How to listen to FLAC

I think there is foobar for mac and it should work similarity

but is foobar good? I mean it’s just a media player isn’t it? just with high customization

It’s free, it’s got tons of customization options, can play almost anything with plugins, great device support, and has lots of advanced features or can be simple depending on what you prefer. I use it for Windows, but perhaps someone else might prefer another player for mac

good luck finding an audio file that foobar WON’T play lol

4 Likes

I have some that the foobar android app won’t play lol. I don’t know why, but it won’t. Most everything else is fine though.

1 Like

The Android app isn’t the greatest imo, but it is still good, foobar is a fair bit better on a computer imo

2 Likes

not to forget the driver implementation(Asio/Wasabi Event) in foobar 2000
this is maybe the selling point lots of people don’t make up their minds in the beginning and wonder why the DAC does not change from 16/44 to 24/96 with different source material for example

Yes the mobile app is not the best but you can use it as remote for the pc :wink:

so generally it doesn’t matter what I use to listen to my music? I downloaded for example Mountains by Hans Zimmer. It says in the file that it is 599kbps and it is 44.100kHz
I am assuming that is around good quality? it was from a sketchy site but it sounds like the numbers add up well (correct me if I’m wrong)

If it’s from a sketchy site, it could just be an MP3 or other lossy file repackaged into a lossless format or other stuff could have been done to it. Assuming it is a legitimate file, it would seem to be a CD quality flac, and that would be pretty good

Regarding listening to the audio through a player, just make sure it can play the formats you like and run without any problems, and also is an interface you like as well

3 Likes

Lots of the “illegitimate sources” will include a log file from the compression software that will give you source, but depth, etc.

The most ridiculous thing I ever saw on one of those sites was a DeadMau5 album ripped to FLAC from vinyl.. Some idiot took an electronic album that was recorded in digital, bought a record, then ripped it back from analog to a digital format and put it on the internet. :roll_eyes:

Those can be faked very easy and not many people validate them anyway

Also that’s pretty common lol

1 Like

I mean, the mastering has to be different for vinyl, so it could be interesting to hear the differences between the original digital file and the vinyl rip.

Otherwise… maybe some fringe techno fans like their electronic music with a bit of vinyl pops in there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Both lol, that’s the main reason for vinyl rips imo. I have a couple of vinyl rips off of my friends overkill setup because the mastering on the vinyl was a fair bit better (he also had a specific pressing that was pretty good)

Mastering on vinyl is usually better than their digital counterpart (really depends on who’s mastering it) because of the physical limitations.
There are only so many groves you can put on vinyl before there is just not enough space.

Did you mean to have those statements reversed? If not can you further elaborate?

A “Loudness war” CD straight to vinyl would just cut holes in it and render it useless. :slight_smile:

I understand that (also whether it would cut holes depends on how you lathe it), but I would say mastering on digital formats is usually better these days. I would agree because the album I was referencing on cd sounded pretty dang bad, and the vinyl was much better. But now it’s not the case anymore

I still like the fact vinyls are idiotproof, lol. No loudness war allowed!

But that does also limit your genre of music as well, so that’s something to take into account. And you can have a blown out or brick walled vinyl, it just would be lowered in volume first, but the issues that come from being brickwalled would still be there. It all depends on the mastering

yeah I’ve also heard that, since converting from analog (vinyl) to digital (CD) would cause a lot of problems like Dechaine said about holes in the mastering