IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

Hmmm might have to add the Explorer to my cart. It’s a great looking IEM and priced pretty competitively. Thank you.

2 Likes

The Explorer is really enjoyable with Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera. The bass sounds just right.

2 Likes

So it doesn’t simply improve the bass like pr, what’s it’s function?

1 Like

Epz Q1 Pro Review

Pros

• Gorgeous faceplate
  • Good detail retrieval and technical performance
  • Great fit and comfort
  • Good treble extension

Cons

• Bass performance leaves something to be desired

• Dry lower mids and Shouty upper mids

• Not the most natural timber

• Too much presence region for my liking

Design, Fit, and Accessories

The first thing that struck me after I got Q1 pro was its design, specially its faceplate. It looks absolutely gorgeous. The pearlescent blue faceplate glistens in the sun. The quality of the resin used is also very good for the price. Shells feel well-built and sturdy, shells are on the smaller side and their shape is also excellent. So, fit and comfort is non issue for me. The isolation provided is also splendid. I did not receive the whole box so I can only comment on the cable quality. The cable quality is good, a slight upgrade from 20-dollar sets. The cable has metal connectors, It feels sturdy enough.

Frequency Response

To do my sound analysis, I settled on Final Type-E tips. The Epz Q1 Pro has a Harman-inspired tuning, which I can describe as a brighter Harman.

Bass

The bass is decent. It’s there to complete the sound, nothing more, nothing less. While the attack is a bit blunted and the decay very fast, making it feel slightly unnatural, the bass remains clear and non-boomy. The sub-bass could benefit from more texture and rumble, and the mid-bass might need more thump and slam for those who prefer a richer bass experience. Tracks like “Limit to Your Love” by James Blake and “Low Life” by The Weeknd highlight these characteristics.

Mids

The mids are decent. The lower mids are on the dry side, so both male and female vocals lack the heft and body to sound natural. In addition to the dry lower midrange, the upper midrange is at the Harman target level, which can sound shouty on vocal-forward tracks. This combination results in dry and shouty-sounding vocals. The timbre of the instruments also sounds somewhat unnatural. Tracks like “Hotel California - Hell Freezes Over” by Eagles and “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele confirm my findings. However, the mids maintain clarity and separation, which is a positive aspect.

Treble
The treble is also decent, it is smooth enough for the price. But, I find it to be too aggressive, there is too much energy from 4-6khz for my personal preference. This makes the instrument metallic sounding. The SSs in the voice are pronounced. Mid-treble is at the perfect spot, there is a small peak at 10k, and after that the treble falls off gently. The treble extension is good for the price.

Detail retrieval and Technical Performance

Due to its lean and aggressive signature, the detail retrieval is good. There is decent micro detail pickup. Technical performance is also good, the laying and instrument separation is also decent. The stage is also good for the price, but don’t expect too much, it’s still a 30-dollar set.

Conclusion

While Epz Q1 Pro impresses with its build quality and design, falling short in sound quality is a significant drawback. The faceplate is beautiful, and the fit is excellent, but the bass, mids, and treble could use improvement. It competes decently at its price point but is outperformed by some lower priced sets. I hope Epz takes the criticism mentioned above and works on the shortcomings to make the next release better and more competitive.

1 Like

Project M finds a special place in my heart for its neutral to slightly brightish sound signature. The openness in treble and the crispy instrument notes make me find this in my collection every single day.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. What’s the point of a radiator if there are vents haha

1 Like

Yeah I already ordered mine today and I am praying it’s really good as it is advertised. I was also going to get the Dunu Titan S2 instead for the accessories you get for that price is very well spent. Since I am in need of a break from Single Dynamic Driver IEMs, for I already have a lot of it and I currently got the Simgot EA1000s, it’s time to dwell into planars again.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Sound Rhyme SR9 - $300 1DD 8BA

Disclaimer, I bought this with a discount after I had a talk with SR on AE. He showed me the measurement, noticed it was tuned similar to DTE900 with less upper midrange and more treble. What I thought would improve the DTE900 when I had it.

First day impressions: I think Sound Rhyme SR9 is a really good hybrid for the ones who like energetic and warm sound, I belive technicalities can compete at its price with other $300 hybrids.

