IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

Mom and Dad are having an AĂźr Audio fight! :sob::sob::sob:

That’d be my vote

6 Likes

I’ll concede that it is engaging. It wasn’t the right word to use because the Aurora does immerse you in the music and gets you hooked. I will say my experience with it is that it transports you into this low energy state that just submerges you. It is great for genres where the vibe is more chill than pump up. Im new to Reggae and Dub so I will take your word on it crushing those genres as it does make sense to me.

I will say I still think “excitement” is still missing for me and its probably that extra energy up top that the Aure has. For the genres I mostly listen to I like a bit of energy and pop that I wasn’t quite getting from the Aurora. The Aurora was actually pretty great for hip hop, pop and latin but for me it would be even better with a bit more energy up top.

3 Likes

I’ll join the fight and my favorite AüR is Neon Pro :joy:
Nails what I want for metal and rock, even if I do prefer DD for bass.

But slower electronica like dub on Aurora is awesome, also most jazz.

Aure has something extra on vocals that I love, lush and very expressive.

And since I can afford I can keep all of them

Ascension is also here soon, not sure how it will turn out. Looking at measurements we might get the Neon Pro with DD and better sub bass extension, and a milder Pina Gain that raises slower than NP.

I was going to skip Ascension, but got to tempted in the end. 10mm DD with similar material as Aurora but stronger N54 magnet. And the ESTs, happy they stopped at 2 EST to not ramp up price to much.

1DD 5BA 2EST roughly 700usd

12 Likes

Laely been using the Simgot EM6L and EA1000.
EA1000 is a new benchmark for single DD (if we can call it that with the passive radiator)

Highly resolving and more natural sounding than EA500, EA500 hit me wrong and I get sort of metallic timbre that is more or less resolved on EA1000.

EM6L is also good but not as impressed as with EA1000,
Remind me of a softer sounding Juzear 41T.
So in short a little to safe perhaps and boring :thinking:

17 Likes

Say @Ohmboy could we be getting an official Thread for the Monarch MkIII? I saw the Prestige Ltd and Hype 2 had one, but not the MMk3.

2 Likes

Will do buddy :+1:

Boom…

8 Likes

Thanks a lot :v:

2 Likes

Got those babies finally!

Too early for long impressions, but they seem indeed as something what I wanted them to be - buds in a form of IEM.
Two question marks are also checked off and positively surprising - there is no sibilance in male vocals (Homesick by Kings of Convenience I listened to earlier on Freebuds 2 pro where it was almost unbearable) + the fit is very good :+1:

More to come :slight_smile:

Ed1: Honeymoon phase bias disclaimer. After more than 1h I won’t say anything new that people didn’t say before, but - OMG - the timbre (the way real life instruments and vocals sound as compared to life session) is simply stunning and most life-like I ever heard in portable form! And the pseudo stage is also unbelievably spacious <3

16 Likes

Can you describe how you percieve the PR if at all? From all the reviews I’ve seen everyone just says it’d sound good. OK, but what does it mean?

3 Likes

Good question, it’s impossible to know what it does without dissecting ea1000 and removing it. Maybe it doesn’t add anything for what we know.

The passive radiator uses air pressure of the other driver to move, and when implemented can add some extra vibrations to the low end. Downside can be that it decays slower, but this can also help faster driver be more natural in decay.

The low end do sound excellent and improved over ew100p, ew200 and EA500. So maybe it works or it’s just down to driver type.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Hell yeah, love my Twilights, congrats :notes: :fire:

Is that the Hiby R3 II? What do you think of it and how’s battery life, as tempted to upgrade from my R3 Pro and tempted even just to get 4.4mm connection?

3 Likes

10mm is on the larger side of DD for the recent 2DD trend

4 Likes

Yes. I suddenly became a fan of their HYPE range. Very good tuning for metal without BA timbre (only noticeable on very old and bad recordings).

3 Likes

I’ve got R3 2 and its sick - I get like 10-15 hours of listening time via the 4.4 (screen on for most of it). Charges quick, clean and simple ui.

Such a great little device. Unsure if worth the upgrade from R3 Pro though, unless the knob + 4.4 is enough for you!

5 Likes

Technically we can since that PR is a passive driver.

2 Likes

Yes it is R3 II.
And hmm, coming from R3 Saber OG I would say that unless you really need 4.4mm the gen I is better option as for now (it may change after update of firmware). The UI works a bit slower on Saber, but album art is presented in a nicer way (full screen), album thumbnails actually load and the younger brother on FW1.0 has tons of small annoying bugs. The build quality is also better on R3 Saber IMO (better fit between the parts), knob on gen 2 sticks out too far and works with tons of looseness and like if there were sand particles in the potentiometer.

Extra power? I don’t care, but that may be important for you. The best part about R3II apart from 4.4mm socket is the price, but now that M300 was announced (SE only) I would probably go for the latter one

Ed: battery is very good (and probably a bit better) as @wueer01 said, but on OG it was also very nice already for my use

4 Likes

Thanks, good to know - got to hope the firmware updates will improve the operation.
Hmm apart from moving to 4.4 it doesn’t sound like there’s much of a step up. Don’t need that much extra power as I only use it on the go with EA500/Olina, just the 4.4 feels (a lot) more robust than 2.5.

2 Likes

Definitely, has android along with a MUUUUUUCH better SOC at pretty much the same price, the only factor I can see the R3S being better would be if you need a smaller device.

Of course I would still pick the Hisense Touch over either of them due to that battery life, especially if you are streaming. (local music might not work well due to the limited 110gb ish storage on it though.)

1 Like

I just wish the hisense touch wasn’t so big. It makes perfect why it is since its an e-reader but I dont need an e-reader, I need the M300 with 3.5/4.4 and an e-ink display damnit!