I am stranded figuring out a 600$-700$ setup

I like to use jazz for timbre and not to focus on any specific areas. Jazz is one of the more entertaining genres if you want to listen to how natural drums and brass are reproduced

3 Likes

In this price range and a 60/40 split on use cases, does it make more sense to get 2 headphones? A DT880 for gaming, maybe a Sundara for music, and then the Heresy for an amp, dac later. That’s ~650USD. I don’t know what the cost in Euro would be.

3 Likes

I think the objection was just around the breadth of material that’s called Jazz.
Bill Frizell is very different to say Louis Armstrong, but both are technically Jazz.
It’s like using Classical, when most people mean orchestral, it covers Segovia through Tocata and Fugue.

1 Like

That’s not a bad idea, I agree with the 880 600 for gaming

1 Like

Aye the best rec there :+1:

1 Like

Might be a good idea but I read in multiple places that HiFiMan has some quality control issues; is it true?

1 Like

OMG @pinco you’ve started an audiophiles jazz discussion…this won’t end well :joy:

1 Like

Fuck, fuck, fuck, go back

i love it tho

2 Likes

The sundara really doesn’t have QC issues with the newest batches, the sundara has been fairly good in regards to QC from my experiences. Hifiman has gotten better over the years for QC, and also do have fairly good customer services at least in the US.

The sundara is a pretty dang nice headphone for the price, would preform very well

4 Likes

I have a new batch sundara and it’s pretty fantastic and I’ve had no issues… it’s a really nice headphone

Very versatile with genres too

1 Like

The DT880-600 is easily the best gaming headphone <$200. It’s only downer is the attached cable and then figuring out a mic situation if you need one. The Sundara came to mind as a well regarded $350 headphone. I have heard of the QC issues too, but also have heard what @M0N said regarding the improvement with the silent revision they did on the Sundara.

2 Likes

Hifiman doesn’t have as tight as qc as some other companies, but it’s still relatively good on their new products imo. Their older stuff or their SE modes like the he5se have horrible qc, so avoid those, but the sundara, ananda, arya, etc have been relatively good qc wise

1 Like

Well this might just be what I’m looking for then, I’ll definitely do some research.

How about the signature, does it have a solid low range?

1 Like

The sundara is a fairly neutral headphone, not the heaviest low end hitter in the range, but the bass extends very deep with good layering and definition, it is enjoyable for sure. The newer revision changed the pads and gave it better extension and a bit of a bass bump which it kinda needed imo. It’s pretty good for separation, airiness, detail, and can recreate space fairly well. Works well for most stuff tbh, great all rounder

2 Likes

DT177x are they still available?

1 Like

Apparently hard to get in the EU from what I hear, so I didn’t mention it (like the elex lol)

2 Likes

What m0n said ^^

I think the bass is pretty satisfying and wont scramble your brain :+1:

2 Likes

Also highs and mids are really smooth and fast and it does jazz justice

1 Like

You all have definitely been helpful, thank you very much you great bunch.
I’ll probably come back when I have everything to give you an update.

Cheers :smiley:

3 Likes

Curious to see what you end up and your thoughts on it, should be pretty nice :+1:

1 Like