IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

I’m not sure if you’re talking to me or @Leonarfd but if you’re talking to me, thank you so much :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

Haha lol :rofl:

2 Likes

Stop playing with me, Riku, or else… :wink:

IMG_8262

1 Like

:smirk:

2 Likes

Sorry - thought I hit direct reply - mos def was you (not that I lack appreciation for Leonarfd’s contributions)!

2 Likes

God DAYUM, that alien-looking mf is serious! :sweat_smile:

Too kind, brother, too kind. Thank you!

2 Likes
2 Likes

(not so) quick-hit observation: I haven’t modded my KBear Rosefinch yet (because I’m a lazyboy not because I’m an unalloyed basshead), but I have several times now had very enjoyable and long sessions with it at low volume - this set is a pretty sweet “loudness button” that works well with a pretty wide range of music that I’d normally listen to on most anything but the Rosefinch. It’s actually to the point where I’m thinking about never modding the thing because I have a use for this use case (gotta preserve the ultimate transducers by keeping the racket down from time to time).

Out of interest - has there ever been a “low volume gang” thread on the forums, or is that anathema to be killt with fire?

3 Likes

This guy is so mellow, I feel like I’m in anger management with a counselor.

6 Likes

Yeah, content aside, I find it very hard to deal with, tbh - maybe he has a natural appeal to the ASMR gang? There are some players in the MI demo space that openly court that demographic…

1 Like

My review of the Oriveti OH700VB a true flagship iem get a 5* from me

Pros:

1. Bass
  2. Fit
  3. Build quality
  4. Accessories
  5. 2 great sound signatures
  6. Switches that work

Cons: 1. Not for treble heads
2. Switches might prove to be fragile
3. Not for bass phobic people
4. Same cable as the OD200 maybe a higher class cable should be included at this price
5. Can’t really find much to gripe about

I’d just like to say upfront I believe we are all biased when giving our subjective thoughts about IEMs be it a particular type of signature that works with our music library or how an IEM looks and feels in our ears. On the subject of ears everyone’s ear anatomy is different and this effects fit and seal which in turn effects the perception of bass response so I recommend finding the right ear tips that suit your ears to get the best of any IEM.

The Oriveti OD200, which I bought for full asking price of $199, introduced me to the brand with a bang! So I thought it was time to see what else they had to offer and see if lightning could strike in the same place twice.

Disclaimer
Oriveti was kind enough to send me a sample set of OH700VB (variable bass) to review. I am not affiliated with Oriveti and of course was not asked for any copy checking before publishing, they are seeing this the same time as you. All pictures taken be me or taken from the Oriveti website. ALL opinions shared in this review are my subjective thoughts.
Make sure to research any iem before you buy!

The OH700VB retails at $699 and are available for purchase from their website

I’m more than happy to say that the OH700VB a 1DD +6ba did not disappoint! A superb example of a V shaped IEM done right.

I’m getting a little head of myself as per usual I’m going to leave all the technical details to Oriveti so this is what they have to say

"Hybrid IEMs are always popular in the audio industry because they combine the strengths of different driver technologies to produce a more balanced and detailed sound. The use of multiple drivers allows for a wider frequency range and better separation between different frequencies, resulting in a more natural and immersive listening experience.
From the 1st ORIVETI model, PRIMACY, which is 2+1 hybrid IEM. We keep developing the Hybrid model. OH700VB is based on the idea of creating a hybrid IEM that offers the best of both worlds. By combining six balanced armature drivers with a dynamic driver, OH700VB is able to deliver a rich and detailed sound with excellent clarity and accuracy across the entire frequency spectrum.

The mini switch on the faceplates allows users to switch between two sound tunings, giving them the flexibility to choose the sound signature to their liking
Precise Airhole for Internal Air Control The stainless airhole was designed to control the OH700VB Internal Air Flow precisely at the top of OH700VB. So that can provide the perfect sound for the users.

OH700VB combines 6 balanced armature drivers ( 2 for high, 4 for mid) and a dynamic driver (for low), all drivers are selected, designed and screened for the best sound. As a result, OH700VB delivers a rich and detailed sound with excellent clarity and accuracy across the entire frequency spectrum.

Specification
Driver: Exclusive 6BA driver (2 for high, 4 for mid) + 10mm Dynamic Driver (for low)
Impedance: 12 Ohm
Frequency Response: 20 - 20000Hz
Sensitivity: 112±3dB/mW, 1000Hz
Distortion: <1%
Plug: Gold-plated 3.5mm Stereo / 2.5mm balanced / 4.4mm balanced Plug
Package Includes
OH700VB Earphone body - 1pair
2 Pin Detachable Cable with 2.5mm balanced, 4.4mm balanced, 3.5mm stereo plugs - 1pc
Genuine Leather Carrying Case - 1pc
S, M, L Silicone Tips - 2pairs per size
S, M, L Foam tips - 1 pair per size

Cleaning Tool - 1pc"
Back to me.
The OH700VB (Variable Bass) are very well constructed of resin with beautiful faceplates (see photos) a medium sized shell that fit my ears very comfortably for hours on end.

