Higher End Solid-State Amp Upgrade

Yes

The v281 makes a lot of sense, as does the xi broadway then imo. I think going with a 281/280 with a soekris 2541 would be a fairly neutral stack with really nice width and space, and lots of impact while being fairly technical. The 2541 has really good synergy with the vio, but I can’t speak to how it would be on a pendant since I haven’t tried that exact pairup. Trying to extrapolate my experiences of the 1541 on the pendant and also how the 2541 differs, it could be a good option although slightly lean sounding with the pendant. With the broadway, you could upgrade to the holo cyan and that’s also good for the pendant imo. Another potential option could be the bryston bda-2 (used) as that pairs well with both amps and the pendant. At least trying to keep the dac budget around 1k

I think if you went with a vio + soekris, a gsx + holo (although this combo might be slightly lacking slam in the bass but still possibly up your alley), or the broadway + bryston (or holo) then you could reasonably accomplish those goals with good synergy with your headphones (at a reasonable price)

I guess it could be, but personally I’d go with separates though and get more performance and flexibility

1 Like

@M0N Thanks for the thorough reply! I appreciate the time and it’s giving me a lot to think about here. Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but sounds like the V281/V280 or the GSX Mini are my best options here based on what I have on hand and with what and what I’m planning to get. A few last questions for you:

• What’s the main difference between the V281 and the V280? Also, how does one come by the 281 these days? I’ve seen the 280 available but not the 281.
  • if I went the GSX Mini route, would the BF2 play okay with it until I upgraded my DAC? I noticed in your initial post it’s the only pairing you didn’t knock for it’s synergy, or lack thereof, with the BF2.
  • Last, you mentioned the Holo Cyan. Do you think that’s a better fit than their Spring line of DACs?

Keeping an eye on this response. I’ve got a Cyan and I enjoy it, currently paired with a Liquid Platinum but eventually I’d like to move up to a solid next step beyond the LP.

As far as the Holo Cyan goes it’s a pretty resolving unit, with good detail and slam but with an overall neutrality that really really just gets out of the way. It’s not nearly as resolving as my only other high end DAC a Lampi Amber 3, but that’s not a fair comparison either.

The Cyan also makes for a very competent desktop preamp. And the infamous remote volume does work… unlike the other Holo DAC models. lol

2 Likes

Link to something to power the Hifiman https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/civil-aerospace/airlines/trent-7000.aspx#/

281 is the same sig as the 280 but further beefed up, a bit higher quality power, more power, and more io

Technically both are discontinued but the 280 is still being sold due to popular demand at the moment. You would have to look used to find a 281

Yes

The bf2 calms it down a bit, and didn’t go overboard, so I don’t mind that pairing imo, but I would go higher to take advantage of the mini

I mean if you can get a spring 2 that would be sweet, I just didn’t mention it since I figured out of budget. I will say though that on the spring, the single ended outs are somewhat gimped so for example with the pendant you would be missing out on performance without an input transformer box

1 Like

Hey @M0N I’m thinking of selling my Bryston and RME ADI-2 DAC and going to something like the new Violetric V590 combo. What are your thoughts on that? Would that be a decent upgrade or not worth it? Thanks.

Depends on what you are after, the v590 is a much more neutral amp, a step forward technicality wise as well perhaps outside of timbre. Generally though the dac in the v590 is somewhat weak, I would really get a nicer more appropriate dac for it later on but for the time being the internal dac would be passable. Still the th900 iirc?

Hey, thanks for your reply. Well, I suppose I’m looking for a powerful, fairly neutral sounding amp. Nothing that changes the sound too drastically. But, I do really value powerful and controlled high-quality bass. Yes, I’m mainly using the Fostex TH-900 and TH-600. But looking to sell most of my headphones and move towards a Final D8000 and/or Abyss AB-1266 TC…