Bass is both deep and strong with very good body and punch, this is what I consider a basshead quantity and will be to much for some. It has good speed and is fast, but still have good texture. Bass reminds me of DTE900 bass, if I can trust my memory.

Midrange is thicker due the bass, personally I enjoy this for a lot of music but can take away some clarity. No shoutyness or sibilance in upper mids, while still having good presence with vocals and instruments. Treble have good extension and is fairly airy, and sound real on stuff like cymbals.

I love it so far, very enjoyable :beyersmile:

I will compare it with both Hype 4 and Project M in some days time, both at same price being hybrids. I can see them all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

16 Likes

I spent a couple days with the BQEYZ Wind, a $240 USD IEM featuring a 10mm dynamic driver and a bone conduction (BC) driver for bass and mids. This was my first experience with a BC driver. Thanks to AudioGeek and the EU tour group for the opportunity!

The standout feature is exceptional vocal separation, surpassing my pricier TSMR X ($400). Whether due to tuning or the BC driver, vocals had some special sauce that was very enjoyable.

Overall, it has a balanced tuning with smooth treble. Compared to the BQEYZ Cloud, there’s more bass volume but less mid-bass impact, though overall I found the Wind more to my preference. I missed some extension in the treble and sub-bass as well as mid-bass impact, though some may prefer this trade-off for the excellent vocal presentation.

At 38 ohms and 113dB/mW sensitivity, it’s easy to drive (worked well from all my sources: iPod 5.5, Quedelix 5k, Chord Mojo, Venture Electronics RA2B-FE stack). The small/medium shell is light and comfortable, though the nozzles are quite short. Moondrop Springtips worked well for me. The cable is fine, reminiscent of the Letshuoer S12’s.

The Wind could be for you if you’re looking for great vocal separation and a safe/neutral tuning, and want a taste of what BC driver can offer. Competition at this price point is steep though. Nothing I can recommend from personal experience, but worth keeping in mind as well despite different tunings/drivers: Simgot EA1000, Tanchiym Origin, DUNU Falcon Ultra as well as new(er) kids on the block like the Ziigaat Doscinco/Cincotres, TSMR FEAT, Binary Dynaquattro, and JUZEAR Butterfly 61T.

3 Likes

Maybe this already was posted, but Amazon has some screaming deals on Aful IEMs for Prime Day:

Explorer: $89.99
MagicOne: $83.99

Not sure how long they’ll last. I LOVE my MagicOne – paid $130 for it and would do it again.

2 Likes

All hail the new bass king, still some final tuning to be done and will come with a metal shell I was told @hawaiibadboy I tried all the FatFreq’s and Nightjar’s ‘bad boy’ trumped them all :loud_sound::loud_sound::loud_sound::muscle:

18 Likes

Oh, Canjam is going on right now isnt it?

Give us more pics!

2 Likes

I read that it has brutal bass and very good techs. But unfortunately I was just reading :smiling_face_with_tear:, no way to try them here… I’m surprised that the bass beats the FatFreq’s :hushed:.

*(The photo is from the net)

1 Like

I’d tried all FatFreq’s apart from the Maestro…but that set was fucking next level absolutely bonkers, the kill Jill bass drop destroyed me lol…it’s not going to be cheap though :frowning:

3 Likes

New Thieaudio set with a BC…

Finally got try it and :heart: it…

A set which is work in progress from the tip manufacturer Pentaconn, I really like this set too…

…They also had a more expensive finished set on sale (£650) that was solid brass and looked amazing in the flesh but fit was not great for me :cry:

I stupidly didn’t take a pic but I was really impressed with Letshuoer’s Cadenza 12 too.

16 Likes

oh, any info on the type? Piezo or voice coil (bass shaker) type?

You said hello to DCS yet? :joy:

4 Likes

She was a bit sketchy on that, she just said “special” lol.

Nah stayed out of all that I’m not really a HP guy anyway…I did meet Z briefly he was really busy on his ERIS HP table and I have to say for the price he’s done a great job tuning that set…solid bass with no bleed, mids are there and ok and the is treble is non fatiguing so easy to turn up or an all day listen, they’re comfy too for HP’s so :clap: @ZeosPantera good job and nice to see you brother :smiley:

8 Likes

If I had to pick a favourite today it was FatFreq’s Grand Maestro with the new SuperStage module with switches up absolutely stunning…

13 Likes