the LCD 2 / focal elex / Aeolus / Auteur / Arya

If you’re willing to EQ you can get so much out of the LCD 2 if you don’t want to EQ then get an Aeolus.

If you want it all get the Auetur. There’s something about it. It really just does everything. Planar flat bass [even though it’s a dynamic] mid range magic that ZMF is known for, the air and resolution in the highs is only matched by the Arya on this list. And pairs so well with a tube. I can’t highlight that in particular enough, it’s like having a 6XX on a tube for the first time. If you’re deciding between this and the Aeolus, the Aeolus is more aggressive whereas the Auetur is more laid back and sub bass rumblier due to its biocellulose driver.

The HD800s… While having technical brilliance… I wouldn’t recommend… The treble really isn’t for me… Its wide but that’s the main party trick.

The Elex is such a big hitter for its price expecially now with black Friday discounts so really good choice. All round amazing air, low end and mids definitely have that mid range magic. The build is good but does utilise probably the most plastic out of all of these The clear is good but I feel all it really has is more dynamics probably making it the most dynamic headphone ever. But for the price I don’t know personally if that’s worth it. Elex is my pick out of the two.

The Arya not only technically brilliant but sounds incredible. To me feels like it redefines the big planar sound.

For the Arya a Xduoo TA-30 is an incredible pairing. Hybrid power and HUGE tube silky sound.

For everything else big fat tubes. Go thicc. Go euphoria sounding. Dark voice [with swapped tubes (CV181 specially ill link it) ] Tor Rodger balanced stock tubes are great and big tordial transformers.
Willsenton R8 [Get the KT88 tubes and the PSVANE upgrade on the preamp tubes]

1 Like

@WaveTheory just posted an excellent review of the ZMF Eikons. Definitely worth checking out.

đź”· ZMF Eikon

3 Likes