🔶 iBasso SR2

Holy crap! I’m eager to see how they look on the inside, behind the covers.

p.s. those are some sexy ass legs :wink:

You are a brave man!

1 Like

Here it is

Look at the speaker and you will notice it’s a regular speaker and not the headphone type.

Yes headphone drivers are but they smash it all together to fit. Suspension is real one. Basically driver has long throw and surround to deliver big bass but like normal approach you need bass control for more. The basket is the entire baffle so I could add some dampening if it helps in reducing any resonance. The housing is perfect. This company could take Hifiman as they show real smarts where Hifiman is good with a glue gun.

2 Likes

I’d say dullness comes from the surround over dampening the cone. I noticed this effect on my JL Audio aluminum tweeters with a rubber surround wich killed sparkle.

EDM is great but some other genres not pushing high energy is problem.

I’m confused, what does this exactly mean?

@voja I’m assuming he’s talking about this style of speaker as the “headphone type”. And this as the “classic speaker type”.

Both styles I have experience with (owned both the Apos Caspians and Emu Teaks). To my ear, both headphones had equally strong punch in the bass. A characteristic that suspension dynamic drivers are known for because of Foster. But the Kennerton “headphone type” driver gives the Foster driver a run for its money.

1 Like

Thank you!!

I also found the plastic perforated part on top of the driver quite unusual. It reminds me of the Sony MDR-R10

2 Likes

I think Audio Technica uses a similar grill with their drivers as well.

1 Like

Damn, they really do! Interesting stuff. But iBasso went a step further and custom-designed it. It must’ve taken a lot of trial & error.

it’s a fantastic headphone, i’m completely smitten with mine. Thanks Voja for the recommendation

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you for trusting me! Nothing makes me happier than hearing someone’s expectations were met after following my recommendation(s). All my recommendations are my very own and are honest.

1 Like

Yes I’m talking about how the driver basket with magnet resembles a more traditional speaker. Normal headphone speakers look compressed pushing the cone and magnet together.
iBasso driver has a long throw yoke which is the space the coil travels in. Subs use long throw for reaching higher spl. Look at big car audio subs for clear picture to what I am speaking of. Here’s one

Fi Audio is my favorite car subs

1 Like

My custom Snorry headphones use driver in cd3000 which looks like mdr one in your pic

Oh okay, so I understood you. This is what I initially thought.
iBasso has quite a few interesting things going on behind the covers :thinking:

1 Like

Add another picture of different pads I’m using. They are wide and soft. I do not know who made them or if it came with another headphone stock. It’s same lip on the back and are perfect size fit.

3 Likes

How do they sound?

1 Like

I like them more opened fully and pads increase distance. The large perforations do increase subbass with a bigger soundstage. There is still a dark area as with stock configuration. I believe the plastic directly above the center of the cone must cause this. The plastic may create the soundstage by diffusion of direct sound. To fight this my Lokius fixes without making the stage fall.

My other headphone is Edition XS and it is different presentations.

I like what I’m using over what I had before.

I did have many like 1266 TC but I listen to EDM mainly Dubstep so those summit Fi headphones are not perfect enough for the price.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am selling my iBasso SR2 which has not been used or burned in. The original packaging, headphone case and accessories are all present in the box.

The SR2 has never been used as I am listening to desktop gear with speakers now. Hence I am selling the SR2 for $350.

Please contact me if you have any questions about the SR2 or need more pictures of the headphone and included accessories.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I had some breakage with my SR2’s. I got my new headband today, which I had to buy. Here is my update of my SR2 experience:

So a couple of weeks later here is my update:
I got my headband today. It took a while to peel off the pads and change cups. I always find putting these pads back on a PITA.
Anyway, the headphones seem to be back in business. I sent pic’s of the hardware and my receipts to Shenzhen Audio. A few hours later they PayPal’d me the full amount, which was $60.00 for the headband and $10.00 shipping.

I have to say that I was pretty nervous about setting these headphones up knowing how fragile everything is. But I pulled out my T5 torx wrench and set them up perfectly. Lots of trial and error and I was very careful to just tighten everything finger tight.

I just got a new cable for my Bee planar’s and this headband today. Tomorrow they will both be fighting for ear time. :grin:

I was thinking hard about selling these, but I am SO tired of selling stuff at a loss. And I do like the sound.

My final thoughts on the SR2’s are two fold:

1. They have a great sound and fill a niche in my collection nicely.

And

1. I would never recommend these headphones to anyone. The headband is cheap and flimsy. They are the opposite of sturdy.
    And you should NEVER have to buy special tools just to adjust a headband. I am an old guy who sold most of his tools when we went back to apartment living. This is the ONLY time I have needed torx wrenches since I closed my business, eleven years ago.
1 Like

I had the same problem, but was able to solve it with a simple Bayerdynamic headband pad, which fitted my head perfectly.
However, if you have a smaller, narrower head, you might not be satisfied with this option.

The sound of these headphones, however, is worth the effort.

1 Like