The included ear tips didn’t really work with my ears seal wise so I ended up using Sedna earfit light large they are a large bore tip which worked well, Dinius Velvets also worked well but they slightly softened the dynamics. The include cable is the same cable that comes with the OD200 with changeable terminations. I’m not a huge fan of non locking terminations as I tend tug on the cable separating them mid song. While I used this cable for evaluation purposes I upgraded to a fixed 4.4mm bespoke copper/silver hybrid from CLAN Audio for long listening sessions. This was purely for aesthetic and practicality reasons due to my clumsy cable handling.
What do they sound like?
Around the hifi forums I’ve heard the description “Fun” in relation to this IEM, to me, fun means the iem I reach for, when I want to really enjoy my music. Something that releases the full scope of what the artist created in the studio. The OH700VB certainly does that with that special something that was at the centre of the OD200s USP Placing you in the music, even though they don’t remotely share the same sound signature. The OH700VB is unabashedly a V signature with big bass in both of its switch configurations the bass is textured, dynamic and layered, digging out details on songs I’ve not heard before. I’m used to IEMs exposing details in the mids and treble to have it in the bass region is a first. Hybrids can have coherence issues the OH700VB sounds like a single driver no trace of Ba timbre just everything working together as one.
Now V signatures usually mean recession in the mids, this is where Oriveti’s masterful tuning comes into play. Vocals don’t take a step back they are there front and centre with instruments placed exactly where they should be showing impressive depth to the stage with natural unforced width. What do I mean by unforced width? Some IEMs give an impression of super wide stage which sounds unnatural throwing instrument placement off.

The mids are natural and organic slightly warm with just enough edge to add excitement to vocals and guitars causing me to be drawn into the music, A very engaging musical experience.

The Transition from upper mids to lower treble is smooth completely sibilance free, even with Whitesnake’s Still of the night, a song that is the ultimate sibilance test for any IEM.
While the overall signature is slightly dark there’s still lots of detail. The upper treble has a pleasing amount of air and sparkle, without straying into fatigue levels.

The timbre of drums, strings, guitars and brass instruments is sublimely natural. Vocals both male and female are reproduced with every delicate nuance exposed, if a voice has gravel you feel it. Pure female vocals like Montserrat Caballé are imbued with emotion and sweet rounded clarity making an overall very satisfying vocals experience.

When it comes to switches on IEMs I’m not usually a fan as they are fiddly, awkward to change, often with little or no effect. The implementation here is super easy to use, want a touch more bass? easy just flick the faceplate mounted switch with your finger and the bass elevation is applied and this bass hits hard. with the switch in the up/off position it gains extra energy and definition. It has more air between instruments. Bass gets tighter and slightly less punchy. Making it a detail oriented IEM with good dynamics. I found myself using the switches to adjust the sound signature to suit the production of albums I was listening to while the IEMs were in my ears. No need to break off from listening, marvellous!

The sound signature as a whole is of big bass with clear clean mids with a little edge and smooth treble, an overall holographic feeling of immersion in the music.

When I’m evaluating IEMs I have a play list of roughly 100 songs of mixed genres. With the OH700VB I found myself listening to songs then hitting pause to go find the album to listen to it in its entirety just loosing myself in the music. I found they worked across most genres both smooth and aggressive.

Muse - 2nd Law album sounded Immensely grandiose with thunderous bass the guitars and vocals cutting through to great effect.

Lorde - Royals with its throbbing and droning subass was vibrating my head like being close to floor standing speaker her crystalline voice dancing sibilance free above just magnificent!

Joni Mitchell - Blue was a lovely intimate rendition the acoustic guitar particularly sounding detailed with the strings resonances from pluck to the decaying of the notes perfect. Joni’s vocals can sound a bit shrill on lesser iems not here the roundness to her upper register was very pleasing.

Steely Dan’s - Aja, one of the best produced albums in my opinion was just perfect, hi-hats and cymbals were natural with excellent decay staging was the best I’ve heard with good height, depth and width enabling me to pick out each instrument with precision.

Peter Gabriel - live album with the New Blood Orchestra. The full orchestra reproduced with amazing clarity and separation really placing me front and centre of the stage with strings floating around outside my head Gabriel’s voice intimate detailed always perfectly placed.

Lady Black Bird - Blackbird the subtleties of the interplay between vocals and instruments are played to such a high standard that it became intoxicating the space around each component of the song really placed me in the room. Another example of listening to one song leading me to put the whole album on. Black acid Soul is superb Acid jazz/soul mix produced and mastered to perfection and the OH700VB really makes the most of it.

Iron Maiden -Rhyme of the ancient Mariner - boy the dynamics of this track are amazing and are reproduced with pin point accuracy , I did not perceive any congestion in the guitars, bass and drums Bruce’s vocals were on point and unveiled just good headbanging fun

The Oriveti OH700VB is very easy to drive and I had no issues using them with Daps, Dongles even with my Sony Xperia 1 mk4 phone using the 3.5mm headphone jack.

They pretty much sounded good with all my sources, but they really came alive with a good source especially with the Sony Nw-WM1A where the synergy was strong. When using brighter sources I found myself using the tuning switches to boost the bass and add a little warmth to great effect. This is not an iem that needs an expensive source but it does scale impressively. When used with the Cayin RU6 and my phone I was in heaven it was such a lovely analogue hifi rendering of my music I listened till the battery drained out of my phone.

I’m not a fan of analytical sounding IEMs that force details into your ears like a photograph with HDR and sharpening set at max a decidedly digital representation. I’m more Vinyl on a turntable, Leica manual focus, sumptuous colours on kodak colour gold film, kinda guy, where if you look really close all the details are there but it’s the whole image you appreciate rather than just how sharp it is. The OH700VB gives me this feeling no matter which source I use.

Sources used:
IBasso dx170
Shanling H5
Shanling M6 Ultra
Sony Zx507
Sony Nw-WM1A
HiBy R6 111
HiBy R8
HiBy RS2
CAYIN N3PRO
CAYIN RU6
IFI GO BLUE
FIIO BTR7
FIIO M15

Comparisons to other IEMs

I don’t own many quality hybrids but my favourite till now has always been the Fiio FH9 also a 1DD 6ba configuration.
The FH9 has a different tuning, the bass is not quite as quick the bass quantity is similar, with less texture and detail the OH700VB sounds more “full”. The mids on the OH700VB are sweeter with just that extra level of detail, the sense of engagement that is lacking in the FH9(something I wasn’t aware of before) the treble is more coherent with the OH700VB, less “apart” from the mids with more air, a more holographic experience. The decay of cymbals and hi-hats was pretty much perfect to my ears. the OH700VB is a level above the FH9.
My next comparison is not really fair. The IMR Acoustics Titan a 1DD + Quad estats + Bone Condction which retailed at £1800 Inc Tax.
The amazing thing that shocked me was the OH700VB kept up with bass and mids only losing out on treble extension where the Titan pulled away by a good 10%. The bass on the Titan is amazing, detailed and textured but didn’t have the quantity exhibited by the OH700VB which also has just a touch more extention into the subass. The Oriveti tuning of mids is masterful on both the OD200 and OH700VB there’s just something organic and wonderfully anologue yet very detailed with excellent resolution. This is also something the Titan excels at making the mids a draw any differences would be about taste rather than one being better than the other.
Considering the price point of the OH700VB I think its a win for Oriveti!

Conclusion

I might seem over effusive about the OH700VB spouting hyperbole but these iems took me on an emotional Rollercoaster in a similar way the OD200 did. While having a very different sound signature I would argue they are great companion sets where its worth having both. I can see some people preferring OD200 and vice versa. Whatever Oriveti was doing in the few years they’ve been away its been very much worth the wait. If you are in the market for an IEM with a balanced analogue organic sound with big bass and have the budget I recommend you find a way to get to listen to them. Another hearty recommendation from me!

16 Likes

Aye Lachlan’s Ozzy that’ll be it :surfing_man: :om:

1 Like

Great, detailed review, thanks!

I ended up snagging the OD200 in part because of your remarks (plus earlier remarks on the EPZ Q5), and I am flat-out loving that set. Your description of them as being immersive is highly resonant with me - very easy to get lost in the music… :headphones:

2 Likes

Great review. Finally IEM switches designed for humans.

I think I know why you love them. I suddenly feel a strong urge to buy them. Help!

5 Likes

Actually, Lime Ears Aether R featured a design like this many, many years ago.
( :

2 Likes

Then I accidently switch the button. No thanks.

1 Like

Or gets caught on fabric/threads etc.and has more leverage for breaking off it it catches on anything. Definitely more convenient to adjust, but opens up other day to day issues.

I’m a low volume listener! But it’d be nice to qualify the spl - I just don’t have a 711 coupler or anything l like that

1 Like

My iem journey is now complete, life target achieved

Free gift from Tangzu Fudu

6 Likes

Chinese waifu instead of anime waifu. :joy: Congrats

2 Likes