đŸ”¶ iBasso SR2

Congratz, you beat my own LZ A7 as the longest review I have ever seen. 8809 words according to microsoft word!

(you should have gone for over 9000 lol.)

2 Likes

Well, what can I say
 I didn’t count the words, didn’t write it with the intention of length, it just so happened to be detailed. I just enjoyed these so much that I had the need to carefully explain why I like them, I didn’t want somebody telling me that I am hyping them up - so a lot of explanation was needed (imo)

I believe it is around 9,500 words long

3 Likes

1 Like

I tried to get a full list of distributors that have the SR2, however, was unsuccessful. Basically, if you want to check where you can get the SR2, I would recommend that you contact one of the distributors in your area/near you, and then call them and ask if they have the SR2.

You can check iBasso’s distributors on their official website:

Very little talk about these, @voja can you compare them to the Sivga Phoenix?
The SR2 might be my longterm goal for when I’m able to make money again lol.

1 Like

Indeed, very little attention has been paid to these
 which still makes absolutely no sense to me.

I am a bit exhausted today, so I will not be able to bring out the Phoenix and the SR2 to compare them back to back. From memory, the Phoenix wasn’t anywhere near the listening experience that was present in the SR2. Just to put in perspective how much I like the SR2: I consider it a TOTL even though it is “only” ~500 bucks. Yup, I said it. I truly feel settled with the SR2, I don’t have that need and tendency to go after something above
 but I am not putting a full stop to it. I will still leave the door open to hear what more is out there and I’m wondering how it compares and how much it differs from the SR2.

SR2 is on a completely different level when it comes to comfort, like a whole two leagues above, this is something I can say without even bringing the Phoenix out.

If you really really want to hear my opinion, I can bring out the Phoenix for a head-to-head comparison in the next few days. Just please let me know if that’s something you’d like to hear

1 Like

Honestly, you already helped me alot - I love the Sivga Phoenix and your review of them resembled most of my impressions. Kickdrum slam/impact is sort of important to me, but it would not be a dealbreaker if it’s a little less on the SR2. SR2 seems to offer fast & tight bass (in terms of quality) and your short but enthusiastic answer gives me all the reason to try the SR2 as my next upgrade.
Not sure when that will be
maybe when they start appearing on the second hand market.

1 Like

It is definitely an upgrade. The bass is more controlled on the SR2 and the quantity is decreased a bit, but it still digs quite deep (rumble). Honestly, everything is much more balanced and refined on the SR2.

No matter what, remember not to swear by anybodies opinion, but rather your ears. Make sure you listen to them in person and form your own opinion, then make the decision if they are worth the price and are a big improvement over your current setup.

2 Likes

Hi,

fresh and french user of ibasso SR2 (with rme RME ADI-2 DAC), i want to test this headphone. I find your playlist very interesting, i try to import to qobuz. If anyone is interess the link is here : Open Qobuz. I don’t find one or two album and i don’t know if it’s the best song (version) for each track. You can correct me if i make mistake. i hope it’s usefull for anyone :slight_smile: .

sorry for my poor english.

Have a nice day

2 Likes

Wow, very generous of you to make a playlist!!!

I am still enjoying the SR2, and it is still my go-to choice when it comes to headphones. I hope you are enjoying yours too =)

Thank you for the time you invested into making the playlist!

I havent tried the phoenix, but tbh, I am quite impressed with the bass impact of the SR2. Tesla drivers in general have quite fast and sharp bass, which is always nice, but the pure impact/slam isnt always there. The SR2 has a very nice balance of this IMO. Its not the pure vastness of large planar bass, but it never leaves me wanting.

2 Likes

@ZeosPantera will probably release a review of the iBasso SR2.

It’s just casually lying on the table. Exciting.

Everybody knows how much I love these, so I’m just curious how Zeos likes them

1 Like

What amp and dac do you think works best with them?

1 Like

TBH, most of my stuff worked well on them. They dont need very much power. Ran just fine off a qudelix as well as my P6 Pro and everything in-between except for my micro BL

1 Like

They really don’t require a lot of power. I think the most important thing to watch out for is that they don’t pick up noise from the amp/dac, the noise floor needs to be as low as possible.

I used them with my EarMen Sparrow. However, I did hear audible noise from the EarMen TR-Amp. You can grab a Sparrow, or other amps/dacs that have a low noise floor. You will probably be fine with the majority of higher-end DAPs, since those are made specifically for IEMs (noise floor is usually low because IEMs can easily pick up any noise)

Found a second hand SR2 (as new) with 20 months warranty left.
So excited, should arrive next monday :smiley:

@voja thanks for the review & short comparison

1 Like

Looking forward to your experience!

First impression: pure quality
Will take my time with them, but so far I really like the sound & comfort.

2 Likes

You know what, so far everybody has had very positive experience with these. Now, there have been some (I think it’s either one or two) people that didn’t like these because they expected them to be very open (let’s say like the HD600/HD6XX), but these sound like semi-open headphones.

Those people aside, most of us SR2 owners are really crazy about them. Just a really good headphone that deserves more attention (imo).

Am curious to hear what Zeos thinks of them.

1 Like

Tbh. I don’t like huge soundstage on headphones
and the SR2 doesn’t leave me wanting for more in those regards.
Where the Phoenix was pretty warm in terms of tonality the SR2 feels more balanced.
Everything else feels improved - as you’ve mentioned before.
Bass quantity might be slightly less,
but it’s a trade-off for better quality and more accurate bass representation.
The Phoenix has some rough edges, for some reason I can’t find anything even slightly “off” on the SR2.

My only hope is that these last for a long time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes